Question Business Email
    What do you folks do for your primary business email? Do you set up an account using one of your domains, do you use a free account, do you maintain multiple accounts? Do you forward all your accounts to one master account? What seems to work best for you and why?

If you use an account on your domain/host, would the email history be portable if you change hosts or drop the domain?

What problems have you had that superCool should watch out for?

Do you do anything special to backup your email accounts?

Lot's of questions - thanks for any advice you can offer. superCool needs to switch to a new email account and he would like to make this the last time to do so (last time was supposed to be the last time, but you know how that goes).

Cheerio!

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Using ONE domain name just for emails, ie:
    supercoolmail/dot/com

Then setup email accounts for each network, ie:
    cj/dot/com/@/supercoolmail/dot/com
    sas/dot/com/@/supercoolmail/dot/com
    etc.

Contact email separate for each website, ie:
    website1/dot/support/@/supercoolmail/dot/com
    etc.

Use Thunderbird to download all mail into individual folders, including by merchant in each network.

Backup of emails is done with the daily backups on the local computer(s).

Problems? Easy to have 200 email accounts - but they're all in one place, nicely sorted.

By having all emails on one domain you can move that domain, and all email accounts, to it's own hosting account or server should the need arise. Also, allows you to setup email authentication (DKIM, SPF) etc. to better control spam and authenticate outgoing mail.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I point my domain to Google apps. Don't get the drag and drop but the spam filtering is good. I use the calendar extensively but don't love it as it doesn't send reminders if you don't accept the invite.

I now have 2 mail mail addess (I use to have 30+ that were forwarded to 1 account)

Here is what I have now

myname@ mydomain.com that I use for networks, AM's, Services, hosts, etc...

Then my second account is
    mydomain@ gmail.com that is the email address I use on my sites and other "Junk" sites where I hae to provide an email address. I would expect I will have to change this email address every few years if it get alot of spam but so far gmail is really good at blocking spam.

I download both addess to outlook on my workstation.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

3 addresses:

me@biz domain
    me@affiliate domain
    bogus@gmail (for sign-ups, downloading scripts, etc)

Send & receive all through Thunderbird, but I don't 'download' messages via POP3, I choose IMAP so messages can be shared across devices (ie. 2nd computer at home, iPhone & iPad).

Backup is via servers (except for gmail, but that doesn't really matter)

This is my favourite config after trying all sorts.. and it wouldn't be possible without Thunderbird.

Thank you for the replies. superCool will need to look more closely at Thunderbird. It sounds very promising. Would LOVE to have better control and organization of email.

Would anyone else like to share their approach or some tips?

thanks again!

I use Google Apps. Bought my name as a domain and that's the main account. All other websites/domains I set up as sub accounts. All email comes through the main account and I can send email as any of those domains from the one account.

I also set up the domain emails as 'catch all'. That way I can sign up anywhere using their domain as my email id: abestweb@mydomain.com. I don't have to go and individually set up the address, it just works.

On G Apps I get almost zero spam. The filters are totally customizable and very well maintained.

You can also setup Google Voice for each sub-account and get a free phone number for each of your websites. The availability of all the Google services is extremely productive, especially with the compatibility of Android.

Once a week I back up the services with Google Takeout on a couple of flashdrives and throw one in the safe and one in the bug out bag.

If you're an anti-Google person, then scratch all the above...

8. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calebtheredwood View Post
    If you're an anti-Google person, then scratch all the above...

And you don't mind them "reading" all your emails. Have a catchall gmail account that I redirect some business emails to so I can grab them on my phone under one account. Discovered I started getting emails from them trying to get us to merge our accounts. Only way they could have figured that out is if they were reading / associating email accounts being forwarded to that account. Will not merge / link our accounts. Plain and simple.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

10. Thanks From:

superCool is trying to move away from Google products, but the input on G products is very useful to the discussion. Lots of research to do still, but now superCool has some additional topics to look into.

The priority inbox of gmail is the only way I make it through the day. I get way too many e-mails. (e.g. many 100's per day)

I'm routing about 30 e-mail addresses through my gmail. I have my own mail server, but read/edit/send via gmail because of the spam filtering, virus scanning, and priority inbox.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

I have multiple email addresses, some on my domains and some free ones. I use Chaos Intellect as my email client and contact manager. Emails are stored locally, are organized by folders and also automatically tied to the contact. This makes it easy to locate the history of emails with a contact.

Thanks Cathy, something I want to check into. How is the calendaring with Chaos?

Calendar works good. You can set alarms. You can link to contacts. The calendar and contacts sync to smart phones via their cloud service or an app called Deja Office. The cloud service only syncs based on groups and I use categories so I am using Deja Office to sync to a Droid. I moved to Chaos Intellect after using ACT for years. Chaos Intellect is not perfect, occasionally buggy, but not terribly buggy. Very reasonably priced. They just had a major upgrade and the upgrade was free even though it has been a few years since I purchased the product.

I used ACT! for over a decade and probably would still use it if it was a SaaS. I have my domain pointing to Gmail Apps but have trouble with the calendar. I push invitations for calls but the other side predominantly Outlook users fail to accept so don't get updates.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread