Question What is the best way for a newbie to get traffic?
    Hello! I am new to the Affiliate Marketing. For the last week I've read a lot about the Affiliate and Internet Marketing. My brain is overwhelmed. However, I will start a blog. Since Google is mad right now, I'll put the SEO aside for a while. So how can I get traffic which would buy the products I promote without using SEO? Can the article directories help me? Or the social bookmarking sites? Guest blogging? Forums? Maybe Adwords or another PPC (I have $100 for now)? The list of potential traffic sources is huge, but I'd like to find out which of them are worth the effort and money. I just don't want to start wrongly. For now I want to get a single sale. I read that it takes 6-12 months for the most people to accomplish their first sale, but I have the time and the willingness. I just need a direction on which traffic sources to concentrate on.

P.S. English isn't my native language and I don't know it very well, so please excuse my mistakes if there are any. They won't exist forever, I will start studying English soon.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Your English is excellent, don't sweat it! Since you are eager to get traffic RIGHT NOW try PPC. Instead of jumping into Google AdWords try Bing or Yahoo. Bid low and work your ad copy. Look at your primary keywords, see what your competitors are doing and see if you can beat that.

Thank you!
    I'm not so eager to get traffic. I'll be happy if I get my first sale in 6 months. On the other hand traffic != sales, but it shouldn't be so difficult to convert the visitors into customers.
    I'll search for some information and tutorials about PPC and I may give it a try, but not in the near future, because now I have nothing to advertise. When I write 15-20 articles, I'll consider PPC.

I agree to start with PPC, but also at the same time start posting really good content to your site and start doing guest blogs. PPC is good to start but eventually you want to have it where you have organic traffic.

Now I have 12 articles in my blog. I still haven't put affiliate links in it, but I want to write enough content first. I've shown it to a few friends who are interested in the topic I write about and they've said that I write in an interesting way. I have a few ideas for a kind of interactive content which could become viral and could take affiliate links in an elegant way. I will try to popularize it through the social sites. I will pray for it to truly become viral.

After a month the summer break for us, the students, will come. I named this summer "Affiliate Summer", because I will give the Affiliate Marketing 8 hours (net) x 6 days a week. The problem is that the level of my English knowledge is limiting me. Usually it takes 60-90 minutes for me to write an article. I have problems to express some of my thoughts in English. That's why I will add to the everyday routine 2 hours of studying English words and grammar. So it becomes "Affiliate and English Summer".

I also "implanted" to my conscience very low expectations, so I will continue with AM no matter what I do or don't achieve this summer.

I think that this summer might be a life changing experience for me.

6. Thanks From:

Glad to hear a student is putting their summer off to good use. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. You can also post your site to the Review forum for feedback.

Make sure your content is interesting and that people would want to share it. I'm a newbie also but generated my first sale within 3 days of my sight going live. I had a bunch of articles on my website and shared them on relevant forums. I guess people really enjoyed them that they shared them like crazy on pinterest. My site has been up for a month now and I have regularly been getting traffic between 1000-2000 unique visitors per day and only 3-4 people per day are from search engines, so they are definately not doing a thing, 90% of traffic is from pinterest. I kind of brushed off the "viral effect" before but now I am definately a believer.

One of the themes I've picked up on from people around here, that isn't talked about directly all that often, is just doing stuff. For instance, if you have a few options for how to go about things and you aren't sure what is best - asking here is a good start, and from that just go do it. You will spend some time doing things that do not work... But from what I've read, doing a lot of things that don't work is how the old timers around here have figured out what does work, and they've built their own niches out of those mistakes.

So when you aren't sure, just start trying things, be sure you have ways to measure their performance, then evaluate how they worked out... Keep trying things, keep doing more of what shows potential, and do less of the stuff that never paid off.

Learning is important, and it seems like the best way to learn is applying advice, observing results, and continually adjusting. It's that sort of first hand knowledge and experience that seems to yield success judging by my observations.

Anyone who stumbles on a secret formula isn't going to publish a recipe - and if they do, they are going to charge for the recipe. And if they charge for it, they are going to charge as many people as possible for it - then everyone who paid for the recipe has paid to compete with everyone else using that same recipe. Just do stuff, ask for guidance along the way, develop your own recipe, and good luck.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

10. Thanks From:

Well said, Matt..

Modz, I was actually looking for this thread earlier.. I think you have a terrific attitude and wanted to wish you the best of luck during your 'Affiliate Summer'.. please keep us posted how it's going!
    asking here is a good start, and from that just go do it
    And if it doesn't work, do something else.. and so on...

I posted a piece last night without giving it much thought (usual content, 4-5 articles per day), but the tweet got picked up by a sports figure who has 1.3 million followers. My site has been on fire all day!! It will ease up, of course (it was a one hit wonder!).. but such is the power of doing..

12. Thanks From:

Thank you all! You are such a kind community!

I will ask for sure, but I will try not to torture you with a thread a day.

By the way, if a newbie reads this, I'd like to tell him that if he has problems with the motivation, he may consider reading some books about it. Thus I built very strong will to succeed. It may sound crazy, but we have 2 let's-call-them decision centers, it's like 2 different persons. The first one (the frontal lobe) is more rational while the second one (the limbic system) is more primitive. Sometimes the second one makes irrational desicions which are stupidly taken for truth by the first one... The second one makes you feel bad when you work on a website for a month and you don't have a single sale. The second one makes you procrastinate or just give up. And usually the first one doesn't resist although it is much wiser. You've probably heard of the power of will. Basically it's the frontal lobe refusing to accept limbic system's stupid decisions. I don't aim for scientific accuracy, my post is very simple for the sake of the target audience. You really should read some information by your own.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post
    Just do stuff...
    Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    ...such is the power of doing..
    Exactly!

Tested out something in February. Took several days to setup. For months was discouraged at the lack of results.

Upon reviewing stats/numbers for May was pleasantly surprised that the efforts put forth in FEBRUARY had started to pay off.

Nike has it correct - Just Do It. ...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I'll write a quick update although there isn't much to be told.

3 weeks of the summer break has passed. The initial schedule (48 hours a week) has been respected. I started from scratch. I decided to jump into the self-improvement niche. My plan was to create a blog with 30 articles, a 10-page report (which can be downloaded if you subscribe) and email series which contains 30 informational emails and 2 emails with the product I promote (which can be seen in the blog as well). All this writing came a little too much for me, but I'm finally done! It took so much time, because I've read some guides about how to write, SEO etc. Also, I didn't know anything about the self-improvement... Tomorrow I'll launch the website. After that I'll write for the next site and SE optimize the first site at the same time. I should finish the second website in 2 weeks.

The emotional part of me dislike the "dirty" work (writing for example), but the emotions aren't in charge of me. My dream is way bigger than some primitive emotions. So I ignore them when I work. After all, I prefer working this way for 20 years to being a corporate slave for the next 45 years. I believe that I'll outsource almost all of my work in a few years though.

Cool, keep us posted!
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

Affiliate Manager
    Excuse me, I'm a newbie too. I don't have a website but I intend to use blog and article submission directories to write my articles. Is that OK? I've heard about one SEO technique: Link wheel. Do you think it can help me to get more traffic?

Quote Originally Posted by tamnl View Post
    Excuse me, I'm a newbie too. I don't have a website but I intend to use blog and article submission directories to write my articles. Is that OK? I've heard about one SEO technique: Link wheel. Do you think it can help me to get more traffic?
    I have a certain attitude, but I'll restrain myself from commenting, because my opinion is based on what I've read (no experience is involved). It'd be better if a more experienced person tell you his opinion.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Huh?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

20. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Huh?
    I don't know why you and Chuck are confused, but if it's because of my posts, I totally understand you, I'm kinda weird.
    Last edited by MoDz; July 24th, 2012 at 02:21 PM.

You started the thread then made the comment:
    I have a certain attitude, but I'll restrain myself from commenting, because my opinion is based on what I've read (no experience is involved). It'd be better if a more experienced person tell you his opinion.
    Go ahead and tell us what you have learned and your opinion. That way we can let you know if its worth considering.

OK then.

Quote Originally Posted by tamnl View Post
    The article submission is a great technique to build links, but it shouldn't be the only one you use. Since Google is good at finding linking schemes, the link profile of your site should be as natural looking as possible. That includes getting links from different C-level IPs, from wide range of site types (e.g. video sites, article directories, blogs, forums etc.), using different anchor texts, and not linking them each other too obviously. The basic link sources are the article directories, guest blogging, forum/blog comments and social sites. There are a lot more link building techniques, but I think that these should be able to get your site in top3 or top5 if you've done the keyword research properly and chosen keywords with low competition.

The link wheel is a double-edged sword - if used correctly, it can boost your traffic, and if used wrongly, it can get you penalized. There aren't certain steps describing how to make a good link wheel, but there is a general rule - make it look natural. A plain wheel is too obvious. Google is likely to find the pattern you've used. Use your brain, in particular your imagination.

That's all I can say without getting into too much of a detail. I hope it will help you.

MoDz - how are things progressing? Did you ever test PPC?

-Mike

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread