Unhappy Struggling adding products to website! please help!
    Hi,

Right, I'm brand new to affiliate marketing and I'm having so many issues! Everything doesn't make sense, even after been researching for day's I cant find the answer to my questions, so I'm asking here, and hopefully someone can help me!

Basically, I want to operate an affiliate website that has a wide catalogue of products, for example 'Laptops'

I know to create the look of my website and everything with WordPress and I know how to buy a domain/hosting space, the only real issue I've got at the moment is, well, the products!

I've heard of datafeeds but I'm all confused!

I want to be able to add products to my website such as all the different brands of Laptops under categories pages such as 'Acer' and 'Dell' and when you click on them they all display in a professional format, just like an online shop, that follows the house style of my website etc.

Could someone please tell me how I go about doing this, it would help me phenominally, please!
    and also! please word it in simple terms!

Thanks so much

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    You need to figure out which eCommerce store you want to post products from then see if they offer a datafeed. Finally apply. You can join the affiliate networks then check to programs there to see if they carry the products you want. Then check to see if they have a datafeed, then apply to get the feed.

Quote Originally Posted by sf94 View Post
    Hi,

Right, I'm brand new to affiliate marketing and I'm having so many issues! Everything doesn't make sense, even after been researching for day's I cant find the answer to my questions, so I'm asking here, and hopefully someone can help me!

Basically, I want to operate an affiliate website that has a wide catalogue of products, for example 'Laptops'

I know to create the look of my website and everything with WordPress and I know how to buy a domain/hosting space, the only real issue I've got at the moment is, well, the products!

I've heard of datafeeds but I'm all confused!

I want to be able to add products to my website such as all the different brands of Laptops under categories pages such as 'Acer' and 'Dell' and when you click on them they all display in a professional format, just like an online shop, that follows the house style of my website etc.

Could someone please tell me how I go about doing this, it would help me phenominally, please!
    and also! please word it in simple terms!

Thanks so much
    If you have set up your WP site you can include links to a merchant's products within your posts.

Your merchant will have a unique identifier for each product so you just need the code for the product you wish to promote and link that to an image. The way I do that is at the appropriate place in my post I select "Add Media" (this is the latest version I think it was "Add Image" in previous ones) and select an image you have previously downloaded to your PC. (I keep all my images in folders relating to the products and with detailed descriptions so they are easy to find).

You image will be displayed in the drop down box and you then fill in the boxes below.

The first four boxes are free text but the "Alternative Text" (Alt Text) box is particularly important because Google apparently looks at this, or so I am told.

In the URL Link box insert the HTTP address supplied by the merchant's data feed, choose your position and insert into your post.

There are other ways such as setting up a table to include more images but try this and let me know how you get on.

Don't forget to test the link before you publish.

Best of luck
    0 to $1m before I am 70, Ok maybe 71 !!! (April 2013)
    You Can Eat Our Noodles Without Gaining A Pound
    What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare.

Take a look at my answer to this post in the Newbie forum

Quote Originally Posted by daiarian View Post
    If you have set up your WP site you can include links to a merchant's products within your posts.

Your merchant will have a unique identifier for each product so you just need the code for the product you wish to promote and link that to an image. The way I do that is at the appropriate place in my post I select "Add Media" (this is the latest version I think it was "Add Image" in previous ones) and select an image you have previously downloaded to your PC. (I keep all my images in folders relating to the products and with detailed descriptions so they are easy to find).

You image will be displayed in the drop down box and you then fill in the boxes below.

The first four boxes are free text but the "Alternative Text" (Alt Text) box is particularly important because Google apparently looks at this, or so I am told.

In the URL Link box insert the HTTP address supplied by the merchant's data feed, choose your position and insert into your post.

There are other ways such as setting up a table to include more images but try this and let me know how you get on.

Don't forget to test the link before you publish.

Best of luck
    I think I understand what your saying here through adding products via individual posts within the blog, however the type of website I'm trying to make I don't see how this would work. I'm trying to make something that works similar to: boutiquehandbags dot co dot uk which is an affiliate site also.

As you can see on that website, it looks very similar to an actual 'shop' website, but when the user clicks on a product it then links to the actual affiliates website.

Thanks for your time replying, if you could further assist me that would be great!

Thankyou

Ditch Wordpress. Whoever out there is advising people to use Wordpress for "storefront" websites needs to get kicked in the teeth.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Merged the two threads into this one as its the same question.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    As you can see on that website, it looks very similar to an actual 'shop' website...
    Smoke and mirrors. That is a WordPress site. Products are from the AffiliateWindow network. Probably with a WordPress plugin and lots of make pretty template design.

You have two choices basically:

• Learn to code
    • Outsource

Not possible to go into step-by-step instructions...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Smoke and mirrors. That is a WordPress site. Products are from the AffiliateWindow network. Probably with a WordPress plugin and lots of make pretty template design.

You have two choices basically:

• Learn to code
    • Outsource

Not possible to go into step-by-step instructions...
    I see what you mean, so the user has created a theme for the Wordpress plugin somehow?

I understand coding is needed and i do know HTML, CSS and the basics of PHP, however I don't know how to encorporate it into Wordpress.

Also, are the actual listed products blog posts within a WordPress page or is it done differently?

I see what you mean, so the user has created a theme for the Wordpress plugin somehow?

I understand coding is needed and i do know HTML, CSS and the basics of PHP, however I don't know how to encorporate it into Wordpress.

Also, are the actual listed products blog posts within a WordPress page or is it done differently?
    I have taken a look at the boutiqueshandbag site and I believe my site achieves more by linking directly to the order page for that product on the merchant's website, just my opinion.

I use a mixture of text, banners and images and getting over 1,200 visits a month after a year, not huge traffic I will admit but I am not a techie and have developed the WP site to the best of my ability.

This may not be "Storefront" but I cannot afford outsourcing costs and wish to remain in control of my site so WP works well for me. Take a look at ceilingtilesworld.com and see what you think it may give you some ideas.

If you have the funds then it may be more of an advantage to get an outsourcer involved.

Convergence, I have taken a look at smokeandmirrors.com (which is still being built) but it doesn't look like a WP site to me.

SF94 whatever you choose best of luck to you.

à chacun son goût

Quote Originally Posted by daiarian View Post

Convergence, I have taken a look at smokeandmirrors.com (which is still being built) but it doesn't look like a WP site to me.
    "Smoke and mirrors" is a term on this side of the pond that describes an illusion, which is what the boutique site is to visitors...

Thanks a lot for everyone's replies, there helping me try and piece together what I want to achieve. I still don't feel any closer to working out how to make a website look like the bag one as the example.

The only real issue I'm having is understanding how the products are actually added onto the website to look how they do look. I understand data feeds are used for bringing in the products, but does anyone know how the actual layout of the products are shown is made? It fits so seemleslly into the website design.

Also, does anyone know how the actual products are listed, it is a WordPress site, however how are the affiliate products on actual pages themselves, are these blog posts within WordPress?

I'm confused!

The only real issue I'm having is understanding how the products are actually added onto the website to look how they do look. I understand data feeds are used for bringing in the products, but does anyone know how the actual layout of the products are shown is made? It fits so seemleslly into the website design.

Also, does anyone know how the actual products are listed, it is a WordPress site, however how are the affiliate products on actual pages themselves, are these blog posts within WordPress?
    That's something you will have to learn...

Per the website owner:

The design is actually fairly simple and wouldn't take very long as there are only about ten pages where the layout is different. The hard part is making it function properly. The filters on the category page are from a plugin, the sorting feature is just some php code, and the single product pages make heavy use of custom fields. I know my way around wordpress and dreamweaver but im certainly no expert in web design. Probably took me a couple of months from start to finish.

You can submit a site review request here and link to your site if you want peers to take a look at what you have already done: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/site-...er-review-146/

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    "Smoke and mirrors" is a term on this side of the pond that describes an illusion, which is what the boutique site is to visitors...
    Yes I am familiar with the term, I recall someone once trying to sell some scam based on this idea, but was completely off track in my thinking.

Just having a senior moment!!!

Thanks a lot for everyone's replies, there helping me try and piece together what I want to achieve. I still don't feel any closer to working out how to make a website look like the bag one as the example.

I'm confused!
    The bag site is doing nothing at the moment so I wouldn't get to fixed on that, for my ten pence worth if you are staying with WP then try this.

1. Download the images of products you want to sell from your merchant.
    2. Get the unique http link to those products which includes your affiliate code.
    3. Down liad those into a post or page as I have previously explained,take a look at my site to see the result.

Also why not take up Chuck's offer of a site review.

Whatever you do don't sit around wondering what your next move is, start with something, anything, there is nothing to break and you will learn a hell of a lot by making mistakes, then correcting them.

17. Thanks From:

[QUOTE=daiarian;1122156]

1. Download the images of products you want to sell from your merchant.
    2. Get the unique http link to those products which includes your affiliate code.
    3. Down liad those into a post or page as I have previously explained,take a look at my site to see the result.

QUOTE]

Thanks for your help. I know not to get too into the bag website, it was just when I saw it I really liked the professionalism of the website and how it looked. I know I should really just try some things and get going.

I'm just assuming use WordPress becuase that's easier to get things going at the beginning. I've set up a virtual web server with WordPress installed so I will have to try around with some things and see what I can get... I just didn't quite know how to get going with it all...

Thanks a lot for your help.

I know this thread is old but I have a question for daiarian.
    I clicked around on your ceiling website and I see that after clicking into the images on the homepage, I'm taking to product detail page where I can see different pictures, options and dropdown box for colors and prices.

How did you achieve this? Are those tools for extracting product information part of your Wpress template or did you extract those product information (color, prices, availability, etc) from the datafeeds?

I'm just moving from HTML + CSS to Wordpress and this is something like what I wish to do on my website. So I know I have to learn PHP,MySQL and what have you.

I'm ready to set to work once I know what to do. Would you be kind enough to provide some helpful tips as you've been doing on this forum?

Thanks

solution?
    SF94!! I have SAME exact question! I recently bought my own domain and am an affiliate through several online clothing sites. Now, I'm stuck. I know I need a hosting site but I'm trying to figure out which one will give me the most options for designing (backgrounds, fonts, etc...). Was wondering if someone could help me out there (my domain is through GoDaddy and I love the header font now and want to be able to use that when I'm done with construction). Also, I need to know how to incorporate my affiliate products into my website.

For example, I have an aStore set up through Amazon affiliate program...how do I put the products from my aStore onto my domain under categories (handbags, shoes, women's clothing, etc...) and allow people to buy right from my domain.

Further, am I able to sell multiple affiliate vendors on my domain, (ex. Amazon, Forever21, LuLu's, Nordtsrom, etc...) without the buyer having to go to 4 different websites to purchase 4 different products (one from each vendor).

ANY HELP IS IMMENSELY APPRECIATED...I'm a newbie and want to get my site up ASAP. THANK YOU!!!
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; November 16th, 2012 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Removed Link

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread