What is considered a good CTR?
    Hello, everyone:

First post here and I'm glad to have joined.

I have a site that has one merchant featured throughout. I've had this site up for over a year.

Through this time, this merchant has yielded very few returns. I would normally blame something that my site is doing (okay, maybe something that I'm doing) except that I seem to be getting a CTR of between 25 and 35. As I understand it, this CTR tells me that 25% to 35% of impressions are resulting in click-throughs, right?

The problem is that I don't seem to get the conversions. In the last (over a) year, I've gotten only two or three, under $10 checks. At 10% return, I would think it would have been better than that. Or, at least, a higher number of conversions. I've contacted Linkshare support and they confirm that my links are set up and reporting correctly. Emails to the merchant disappear into a black hole. I do count 9 'Return Exceeded' non-commission able sales, but that is since April of 2011. Is that number excessive, average or less than average?

My links, by the way, are mostly deep links, so the visitor actually goes to the product they click on. Only a few are banners.

So:

1. Is a routine 25-35 CTR considered good, average or poor? Am I whining about numbers that only I consider good?
    2. Is it possible that the merchant is purposely getting the benefits of sales from my site but just not reporting them to Linkshare? It almost seems that this is the part of the chain that depends too much on the honor system on the part of the merchant. Anyway to police this?
    3. I am in the process of changing this merchant for another comparable one but I would like to somehow confirm the source of the problem before I go blaming this merchant.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by waizen; May 13th, 2012 at 10:10 AM.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    As I understand it, this CTR tells me that 25% to 35% of impressions are resulting in click-throughs, right?
    That number is meaningless by itself. How many impressions did you get to get a 25-35% CTR?

What's your conversion rate?

I do count 9 'Return Exceeded' non-commission able sales
    Compared to how many sales. The number by itself is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    That number is meaningless by itself. How many impressions did you get to get a 25-35% CTR?

What's your conversion rate?

Compared to how many sales. The number by itself is meaningless.
    Thank you, Chuck for responding so quickly. I appreciate it.

I have the feeling that I'm not understanding conversions as well as I should, or how to interpret what I read in the Linkshare control panel as well as I should. Let me try it this way:

When I log into my control panel, on the first page I see, the stats tell me that...this month...I have 293 impressions. The next line on that page, also for this month, it says I have 56 clicks. That would be just a bit over 19%, right? The next few lines say Orders/Click: 0%; EPC: 0; Orders: 0; Sales: $0; Commissions: %0;

Would those figures be any help to me?

You referenced "9 'Return Exceeded' non-commission able sales" and two valid orders. Does that mean you had 9 chargebacks for 11 orders?

293 impressions, for 56 clicks is good. 56 clicks is too small a sampling to determine if you are converting. Do you have a longer period to check the data against?

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    You referenced "9 'Return Exceeded' non-commission able sales" and two valid orders. Does that mean you had 9 chargebacks for 11 orders?
    LS has a reporting feature where they tell you the orders you provided for your merchants but for which the merchants do not owe commissions. These are primarily orders placed beyond the merchants' number of return days. I seldom look at this as it provides instant nausea and disgust.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

6. Thanks From:

When I last managed a LinkShare program I would look at those reports and see if I could lenghten the return days. Used it to motivate affiliates.

293 impressions, for 56 clicks is good. 56 clicks is too small a sampling to determine if you are converting. Do you have a longer period to check the data against?
    Your question made me curious regarding a long-term sampling. Within the Linkshare control panel, I went to the Advanced Reports and set the filter to report between January 1, 2011 and May 14, 2012 (today). I set the Report Type to Sales and Activity and it told me that this advertiser got 4294 impressions out of my site and my visitors gave them 1591 clicks. This came out to a CTR of 37.05 since January 1, 2011.

During this time, the result was 14 orders. Fourteen orders for a total of $138.14 in Actual Commissions.

I'm not sure if I'm answering your question about the chargebacks, but I got that figure by going to the Non-Commissionable filter of the Advanced Reports
    and set the time range also for between 1/1/11 and today.

So, should I dump them? Is this level of activity normal?

Those are VERY high CTRs as well as very high conversions.

One of my client sites will generate over 130K or so impressions and maybe 500-600 clickthrus per month. It is pretty much the same percentage with Commission Junction. With AdSense, CTR is closer to 0.30% or so. And this is with heavy promoting of sales via their Facebook and Twitter accounts, in addition to ads on the site. Actually, I have found Twitter to be the best way to promote sales.

If you are getting those kind of percentages, your site and the products must be highly niched.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread