Must I drive users to the vendor's site, or may I make the sell on my own site?
    I think the title is self-explanatory for this post.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    You visitors must click a link to the merchant's site to make the purchase.
    I think the title is self-explanatory for this post.

EDIT: Well! I had my answer in the title as well...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I don't really get it

Maybe it wasn't as clear as I intended it. What I'd like to know is if I have to drive the users to other's site, instead of making the purchase on my own website and then get the commission.

Maybe, some of you who's in the business for long may find this answer stupid, yet I think it's an important step. Sad but true, many vendors' websites are quite poorly designed. Thus I wondered: how much effort should I put on the design if then the user has to buy on a place that does not inspire much trust?

Being able to sell straight from my website could lead to time-saving and a better control on the users' stream.

Yes, maybe just the title wasn't so self-explanatory

Tax Paying Member
    That's the difference between being a merchant and being an affiliate.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    The other option is to become a drop shipper where you own the shopping cart and batch orders to the distributor. Much more involved but you will own the customer data and get a higher margin. Affiliates get between 5-15% where drop shippers get 30-40%. You will have to get a merchant account like Authorize.net.

Affiliates get between 5-15%
    Really? I've read on ClickBanks that many products could give up to 75%, do I have to believe it as a scam? Or maybe I don't understand something

What website like ClickBanks do you think it's the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Nonno John View Post
    Really? I've read on ClickBanks that many products could give up to 75%, do I have to believe it as a scam? Or maybe I don't understand something
    Ahhh, Clickbank. Clickbank deals in digital products which have a much lower cost of production than say ... shoes, flowers or jewelry. There is no additional cost of production with digital products, with the exception of licenses (if applicable, like music or movies) and network fees, so the profit margin is pretty much whatever you want it to be.

Now when talking scams and Clickbank (amazing how often those 2 words appear in the same sentence), the jury is still out. Many feel that the majority of Clickbank products are crap. And while there are numerous legitimate "products" on Clickbank, they are best known for the Internet Marketing "gurus" that seem to gravitate there to hawk their knowledge to the uninitiated (see SCAMWORLD: Huge Beatdown Of Internet Marketing "Gurus").

The good news is that if you want to market your own products on Clickbank, all you have to do is become an overnight success, write an ebook and convince other noobs that you have the knowledge to help them become successful. Or you can do like most of us and find real products to promote for real merchants on real networks. Just sayin'.

Hope that helps.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Now THAT is an Answer! Sure you do help Rematt!!!

Indeed, being a Newbie, Clickbank has been suggested to me from some network I came across as one of the best Affiliate Marketing network on the web. And you're right, all I've seen was digital, with almost no producion cost. I didn't know Clickbank deals only with that, cheers for that.

Then I started to think that AM was more or less this: converting the generated traffic into these kind of deals.
    Fine to me. I know there are a lot of money in AM and if that means there is plenty of people buying digital content, I believe it, but I would definitly prefer to sell real products!

Which affiliates websites do you think are the best and how much could the margin profit be?

I think this thread is really interesting, you're giving me very exhaustive answers so far

I would restate my question pals

How should I plan my research on vendors? Is there a way to find an AE program on a specified item? That would help a lot

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    "AE program "?? What is that?

Any Affiliate Program, lol, I have no clue on why I've put an E after the A

Tax Paying Member
    Check affiliate networks, ie....LS, CJ, SAS and others. The networks have their client merchants categorized.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

13. Thanks From:

If you want to get a fairly easy start, check out Shareasale(.com) and AvantLink(.com). Shareasale has thousands of merchants that cater to just about everything. You WILL still have to do your homework on SAS as there are plenty of absolute useless programs on there, but the right research can yield the better ones.

Avantlink, while not as broad in scope of offerings, has quite a few good merchants (but like any network has the useless ones too). But the guys who run it are top notch, so even if they're limited in categorical reach, they're still one of the best.

Clickbank has excellent products, if you can find that ONE percent of them. The rest are pretty useless, and like mentioned above, are just "the gurus" who come up with a quick ebook or program and try to convince the world it's the be all end all that you must have (and it's usually regurgitated crap thats easily found on the free web). More or less, I wouldn't bother.

If you don't mind small profits, Amazon is another way to go to sell quite a variety of things. But again, commissions are low, and you can probably find a seperate merchant selling something similar or the same for better commissions.

BUT, to answer the original question - Yes, you must drive the potential customer to the merchant's site to make the sale. Save for Amazon which has an API to build a cart, but it's still basically going through them. That's what affiliate marketing is about - you're not a seller, you're a middleman 'salesman'.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

15. Thanks From:

That has been very helpful guys, I thank you all

Later on today I will buy my first domain, install drupal on it and try to set up my first AM website. I will show it to you on the proper section today or tomorrow, waiting for it to be ripped apart by you in order to get the best suggestions as possible

This forum has give me some pretty good answer so far, you guys made a new friend!

Cheers.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread