AVG Do Not Track 12.0.0.2166 Extension
    So, I open up my Firefox browser this morning and find that it automatically downloaded the AVG 'Do Not Track 12.0.0.2166' extension. I clicked 'yes' to the download, as I assume most of my site visitors will, rebooted (Firefox and my computer) and then looked at my site for any blocks.

I was relieved to not experience any apparent blocks or messages but I am wondering if there are actually any blocks or problems happening to my links (deep links, mostly) that are not obvious to me at first.

Can anyone out there (you Linkshare company folks reading this?) confirm that this extension is not affecting my links? I don't see anything about this in the Linkshare control panel or messages sent by Linkshare. All Google search results are old.

BTW: when I check the 'alert me when active trackers are detected' check box in the extension, it keeps giving me a pop-up every time I go to a web page with Google Analytics installed (not just my site...all sites out there). That means the thing pops up over and over and over, site after site after site. I wonder how long people will tolerate this pop up.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by waizen; May 19th, 2012 at 09:34 AM.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    This is an add-on for a Firefox upgrade and has nothing to do with the LinkShare network.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    This is an add-on for a Firefox upgrade and has nothing to do with the LinkShare network.
    Yeah, but I was just wondering if it was also affecting my links. At first glance, it seems to be flagging Google Analytics (including this forum) more than anything else.

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Hi waizen,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I don't believe we have experienced any issues from this software update of AVG. We will try and perform this test on our end and get back to you on the results.

Edit:Do you have a link to where we can download this? I tried searching on Firefox Addons page in FF and I cant seem to find anything in my search for AVG.

--Ranae
    Last edited by LinkShare Moderator; May 21st, 2012 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LinkShare Moderator View Post
    Hi waizen,

Edit:Do you have a link to where we can download this? I tried searching on Firefox Addons page in FF and I cant seem to find anything in my search for AVG.

--Ranae
    Thanks for looking into this.

Sorry, I don't have a link. It downloaded on its own when I opened up Firefox. The only option was to accept it or not. Of course I could have opted to not accept it, but that is not necessarily what most Firefox users will do, so I accepted it to see what it would do. Nothing that I noticed on my end.

I messaged this to the tech dept at Linkshare and they told me it was a third party addon and there is nothing they could do about it (yeah, thanks a lot). I would hope there is something that could be done if it turned out to be a problem since something like this would affect their jobs, too, no?

Incidentally, I just noticed that the same addon is on my Chrome browser (version 19.0.1084). It is a button at the top-right of both Firefox and Chrome browsers. The icon image of the button is an eye.

I don't see it in I.E., Opera or Safari for PC.

As far as I know agree with Chuck. This has nothing to do with Linkshare at all except I don't know if this has any impact on any links in general. (not just Linkshare but any of the networks)

Don't really remember much how it happened except was fairly recently. Was having some back issues at the time and not spending a lotta time on computer when it happened. Think it happened during an AVG update. Believe it is set as the default and people can change it.

Here's more info about it: AVG DNT (Do Not Track) feature

Haven't had time to really learn more about it but was wondering if it would have any impact on affiliates if visitors do have it on their computers.

Forgot to say I believe is on Firefox, Chrome and IE
    Last edited by purplebear; May 25th, 2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: bein a dummy and forgetting to include info about browsers

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread