Strategy question about site transparency
    Hi folks. quick question concerning the strategic approach to being an affiliate website. I have my site online and have had great fortune in acquiring some very strong merchants. My question is this. When a potential customer hits on my homepage, how transparent should I be when it comes to letting them know they will be actually purchasing from a vendor and not me. Is it a turn-off for folks to spend time on a site, click on a product category and then realize they are being sent to an off site merchant? I would hate to breed resentment by making a customer feel duped. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks for your time....Zootman.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    The purpose of an affiliate is to extend the reach of a merchant. If you are offering a value to the consumer you don't have to throw yourself on the sword to do it. Perhaps affiliates can respond on how much of a disclaimer they put on their sites.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    On my oldest sites, and most added since, I do not mention anything about off-site merchants in content or in text links. The process is, however, fully explained in FAQs.

On a couple of my newer sites, I do say things like "Buy Now from Target".

I have seen no real difference in click through or transaction rates between the two models.

Beware of some merchants whose TOS say you cannot mention their name. I had to remove merchant IDs from some Popshops shops on one site when I added a merchant with this prohibition (or an existing merchant added this prohibition - don't really remember which).
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

The purpose of an affiliate is to extend the reach of a merchant.
    Thanks Chuck, I think that is one of the most clear and concise explanations of an affiliate site's purpose that I have heard.

5. Thanks From:

Ad Network Reps
    Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by zootman View Post
    Hi folks. quick question concerning the strategic approach to being an affiliate website. I have my site online and have had great fortune in acquiring some very strong merchants. My question is this. When a potential customer hits on my homepage, how transparent should I be when it comes to letting them know they will be actually purchasing from a vendor and not me. Is it a turn-off for folks to spend time on a site, click on a product category and then realize they are being sent to an off site merchant? I would hate to breed resentment by making a customer feel duped. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks for your time....Zootman.
    I work with many publishers and it is really a non-issue for most consumers. However, many of my publishers do place a small note in the FAQ or About US section of their site.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread