Secrets of Affiliate Marketing
    What are the common mistakes that most newbies encounter in affiliate marketing?

In my opinion; the biggest Mistake or Misconception that most new internet marketers have or make, is the idea of coming online - throwing up one or even two websites and making millions overnight.....

I guess we have all the so called self proclaimed Guru's to thank for this misleading info!

The fact of the matter is, that there is serious money to be made online through affiliate marketing, however I believe that it takes time, hard work, dedication, awilliness to learn & support to become successful at it. Kinda like paying your do's (or serving your time).

I think WebReviews summed it up pretty well.
    J. Duffield Affiliate Manager at Snow Consulting
    Let's Connect-PassTheSEO|#GSEG|Twitter|LinkedIn|Blog "Knowledge is Power."

Two big mistakes that come to my mind are thinking that making money online happens quickly. It doesn't, it takes hard work and a lot of time. Many want it to be quick and when it doesn't happen they get frustrated and quit.

The other mistake that comes to mind is allowing yourself to get distracted by constantly chasing a new method. This business requires focus.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Its Darwinism, if you take a million wannabe affiliates there will be a few millionaires, a few making $100k and several making a good living. There will be 1,000 making $100 a month. There will also be 999,000 making nothing, losing money or paying for a course that makes someone else rich. The secret is that you have to do something better than the others or as an affiliate make a site better than the merchant.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    The secret is that you have to do something better than the others or as an affiliate make a site better than the merchant.
    Shhhhh....
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

There is a strong tendency among newbies to take and follow every bit of "advice" offered on forums and seo blogs. Then two years later, while they're still grabbing at straws and pulling their hair out trying to figure out some way to make just three more dollars to meet a payment threshold to trigger a check in the mail, they direct other incoming newbies to the same BS advice sources that haven't done them any good yet.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

8. Thanks From:

Road To Failure..

1st Mistake - posting your hop links in Facebook, Twitter or any other social media sites.. (highly not recommended for newbies)

2nd mistake - Not building a list..

3rd Mistake - Being Product driven (Biggest Mistake)

Corrections.. Road To Success...

1st Mistake Correction - Don't post your affiliate links on social media sites.. use these sites to gain trust & build a good relationship with your prospects! Post latest news, or some useful information for your prospects.

2nd Mistake Correction - It is possible to make some commissions without building a list, but you're losing a lot of money.. build an optin box on your blog or create a squeeze page & send your subscribers a lot of valuable content.. then build a review site or send a short review to their email or just do it on a blog!

This way you can sell them multiple products, instead of doing a one hit wonder!

3rd Mistake Correction - Do some research about your market before choosing a product.. in a lot of affiliate marketing courses, the first lesson is always about choosing the right product & that's taking a road to failure..

My approach, first find out what your market is buying at the moment & sell that.. it's that simple.. don't be product driven, be market driven!

Those are the only 3 I can think of at the moment but I hope it will be helpful. All The Best!
    Last edited by Nytshade; May 23rd, 2012 at 01:18 PM.

10. Thanks From:

One of the biggest mistakes is choosing a product or niche based on 'what's hot'.. when you know nothing about the industry..

Just because summer is here, I'm not going to start promoting camping equipment, I'll leave that to the outdoor experts.

I'm not a big sports fan, so I won't be launching a site selling baseball jerseys just before the World Series.

Stick to what you know... it will be easier to build content and readership, and sales will follow. And yes, it takes time to figure out your own niche.

12. Thanks From:

OK T, what do you know and how did you get started with it?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    One of the biggest mistakes is choosing a product or niche based on 'what's hot'.. when you know nothing about the industry..

Just because summer is here, I'm not going to start promoting camping equipment, I'll leave that to the outdoor experts.

I'm not a big sports fan, so I won't be launching a site selling baseball jerseys just before the World Series.

Stick to what you know... it will be easier to build content and readership, and sales will follow. And yes, it takes time to figure out your own niche.
    +1

Translation: Know your products and your visitors...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    There is a strong tendency among newbies to take and follow every bit of "advice" offered on forums and seo blogs. Then two years later, while they're still grabbing at straws and pulling their hair out trying to figure out some way to make just three more dollars to meet a payment threshold to trigger a check in the mail, they direct other incoming newbies to the same BS advice sources that haven't done them any good yet.
    In my SEO FB group, we forbid using the word SEO expert or guru.
    There are so much 'experts' out there that are giving bad name to the whole SEO industry.

The biggest mistake tons of affiliates make is giving up. They put some effort into putting up a site and write a few blocks of content but get any income or traffic within the next day and call it quits. I studied for a year before I actually began making any money.

Affiliate Manager Yulia from DNP's Avatar
    The biggest mistake is to think its fast and easy.
    As affiliate manager ,i stumbled upon many people who wanted , no, desired , to become a good affiliate.
    All the rush and the hunger flew away as soon as they got a site up an running (downloaded a template for example) .Some people underestimate the hard work other people do. We all tend to do that when we hear things like- "oh that's hard, a lot of work needed to be done , not many people succeed",we all think to ourselves that maybe WE are the ones who could have done it better.Well,maybe we could, but i have seen drive that stopped at " i bought a domain, uploaded a site " where money is not falling from the sky? ..
    Again, it takes time, and only when people realize that its a long process, and yes, it is really sometimes gets really hard (for everyone including themselves), they will see results.
    [B]Yulia Borova
    Affiliate Manager - [B][url=http://DirectNetPartners.com][COLOR="Purple"]Tobacco Affiliate Program - GET 50$ Sign up bonus[/url][/COLOR][/B]
    Email: [email]Yulia@DirectNetPartners.com[/email] | Skype: DNPYulia | [url=http://www.facebook.com/pages/DirectNet-Partners/211572005534452]Our Facebook Page[/url][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    The secret is that you have to do something better than the others or as an affiliate make a site better than the merchant.
    Wow, I never thought of that. But how do you suppose to make one better than the merchant? If you can make one better than the merchant, wouldn't it make the merchant's product seems less credible?

You can market to the product level better than the merchant and I know several affiliates doing exactly that. You can do better SEO to a product level than the merchant and outrank them (and the competition) for that product name. You can create a price comparison site that list the same product for many dealers which they can't do. You can talk about a specific product honestly and say the better product is this one, which they can't do. You can list where to buy when its out of stock with merchant A but available from this much smaller merchant during peak season.
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; June 5th, 2012 at 11:30 PM.

Do you guys feel that each niche really has unique angles and strategies to become the most successful? My take is that familiarity with your niche is the most key thing and then having the ability to find something that works for it that 999999 other guys are not already doing is a great way to see success.

Thoughts?

Here is the first 2 things I thought of (based on actual real life events) :

Mistake #1: Choosing a niche based on a keyword tool that you have no knowledge about or interest in. In 6 months your site will be abandoned from YOUR lack of interest.

Correct Way: Choose your niche carefully, and have some sort of vested interest in it. ie: If you like gardening investigate niches in that vertical. If you like mechanical things, look there. Do not create a site on Acne medication simply because it scores well on a keyword chart.

Mistake #2: Going for free hosting, free logos, and pirated versions of software.

Correct Way: Treat it like a business and invest in what you need. Can you imagine opening up a brick and mortar store and running it as cheaply or illegally (think pirated DW) as some run their online biz?

Quote Originally Posted by WebReviews View Post
    In my opinion; the biggest Mistake or Misconception that most new internet marketers have or make, is the idea of coming online - throwing up one or even two websites and making millions overnight.....

I guess we have all the so called self proclaimed Guru's to thank for this misleading info!

The fact of the matter is, that there is serious money to be made online through affiliate marketing, however I believe that it takes time, hard work, dedication, awilliness to learn & support to become successful at it. Kinda like paying your do's (or serving your time).
    I agree and I really want to ad in that you have to know what you are doing, I mean you need to learn before you manage your own website and expact to get a bunch of money from it...
    [URL="http://affiliates.oranum.com/ref.php?w=100803"]$100 CPA / 50% Commission / 20% Referrals[/url]
    [B][URL="http://affiliates.oranum.com/ref.php?w=100803"]We double your first, $100 you make with us [/URL][/B]

Affiliate Manager Yulia from DNP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughTurkey View Post
    Here is the first 2 things I thought of (based on actual real life events) :

Mistake #1: Choosing a niche based on a keyword tool that you have no knowledge about or interest in. In 6 months your site will be abandoned from YOUR lack of interest.

Correct Way: Choose your niche carefully, and have some sort of vested interest in it. ie: If you like gardening investigate niches in that vertical. If you like mechanical things, look there. Do not create a site on Acne medication simply because it scores well on a keyword chart.

Mistake #2: Going for free hosting, free logos, and pirated versions of software.

Correct Way: Treat it like a business and invest in what you need. Can you imagine opening up a brick and mortar store and running it as cheaply or illegally (think pirated DW) as some run their online biz?
    Agree with you 100%, it has been something that i always been saying .Especially if you are a newbie. Dont go for the money makers.
    You will be better off with a less competitive niche that interests you.
    You will benefit from it from the fact that you will have the interest to go on and write and read about it ( you will have to ) .
    Less competitive niche that you invest more time and interest in, will have better results then one you are doing for the money and have no interest in.
    Well i think its a simple equation that can be applied on any issue in life which fits the criteria of what should i go for- something i like / do it for the money and hope for success.
    [B]Yulia Borova
    Affiliate Manager - [B][url=http://DirectNetPartners.com][COLOR="Purple"]Tobacco Affiliate Program - GET 50$ Sign up bonus[/url][/COLOR][/B]
    Email: [email]Yulia@DirectNetPartners.com[/email] | Skype: DNPYulia | [url=http://www.facebook.com/pages/DirectNet-Partners/211572005534452]Our Facebook Page[/url][/B]

Affiliate Marketing is all about patience. All newbies should know that this is a marathon, not a sprint. As everyone said in previous posts, don't expect to earn money overnight. That is not going to happen. Try to focus and to do everything step by step. Don't rush with anything and results will follow.

Quality, not quantity is what you really need!

25. Thanks From:

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread