Nope, I've never been to a US supermarket but after visiting this site I can only picture the kind of toxic stuff you can buy there. Mechanically separated chicken. Mmmmm.

http://kookychow.com/
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    We do seem to be a nation of fast food and convenience food freaks. My husband and I choose not to eat that kind of food. I prefer to buy whole foods and cook meals from scratch and most of our prepared foods are bought at a health food store. (If you haven't been in one lately you'll be amazed at the variety and quality of the foods they sell.)

OTOH, my best friend in college who was from Denmark thought U.S. supermarkets were wonderful. When they moved to the U.S. her family would go to the supermarket for a fun night out. They were astonished at the variety of foods available and enjoyed trying new things. They moved back to Denmark five years later and still have friends sending them care packages of maple syrup, Canadian bacon and other foodstuffs which are unobtainable in Denmark.

On the other, other hand, we don't eat Bisto, fried kippers, or haggis.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>On the other, other hand, we don't eat Bisto, fried kippers, or haggis. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haggis is wonderful. Don't let the fact that a proper haggis comes in a sheep's stomach put you off. Despite it's high content of icky bits, haggis also translates nicely to a vegetarian dish since it's pretty oatmealy to begin with.

However.. Marmite is the one you either love or hate. Personally, I like it. But it's basically yeast excrement. Oh well.

Ah.. Canadian maple syrup. We have a bottle of Rowse No.1 light in the cupboard - lovely!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Mechanically separated chicken <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then they load it up with nitrates.

Same goes for most other cured meats and breakfast beverages.

If you use artificial sweeteners in your nitrate-spiked coffee, you've got a one-two punch that combines to create one of the most toxic nerve agents known, which is also highly carcinogenic. Do it one more time by having a diet soda with a ham sandwich for lunch.

Virtually every other non-meat product is loaded with hydrogenated oils. And people wonder why the numbers in the obituary columns average out at barely 50 some days.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Haggis is wonderful. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> You are so right there Dynamoo. The day I tried hagis in Scotland is a day I will always remember.

What these Americans need is some good English foods not the fast food trash they get from supermarkets and cafes.

Good wholesome foods like lancashire hotpot, bangers n mash, fish n chips in newspaper, tripe (I loath this), thick pea soup (done with a real ham shank), toad in the ole, banana butties, real bacon not that stuff yer can hold up and see throug all these kind of foods that taste good and sticks to yer tongue.

These American people prefer wieners, bagels, gator sandwhiches, hot dogs and the worse of all po-boys, this sounds to me like a Deep South rich whitey's meal consisting of poor little colored boys that have no homes so this justfies eating them to get them off the streets. Needless I say I think it is one of Ms.B's favorite foods.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

I stick with country home cooking!

My favorite is Fried Chicken with black eye peas comes with fine chop onions and rice, corn bread and rolls, corn or green beans and some fresh made sweet tea (real sugar). Yummmm!

I learn country home cooking from Texas.

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

I'm so hungry I could eat a whole plate of pork brains in milk gravy and bloater pate covered in a thick layer of monkey gland sauce.

Nah seriously guys we don't eat that kind of garbage. We eat healthy things like Mcdonalds. hehe.

Speaking of strange foods does anyone know what part of the chikcen is in General Tso's Chicken? Or what kind of beaf that is that's all flabby soft and tongue-like in beef and brocolli oriental dishes?

We just returned last night from a two week trip that brought us from Calgary to San Diego via car (and via Montana, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, Nevada and California!)

We, unfortunatly, discovered we LOVE chicken fried steak. The good news is you can't buy that here anywhere...it seems to be an American Dish.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by parentsworld:
    We, unfortunatly, discovered we LOVE chicken fried steak. The good news is you can't buy that here anywhere...it seems to be an American Dish. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'll bet if you tried you could find a recipe online somewhere.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Tht may be what *some* Americans eat, but the yecchy-looking stuff on that site usually just sits there on the shelf in Michigan. Gross~!

Personally I like good wholesome Arby's roast beef, myself. (Wholesome = about as wholesome as McDonalds ) More (seriously) wholesome stuff eaten includes fish, chicken, and of course, my fave--STEAK!

Forget hot dogs, sausage, and other stuff that appears to be made from things you wouldn't want to know too much about. Although hot dogs are indeed popular with most Americans. Still, yecch.

Not that I dislike processed food in general--a lot of it's fine as long as it passes the "can I stare *real* close at it and still have my appetite" test.

As for the bacon, though, I like it American-style. That thick stuff never gets crispy--what's the point of having that instead of ham? Bacon that starts out thin and see-through = crispy and delicious when cooked!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Chicken fried steak... absolutely an American dish... as a matter
    of fact... It was first created right here in the great state of Georgia...
    (pronounced “jaw`- ja")

Don’t listen to those liars from South Carolina that are claiming
    that they created it first... they’re also trying to steal our birthright
    to the creation of Brunswick stew...

The perfect meal is...
    Chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes with gravy, corn on the cob,
    collard greens, corn bread, and washed down with a large glass
    of cold southern iced tea. Top it off with a piece of apple pie and a
    cup of coffee and you’re totally content... ‘course, you can’t
    move around much after that... but it’s worth it...

Historically it is worth noting, that some historians believe that
    this could be the reason that the North won the civil war...
    Damn, tripped up by our own Chicken fried steak...
    <Font size="1" color="99000">Never doubt anybody's word for anything... but... Always double check everything... - Grandpa</font>

Yuk! whole plate of pork brains in milk gravy and haggis...there goes breakfast

I'm culinarily conflicted for a number of reasons.

I was raised in New England (baked beans, clam chowder, brown bread),

by a couple of New Yorkers (bagels, lox, soft pretzels, gyro sandwiches),

one of whom spent most of her childhood summers in the deep south (sweet potato pie, fritters, collards, okra),

and I'm married to an Italian (pasta, parmigiana, peppers).

I love good food. I don't care what country it comes from or which ethnic group lays claim to it, it just has to be fresh and of good quality. Except haggis. My ex is from Glasgow but I could never quite work up the nerve to try the damn stuff.

http and a telephoto
    I have been the home cooking mama that cooked, grew her own veggies and canned, and went from that to the junk food junkie and NOW thanks to the food network (really wish they had an affiliate program!) Emeril has turned us into cooking mavens. I would have never, ever in the past tried to cook a $50 piece of beef, but with step by step instructions from Emeril, we had a New Year's Day dinner to remember.

The rest of the year we just take his recipes and adapt them to the more affordable cuts of meat

We are fortunate to have one of the best supermarket chains anywhere (as mentioned in other threads here actually!) in Wegmans. I can buy junk food and gourmet food and health food all in the same store
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    The haggis container is no more bizzare than sausage "casings." Thinking about it should have been the reason I stopped eating meat, but in fact, it is one of the things I miss the most.

Wayne

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by webpartner:

The perfect meal is...
    Chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes with gravy, corn on the cob, collard greens, corn bread, and washed down with a large glass
    of cold southern iced tea. Top it off with a piece of apple pie and a cup of coffee and you’re totally content... ‘course, you can’t
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I heard that!!
    Ebudae

Deb, couldja maybe get Wegman's to open a store in the Albany area? (Price Chopper and Hannaford's ain't so hot.)

I've gone so far as to send emails to Wild Oats and Whole Foods begging them to open a store nearby. The nearest supermarket sized health food store is over a two hour drive away! :weeping: The bagels here are so godawful I've arranged to have them shipped to us once a month from Connecticut.

Last time we visited CT we brought back two pounds of imported Reggiano Parmigiana cheese, several bags of groceries from Wild Oats, and three dozen bagels from our favorite bagel store. But you know, if you want you can buy a 60 ounce jug of sausage in pickling brine at any supermarket in this area.

http and a telephoto
    http://www.wegmans.com/about/storeLocator/

Start an email campaign Syracuse is a couple of hours from you, but might be worth the trip once!

D'agostinos in Manhattan had online shopping, but I don't think it included shipping!!!!

I'm actually surprized Wegmans doesn't have anything cooking in the Albany area, they are just recently heading south as you can see from the map.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Of course we eat normal stuff in the UK. Like steak and kidney pie (you can guess the ingredients) or steak and kidney pudding (no, it's *not* a dessert), black pudding (*not* a desert either - just a giant scab of pigs blood), Marmite (yeast crap), and a massive range of curries from the delicately spiced to those that are so hot you need to remember to put some toilet paper in the refrigerator.

Okay I have always wonder about the
    Chicken Fried Steak (I can cook them alright!) but their BEEF!

You should see how confused I was when I first look for CFS at the grocery store (when I was a newbie in US), you should see the lady that work there! I think she almost p$$ on her pants!

&lt;Edited to ADD&gt;
    FYI my english is ten times worse then! lol...

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by missdonna:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by parentsworld:
    We, unfortunatly, discovered we LOVE chicken fried steak. The good news is you can't buy that here anywhere...it seems to be an American Dish. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'll bet if you tried you could find a recipe online somewhere. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sadly, I did and found lots. Geez, just what my butt needs - chicken fried steak

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by webpartner:
    The perfect meal is...
    Chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes with gravy, corn on the cob,
    collard greens, corn bread, and washed down with a large glass
    of cold southern iced tea. Top it off with a piece of apple pie and a
    cup of coffee and you’re totally content... ‘course, you can’t
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This sounds like heaven! I had my first collard greens at a lunch buffet in Vegas on this same trip. LOVE them too. Mmmmmm...

Damn, I need to move to the States just so I can eat

Nah, you just need a good southern cookbook. Southern Living magazine has published dozens of them.

If you can't get collard greens at home you can get virtually the same taste with turnip or mustard greens. Wash them well, don't dry them, and cook them down in a big frying pan with a little olive oil, salt and some fresh garlic. Much healthier than the traditional way which uses pork for flavoring and I think it tastes just as good. (And they're loaded with vitamins and calcium, too.)

ABW Ambassador
    LOL, when I think of "American" food, I think of "Rice-a-roni" or "Velveeta" or "Twinkies" or "Wonder Bread".

IOW, processed foods that taste of sugar, salt and hydrogenated oils (or NOTHING in the case of Wonder Bread) and marketed to the hilt in order to make money.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread