How to become an affiliate with online retailers?
    Hi!!!

I am a really new newbee. Please direct me if this question is answered in any other forum. I am working on a website that will direct users to other retail website. what is the easiest way to implement to receive the commission from retailers?
    Ideally users should receive discount for going through my site and I should receive part of the commission. For example if a retailer provides 5% commission then 3% discount should be given to the user and 2% commission to my website.

Thank you!!! I am so glad to find this community.

Lightbulb
    for visitors to buy through your site, receive a discount, and you get a commission would mean you are running a "coupon site."

some merchants would automatically lower your commissions. some others would not deal with you.

people running pure coupon sites have to work very hard to keep up with valid coupons. so, while coupon sites can be popular, they are a lot of work and there will be long-established competition.

it is possible, though, to present links to merchants and mention coupon codes.

Thank you Herb. I am open to the possibility of users not receiving the discount is that better accepted by the merchants? how are these normally implemented - both technical and financial aspects? Are there third party codes that can be integrated on the site who already have established network of retailers?

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Hi newbee, and welcome.

You have a lot to learn and all of the answers are here. You need to spend several days reading and reading and reading, and once you have a full grasp of affiliate marketing, you can ask more specific questions.

But, to jump forwaard a bit, what you are looking for are affiliate networks - the third party interface that brings affiliates and merchants together, provides code, collects commissions, and pays them out (Most of the larger and popular networks have sub forums here), such as Commission Junction, Shareasale, Google Affiliate Network, Buy.at, Linkshare, Pepperjam, and also Amazon (not a network technically speaking, but rather the biggest and most trustworthy "in house" merchant program).
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, theres no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Thank you AffiliateHound. I will do the reading to learn more about affiliate networks. Do the affiliates normally have same list of merchants? If a single affiliate is not associated with all the merchants of my choice can my website have more than one affiliate or is it considered not a ethical practice?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by newbee View Post
    Thank you AffiliateHound. I will do the reading to learn more about affiliate networks. Do the affiliates (networks) normally have same list of merchants? If a single affiliate (network) is not associated with all the merchants of my choice can my website have more than one affiliate (network) or is it considered not a ethical practice?
    Think we need to get some definitions clear:

• Affiliate: Someone who MARKETS a merchant's website/products online
    • Merchant: Someone who SELLS products online
    • Network: Third party interface that brings affiliates and merchants together (thanks AH)

newbee, YOU are the affiliate.

Not all networks carry the same merchants. You can have as many merchants from as many networks as you like on one website...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

7. Thanks From:

Thank you Convergence. I now have better understanding about affiliate networks.

The goal - The goal is to create landing page links to merchants ( I am not planning to have deep links) and track the users who make the purchase. My website will have loyal set of users with login accounts, how do I know which user made the purchase?

Thank you!!

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by newbee View Post
    My website will have loyal set of users with login accounts, how do I know which user made the purchase?
    Sounds like a cashback/loyalty/rewards type site. Read each merchant's terms carefully as you will discover there are those that frown on these type of 'incentive' websites.

Each network has a way for you to append your affiliate link to track marketing efforts. In your case a user. Depending on how each network structures their tracking, you would use your user's id.

That's just the tip of the iceberg if you want to actually report anything to your users...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread