New and still wet behind the ears
    Hello,
    I am a newbie, two weeks to be exact. In those two weeks I have been reading, researching, and working on the foundation of creating a new business. I would like to be an affiliate and have a website. I started a blog, using a blogspot.com, and now I am confused. Help would be greatly appreciated.
    Do I need to move my blog to a domain website that I need to purchase?

I have also read in one of these forums that I should not purchase a web domain from the person I intend to host the site. Is this correct?

What should I look for when I am looking for a good host?

Can I advertise on my blog?

I understand that I need to build around my blog, which I am currently also working on. I just feel I need a starting point.

I am focusing on something that I love and have an interest. I do plan on building other websites on things that I have searched the internet for, only to find information websites that are just crap. Well…that just bugs me . Time spent searching the internet, only to find information thrown in there, unorganized, and offers zero help.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Time to get your feet 'wet', too

There are several threads here about hosting. You can find good, reliable, inexpensive hosting for under $10/month.

Buy your domain name from a company other than the hosting company. Don't be enticed by a free domain with purchase of hosting.

Blogs are how many affiliates get their start. With your own domain and hosting you can advertise on your blog.

Writing / promoting about something you love is a plus. Just make sure your love can be be monetized. Your first site will probably go through many, many revisions before you get a good feel for the industry.

You have to jump in all the way - get your feet wet, too...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

3. Thanks From:

Hi littlered,

What a great newbie post! If you would like to have affiliate advertising on
    your blog you need to host your blog on your own domain.
    You can put your Blogger blog on your own domain but beware that Blogger
    can censor you -- if you want a good read, checkout my problems with
    Blogger: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/midni...der-98749.html

There are many threads here expressing different opinions about hosting.

I will say that I bought my domains and hosting through 1&1 -- for me it was very economical.
    1&1 is a popular registrar. 1&1 has its pros and cons.
    I received 3 domains with a 1&1 hosting package; whatever problems I've had, they have not warranted a change in hosts as far as I am concerned.
    I think I've been with 1&1 since 2005.
    Read the threads about hosting: even hosts that are lavished with accolades can have problems you did not foresee: backups can be a hidden problem, CPU usage, file size/count -- there doesn't seem to be a perfect host.
    Take into consideration your budget and your the stage of progress of your web development.
    One great thing about 1&1 is that they renew my domains & I don't have to worry. For me 1&1 has been very economical -- now watch other Abestweb members come after me & call me names due to this point of view

Good luck! Get acquainted with the subforums, use the search box, look at the Unread Posts in the top navigation & jump into discussions!
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    ...now watch other Abestweb members come after me & call me names due to this point of view...
    Don't share your fondness for 1&1. Yer a poo-poo head...

Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Don't share your fondness for 1&1. Yer a poo-poo head...

See littlered, I told you so

Which host is perfect? One problem is that it's not always easy to
    differentiate among hosts because they describe their services with
    jargon that only those seasoned in the industry can understand.

If you only have a fledgling blog, do you really need the fanciest hosting with
    a separate registrar? Frankly, I prefer 1&1 as a registrar to GoDaddy but others love GoDaddy.

I was going to give thanks to Convergence for his initial post in this thread, but not now that he called me a "poo-poo head"
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread