Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Perhaps not so funny... but so true...

Joe Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for
    6am. While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his electric
    razor (MADE IN HONG KONG).

He put on a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA), designer jeans (MADE IN
    SINGAPORE) and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA). After cooking his breakfast
    in his new electric skillet (MADE IN INDIA) he sat down with his calculator (MADE
    IN MEXICO) to see how much he could spend today.

After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE IN INDIA) he got
    in his car ( MADE IN GERMANY) and continued his search for a good paying
    AMERICAN JOB.

At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day, Joe decided to relax for a
    while. He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL) poured himself a glass of wine
    (MADE IN FRANCE) and turned on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA), and then
    wondered why he can't find a good paying job in.....AMERICA.

Go figure.
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    • Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    • Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    • Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

Outsourcing sucks doesn't it. Don't support companies that do it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Outsourcing sucks doesn't it. Don't support companies that do it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ABW Ambassador
    Karl, ever thought of actually making a comment rather than rolling your eyes.. it's all you seem to be doing lately.

SamyT:

You're right. I'm torn between feeling I need to say something about comments that are clearly wrong-headed and sounding like a raving lunatic.

In this instance, saying "Outsourcing sucks doesn't it. Don't support companies that do it" is so simple-minded that it makes my head spin.

Two things to consider: 1) In the global economy in which we live, it would be next to impossible to follow that advice. Even companies that have Made in the USA on their labels may outsource certain functions.

2) To what end? What's the point in not doing business with companies that outsource business? In fact, if you follow that logic, no one here should do business with companies that allow affiliate marketing. Because, IMO, affiliate marketing is, in fact, outsourcing your sales force. This isn't even getting into the idea that it's possible, just possible mind you, that certain sectors of the economy are better served by outsourcing.

So that's the long version of the rolling eyes. But you're right SamyT, I've done that too often lately. I'll try to be more forthright -

karl,
    I enjoyed both the short and long versions!

The days when people were proud to use products made in their own respective countries are sadly finished.....
    it is now the power of the mighty dollar, pound, yen or whatever ones currency is that speaks.

I doubt there is a single person in either America or Canada who can say they have nothing in their house that is not in some way tied to another country, its the way of the world.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phillyBurbs.com:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Outsourcing sucks doesn't it. Don't support companies that do it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Let me also add a

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> and then
    wondered why he can't find a good paying job in.....AMERICA. ~JP Suave <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Americans' "job" is to SELL all that other stuff you mentioned!

America = the world's best store!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I agree with Karl...Well said. I'd like to add, just try to buy only American goods. You'd have a tough time getting the things you want. And you'd better have plenty of money

I'll admit the loss of jobs to outsourcing really suck (I have family members who've been affected, most have). This is a changing world and one must adjust to keep up. I suspect the days of working for the same company for 30 years is over too.
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Karl - see what happens when you try LOL

ABW Ambassador
    Hard to find products completely made in the US from US produced parts and materials. And when one of the biggest single purchasers of products on the planet, the US Government, is not inclined to purchase domestic products or services, we've lost the battle.

In the President's economic report to Congress this year:

"Outsourcing is just a new way of doing international trade," said N. Gregory Mankiw, chairman of Bush's Council of Economic Advisors, which prepared the report. "More things are tradable than were tradable in the past. And that's a good thing."

Wayne

I feel strongly on this issue - consumers always want the cheapest possible goods, which are usually imported, and then moan when all their local factories shut down.

In the UK it's getting to the point where for a lot of items, you can't find British or even European goods to buy.

However, I do feel that there's a small but growing consumer backlash here. So I'll share a money making idea with you (I just don't have the time to implement it)..

..I feel that there's a significant market for people who *want* to buy goods made in their own country, but just can't find them. If you had the time and resources to research this, you could build a site based around goods made in the USA/UK/Canada/France/Australia/whatever at least some of which would be available through affiliate programs. You might have to start with a lot of tramping around stores looking at labels, but if you can get it off the ground then manufacturers and visitors can submit their own ideas for products.

So potentially, this could be good for consumers, domestic businesses and you could make some money into the bargain
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Outsourcing isn't such a terrible thing if you look at this way: It's what allows us (US and western countries) to set the world agenda instead of follow it. Do you see Malaysia leading talks at the WTO? Do you see Mexico setting IEEE communications standards for wireless? Of course not.

Western countries excel at the complex jobs: research, design, innovation. As new products and services are developed, the first generation of products are manufactured or provided close to home. But as time goes on and they get easier and easier to produce or provide, it can be outsourced to places where production costs are lower. The same arguments have been made about automation as outsourcing. Robots remove the need for auto workers, etc.

But in the long view, all the seamstresses who lost their dress-making jobs to factories overseas, or coal miners who lost their jobs when boring machines replaced picks, were better off. These boring, no-future jobs are not what keeps the US in the lead. They aren't the jobs that keep US per-capita production among the highest in the world. These go-nowhere jobs get replaced with more interesting, as well as safer, jobs for people.

The short-term pain makes for good political fodder, but in the long run, outsourcing is what forces the US to keep its lead.
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

I don't think a "made in your country" store would be feasable. Some products badged for one country have the bulk of the work done elsewhere and only the finishing done in the country on the label. One example in my neck of the woods is the kilt. Plenty of them are now being made in India for half the price, how much more Scottish could you get? Once the kilt is made they're shipped here, checked and trimmed for any loose threads (finishing) and a label sown on saying "Hand Made In Scotland"
    Then sold to American and Japanese tourists at the ST Andrews gift shop for £300 at time.

Doesn't every company outsource at least some of their operation? What companies make a product begining to end?

ABW Ambassador
    Our t-shirts are ENTIRELY made in Australia

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Look4:
    Outsourcing isn't such a terrible thing if you look at this way: It's what allows us (US and western countries) to set the world agenda instead of follow it. Do you see Malaysia leading talks at the WTO? Do you see Mexico setting IEEE communications standards for wireless? Of course not.

Western countries excel at the complex jobs: research, design, innovation. As new products and services are developed, the first generation of products are manufactured or provided close to home. But as time goes on and they get easier and easier to produce or provide, it can be outsourced to places where production costs are lower. The same arguments have been made about automation as outsourcing. Robots remove the need for auto workers, etc.

But in the long view, all the seamstresses who lost their dress-making jobs to factories overseas, or coal miners who lost their jobs when boring machines replaced picks, were better off. These boring, no-future jobs are not what keeps the US in the lead. They aren't the jobs that keep US per-capita production among the highest in the world. These go-nowhere jobs get replaced with more interesting, as well as safer, jobs for people.

The short-term pain makes for good political fodder, but in the long run, outsourcing is what forces the US to keep its lead. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very interesting view of outsourcing. It makes good sense to me. People are resistant to change but in a free market world you have to adjust to keep the money coming in (even if you need to retrain to do it).
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> These go-nowhere jobs get replaced with more interesting, as well as safer, jobs for people. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> There are a hell of a lot of people living under subways and bridges etc. in the USA and most other western countries who would be so bloody grateful for one of these so called go-nowhere jobs.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.

YouTrek

I thought I was the all-american kind of guy with my sexy cowboy type looks and wearing my Levi 501 blue jeans. Damn things are made in Egypt WTF!

Remember the 80's? Remember Reagan got this nation to insist on American Made? Remember Wal-Mart was all american goods? Well guess what, walmart is all china now and no one says or does anything about it. We got wealthy in the 90's and have forgotten our values. Value isn't saving money at the store, value is giving your neighbor a job.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Value isn't saving money at the store, value is giving your neighbor a job. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I totally agree with you on that Heyder. I've always said "charity begins at home, if you have any left then give to others"

YouTrek

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Americans' "job" is to SELL all that other stuff you mentioned! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I sell all this stuff to Americans, But I'm from a 3rd world country... Guess those jobs too are going from America now?
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

Was just playing with my shiny new ipod, noticed that It says "designed in california, assembled in china" LOL
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

Don't get too comfy Affiliate Buddha this nation makes mistakes but it's people aren't going to just roll over and die. Like I was saying earlier we got too wealthy in the 90's and let common sense go out the window. Now times are changing and it's a matter of a couple of years before you'll see our store shelves stocked with all american made goods again.

BTW I want my American Made Levi's back! That really pisses me off.

I would Like to see that happen, Heyder, Personally, I hate Chinese ... be it goods or food , I'm more comfy with my burgers and hotdogs than noodles.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Sell my made in the USA suspenders.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast