Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    0% Commission. Is it for real?
    I'm sick of merchants doing this old trick to affiliates. I received an email the other day from 10-S Tennis Supply regarding commission change.

Previous Per Sale Commission: 10.00%
    New Per Sale Commission: 0.00%

As usual, I gave the merchant the resonable doubt thinking that it probably just a typo. So I emailed them and asked if it is for real.

To my supprise, the AM reply to my email and said:
    "We have to pause the program for a short period of time and will likely resume soon."

I was beyond speechless, to be honest. How convenience is this. It is French Open season, so they pause the program for "a short period of time"? And "likely resume soon"?

No Way. Not for me. Good Bye.
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; June 7th, 2012 at 04:26 PM. Reason: removed link

We have to pause the program for a short period of time and will likely resume soon
    Then THAT should be the body of the email..

"changing" commissions to 0% is deceitful - if they want the traffic, pay the price.

There should be no such option available to merchants. Thanks for the heads-up...

3. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    Then THAT should be the body of the email..
    As a matter of fact, that's the entire email response I got from the AM. No title, no explanation...

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    After reading this thread I applied, didn't see any mention of 0% or that the program was on hold. I do see that the commission percentage has been removed from the merchant view.

Ironically the 7 Day EPC is almost $300! Guess they made their money before they shuttered the program.

6. Thanks From:

They know that very few affiliates will be aware of their tactic and lose very, very few links. The majority of links will remain in place and drive traffic at zero cost to the merchant.

Deceitful for sure.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

8. Thanks From:

Outsourced Program Manager
    amazing. sort of like identity theft when they only place a $10-25 charge on ur card in hopes u will not notice it.

Merchants like this should not be tolerated
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

10. Thanks From:

Could ShareASale change the 10-S Tennis Supply Affiliate Program status to 'Temp. Offline Merchant'? Isn't there something, in the SaS terms for merchants, that would prevent this type of behavior?

12. Thanks From:

From ShareASale's Frequently Asked Questions:

What is an Affiliate?
    An affiliate is an independant organization or person, who is willing to promote a product or a service, in exchange for a commission should that product be purchased, or lead generated as a result of your online promotional efforts.

What is a Merchant?
    A merchant is an organization or individual who sells a product or service, and accepts orders and payment for those orders. Merchants pay commissions to affiliates for sales generated through their online promotional efforts.
    Now I understand that we're all responsible for keeping track of our merchants. I know that we need to make good decisions regarding who we choose to work with and maintain a constant vigil to insure that we're not getting screwed. I get that we have choices and that we need to make good ones. But at some point, the networks have to take some steps to make sure that programs remain viable. And in my opinion (and if you're to believe SaS's definition above), commission is one of the required ingredients to having a viable affiliate program. Once a merchant no longer offers a commission there is no reason for them to be on an affiliate network. It doesn't take a lot of programming magic to detect and suspend programs that set their commissions below a pre-determined minimum, or at the very least, flag them for review. Just sayin".

-rematt
    Last edited by rematt; June 7th, 2012 at 11:13 AM.
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

ABW Ambassador
    "Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; Yesterday at 04:16 PM. Reason: link baiting"

Chuck, could you please explain why you edited and hyperkinked the merchant I mentioned on? I purposely left the link out, I thought that's how we suppose to do when posting.

Mayfly, I do that so that the thread can get picked up in the search engines. You as a full member can hyperlink but most members are not comfortable doing that. I can say that its something I have been doing for at least four years and it has brought merchants back to resolve the issue. Since this is specific to one merchant I would also like to update the title for more attention but only do that with permission of the original poster.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    I do that so that the thread can get picked up in the search engines.
    The thread will get picked up WITHOUT a hyperlink. Why give the merchant a free inbound link with their name as the anchor text? Select some damning text for the anchor text. Then when it's resolved, you can remove the hyperlink.

SEO baby...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Guess its been working for me for years so haven't gone to that extent. The direct link to a negative post gets some quick attention, used to take a good 30 days to get indexed. Mayfly if you are uncomfortable with this I can remove it and we can see if there is any attention by the merchant. Just advocating for affiliates here, nothing gained by me.

ABW Ambassador
    Mayfly, I do that so that the thread can get picked up in the search engines. You as a full member can hyperlink but most members are not comfortable doing that. I can say that its something I have been doing for at least four years and it has brought merchants back to resolve the issue. Since this is specific to one merchant I would also like to update the title for more attention but only do that with permission of the original poster.
    I don't care much about if my thread get pick up by search engine. And I am not asking for the issue get resolved. I have left the merchant. My purpose is to warn my fellow affiliates about this type of merchnat's tactic. That's all.

If I want the issue get resolved, I would rather ask the merchant directly myself.

Like Convergence said, I don't want to give the merchant a free inbound link. Please remove the hyperlink. And please don't update my thread title. Thanks.

Then you miss the entire reason for doing this, regardless link removed.

ABW Ambassador
    Then you miss the entire reason for doing this, regardless link removed.
    Chuck, like I said, my reason is to warn my fellow affiliates about this merchant's tactic. Am I missing something here?

I did mentioned the merchant's name on my original post, tho. I only asked to to remove the hyperlink you added.

You thread warns members of ABW if they see the thread or search at a later date. That doesn't help those who research the merchant and look for their affiliate program on a search engine. Right now this thread shows up on page three of Google for "10-S Tennis Supply Affiliate Program". I see that Caleb linked out on post #7 to so that may sustain. With a targeted title and anchor text in the link a thread can go first page and many times Top 5 SERP. That serves a broader audience of more affiliates. It also gets lazy merchants to give due attention to their programs.

The outbound link has nothing to do with getting indexed.

Case in point -

Google

Apples to oranges, what is the keyword phrase for that thread?

Apples to oranges, what is the keyword phrase for that thread?
    Look at the search term and there was no "hyperlink" either.

Hyperlinks are followed so the linked to website can be found and indexed. Proper anchor text should be used to that anchor text will appear in the receiving website's stats, etc.

Bottom line is a hyperlink on a page has nothing to do with how quickly the page it is on gets indexed...

I am not talking about speed of indexing and since ABW is an authority site specific titles like that get indexed quick. Used to test it years ago and the best was 7 minutes.

What I am getting at is a highly ranked and relevant ranking in this case for "10-S Tennis Supply Affiliate Program" so an affiliate looking to join will find this thread and make an educated decision if they want to work with the merchant.

ABW Ambassador
    You thread warns members of ABW if they see the thread or search at a later date. That doesn't help those who research the merchant and look for their affiliate program on a search engine.
    Again, I did call the merchant's name on my original post. You removed the hyperlink you added and replaced the merchant's name with "a SAS merchant"(I guess you miss-edited). I only asked you to remove the hyperlink, not the merchant's name. I believe the search engine will pick up my thread if people search for the merchant's name, with or without the hyperlink. Just don't want to give the shady merchant a free inbound link. Hopefully I've made my thoughts clearly.

27. Thanks From:

I am not talking about speed of indexing and since ABW is an authority site specific titles like that get indexed quick. Used to test it years ago and the best was 7 minutes.

What I am getting at is a highly ranked and relevant ranking in this case for "10-S Tennis Supply Affiliate Program" so an affiliate looking to join will find this thread and make an educated decision if they want to work with the merchant.
    Because ABW is what it is - the phrase "10-S Tennis Supply Affiliate Program" will get picked up quickly REGARDLESS if it links anywhere. By linking to the term/phrase (anchor text) all you are doing is giving a quality link TO the merchant. Serves no purpose but to help the merchant. Change the anchor text to something negative and you will grab their attention next time they check their stats.

By your logic all the crap, nonsensical .info websites would be creating links for every word on a page to game the search engines...

29. Thanks From:

Sorry, missed that, must have grabbed the whole HTML, should be good now.

31. Thanks From:

Denis, want to talk further as this has been effective. Can we agree to disagree but are after the same thing? Would like to jump on a call but have to leave and gone tomorrow through Sunday.

You have my phone numbers - give me a call on Monday...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast