Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    quote:
    Dear Sovietski and Treasures Affiliates,

Many thanks to everyone who helped make 2002 a success. We appreciate the efforts of the 1000s of affiliate sites dedicated to providing relevant content and advertising for our products.

For 2003, we''d like to announce a few upcoming changes to our program:

1) Some of our catalog customers have noticed certain websites that attempt to mimic our own site in content and look -- even going so far as to replace our customer service numbers with their own. This has resulted in much confusion. Although you are certainly permitted to use product links and product images, clone sites will not be permitted and any sites found to be impersonating ours will be dropped from the program or find their commission reduced.

2) Certain websites have also been spamming search engines with the terms "sovietski collection" and "sovietski" which has been competing with our own listings. Other search terms are certainly welcome. Any sites using these terms specifically to direct traffic to our site (which is already listed in these search results) will also be dropped from the program or find their commission reduced.

3) Due to a large number of orders that have come down the line with conflicting information as to the referral, we will be implementing the following change. So as not to reduce the commissions from 15% for ALL affiliates, we will offer two options for commission levels. By default all affiliates will still receive a 15% commission for each sale they drive, but in the event that a customer tells us that they came to the site because of a catalog that we have mailed to them, the sale will not be valid and the order marked ''Unqualified Lead''. Or, as anther option, we will also offer a 8% commission on all sales you drive regardless of the source. Anyone wishing to participate in this model should please let us know by email so that we can account for this in CJ.

So I send them a sale and they send that same customer a catalog to generate further business. On that next transaction I can either opt for nothing or agree to get only 8% commission on all transactions.

15 years and counting
    quote:
    clone sites will not be permitted and any sites found to be impersonating ours will be dropped

I've seen a lot of affiliates cloning merchant websites, including Sovietski Collection. It's giving us a bad reputation. They must be the same one bidding on TM merchant names.
    Instead to reduce our commission the merchants should better give the boot to the offending affiliates. But once again, money talk, it's easier to reduce the commissions to everybody than to drop the bad affiliates or the parasites.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

ABW Ambassador
    Many months ago, I had to change Sovietski program to eBay, and I have got a higher EPC from eBay than Soviestki.

The reason to do that was, as showed by this general network EPC graphic, that they magically started to report a fraction part of sales:

I invite all soviestki affiliates to give a try at eBay, with a compelling page explaining what you could get at eBay you may get a higher EPC.

Fer

ABW Ambassador
    perhaps it is the HUGE 1800 number on each product page...

I wonder if they are going to provide proof along with the non qualified leads -- bad enough they only pay what they feel like paying (any merchant in general but higher rates of unexplained reversals at cj) I wouldn't trust most of them as far as I could throw em.

Personally they are just another merchant to dump off my site as they can not be considered an honest merchant when they penalize all for what a few have done.

Heidi
    Fit2a-t - Make Money Selling T-Shirts From Your Site!!

They don't think too highly of their affiliates or their affiliate program, do they?

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    2) Certain websites have also been spamming search engines with the terms "sovietski collection" and "sovietski" which has been competing with our own listings. Other search terms are certainly welcome. Any sites using these terms specifically to direct traffic to our site (which is already listed in these search results) will also be dropped from the program or find their commission reduced.

Wonder how long it will be before we see a term of an affiliate agreement akin to "you must deoptimize your pages for all of our TM's, you may not place in google for any of them before page 2 of the SERPs"

--
    The Newer Nicer Joseph

quote:
    Originally posted by Joseph Monuit:
    quote:

Wonder how long it will be before we see a term of an affiliate agreement akin to "you must deoptimize your pages for all of our TM's, you may not place in google for any of them before page 2 of the SERPs"

--
    The Newer Nicer Joseph

Boy their site must really suck if someone is beating them out for their name in google, hehe.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm not supporting this decision of Sovietski, however, December 2001 I made a $3500 sale with a commission of $520 (or something like that). It was NOT reversed and I got paid. Wish I could say that for other big sales with some companies.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

ABW Ambassador
    If any of you would like a url to forward your Sovietski click-thrus to, just let me know. I'll be more than happy to bear your burden.

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Dear Sovietski and Treasures Affiliates,

Many thanks to everyone who helped make 2002 a success. We appreciate the efforts of the 1000s of affiliate sites dedicated to providing relevant content and advertising for our products.

Well I hope someone's making oodles of roobles~!

Oh yeah . . . I guess Andy is . . .
    quote:
    December 2001 I made a $3500 sale with a commission of $520 (or something like that). It was NOT reversed and I got paid.

Brian
    aka Cyclone @ CyclonesFunnel.com

quote:
    Originally posted by 14K_Deelz:
    If any of you would like a url to forward your Sovietski click-thrus to, just let me know.

Now why would we do this when we can just replace them with a better merchant?

Heidi

Speaking of traffic exchanges, does anyone want about a thousand per day looking for prom dresses?

Name your price

quote:
    By default all affiliates will still receive a 15% commission for each sale they drive, but in the event that a customer tells us that they came to the site because of a catalog that we have mailed to them, the sale will not be valid and the order marked ''Unqualified Lead''.

Did you come to the Sovietski site via our catalog?

No.

Have you ever received a Sovietski catalog?

No.

Have you ever seen a Sovietski catalog?

No.

Do you have any catalogs at home?

No.

Do you know what a catalog is?

Yes.

Ah-ha! No commission!

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    a better merchant?

No comprendo.

Should I chang my poljot watch links over to GSI?

Their notice to affiliates was a bit dramatic, but y'all are reading waaaaaay too much into this.

But like I said, if y'all want to send your Sovietski traffic somewhere else, I'm right here

you forgot two

Do you or have you ever known anyone who has ever seen or heard of our catalog?

Do you or have you ever known anyone who knows someone who has ever seen or heard of our catalog?

quote:
    Their notice to affiliates was a bit dramatic, but y'all are reading waaaaaay too much into this.

I shall be here to remind you of this when you start complaining about all those sales that are reversed due to unqualified lead -- or if you choose the new 8% option -- all the money your losing for sales that you know came from your site but they are writing off as otherwise.

Heidi

quote:

I dunno, it reads to me like this, "We've decided to spend a lot on producing and mailing our catalog and we're not all that interested in your leads anymore - but if you insist on staying with us, we'll begrudgingly give you half of what we used to, if we have to."

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    so true as it represents no commitment to developing affiliate into a sales channel

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

ABW Ambassador
    I had a pretty good sale for them today. Got extended (normal when ship to is different from CC address) so I know they looked at the sale. Not reversed.

No more arguments from me. I'll make money with them while y'all just sit on the couch and ***** ***** *****.

LOL Deelz,

Will that be at 15% or 8%?

ABW Ambassador
    Big Fat 15%.

'Course they could still reverse it later for cancellation or invalid cc, but so much for the catalog theory.

This is what is happening: A customer gets a catalog in the mail. They go online to do a little shopping at work while the boss is not looking (don't we all?), and being the typical Yahoo or AOL'er that most Americans are, they have no idea what the hell a "url" is. SO they do what they always do, which always works. Just do a search for "Sovietski" or "Sovietski.com". Well, well, what have we here? Some affiliate has bid on a featured listing so they will get credit for the sale that was generated by the merchant's expensive catalog mailing campaign.

If I were the merchant that this happened to, I would probably have a similar policy regarding this matter. Do a PPC bid on "TigerDirect" and see how fast the constable can get the Valentine to your doorstep.

ABW Ambassador
    Lol I am suprised anyone is still selling their products after that mail out. I am one of the unlucky ones who built an entire website based around their products, painstakingly posting every single product link available from them via cj including resizing all images and serving them locally.

1000s of hours in. Gone up in smoke.

Yes the have paid well in the past but they have systematically cancelled all sales generated by me foe December and January.

The reason I was doing well is where they offer a graphical catalog, I offered their catalog with major text descriptions for every product meaning I had higher keyword density. Search engines dont see pictures. If you consider this copying a merchants website then you should try building one. It is not lazy and In no way is it easy or taking shortcuts.

I will waste no more time or effort discussing this merchant and suggest you all do the same.

Rgds,

Dirk Gardner

you know, I was ready to completely drop them... They have made me almost no money in the 8 months I have promoted them. However, since this announcement, I have had 3 or 4 relatively big sales. It is strange, isn't it?

I did just drop them, but only when I realised that they had just ONE product that I was promoting and never made a sale.

To be honest, it looks like an affiliate program in its death throes.. I'll certainly not spend any more time with a program that could reverse sales as and when it likes for no tangible reason.

________
    Please leave my port 137 alone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast