Question How Do I Determine If My Clients Would Benefit From an Affiliate Program?
    Hi everyone,

I was recently giving the task of researching and determining whether or not my client would benefit from an affiliate program. I'm not quite sure exactly where to start.

My client is in the education industry. The company offers books and software with curriculum for teachers to assist in teaching lessons and test prep.

The questions I've been told to answer are:

Do you think it's worthwhile for them?
    How much would they need to spend for a conversion?
    Etc...

So far, I've researched "teacher's tools affiliate programs" on Google and searched for companies through Commission Junction. I've found about 20 similar companies with affiliate programs and recorded their commission percentages offered. However, I haven't been able to find the average sale amount for each company to compare these percentages.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to further research this topic in order to give a definitive response to my client. What other tools can I use and what other questions should I research to determine if an affiliate program would benefit my client?

Thanks in advance for your help!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    If you are able to research affiliate programs you should be able to contact them and ask those questions. Learn the term EPC which is common between programs and you will have to reverse calculate what that costs per sale.

Smile
    Thanks for your help Chuck! I will start contacting these affiliate programs.

Kimberly, I'd love to help you with this, because I operate a web site serving teachers (an index of lesson-plan resources, primarily literature teaching guides), and I've encouraged a number of companies in this niche to create affiliate programs so we can profit together. (Many publishers of materials for teachers are still struggling with the internet in general.)

I've also been involved in affiliate marketing for 15 years, and five years ago I shared some extensive advice for merchants considering an affiliate program (below).

One problem in this segment is that for most publishers, there's a "baseline competitor" in Amazon.com, which usually offers your products for sale also, and which has established relationships with many (!) web publishers, paying rates of 5% to 7%, and of course a very high consumer trust level. Many education publishers have kludgy shopping carts and flawed checkout systems which drag down conversion rates, so that 5% from Amazon earns web publishers more than a 10% rate from the publisher. However, Amazon often has limited information about products in this niche.

I'd be glad to share some stories about specific failures in this niche, where publishers and retailers started with great prospects but "crashed and burned" because of some of the hidden pitfalls.
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; June 14th, 2012 at 07:26 PM. Reason: removed link

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    (Many publishers of materials for teachers are still struggling with the internet in general.)
    I can echo that statement as I have done promotional work for an outstanding teacher resource company. The difficulty is that teachers have no money so you have to appeal to the administration to get funding. On the other hand if your products are low cost then teachers even with their limited income will spend their own money when they can. I dated several teachers before getting married and was amazed at how much they put into their jobs.

6. Thanks From:

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread