I have little girls who are very highly trained not to knock on the door when mommy is on a business call. It's possible I used marshmallows to accomplish this...

Ghetto marketing means that I piece together random bits of work that I hire others to do off of outsourcing sites. If I need a header for a site, I'm paying five bucks for it on one site, then hiring someone else to make business cards out of it for pennies on the dollar. Then I make the changes that I need in something like microsoft paint because I don't know how to do design at all. Then I hire someone else to put a email capture form on my site because I don't know how to do that... I have to weave together all of these random products from different outsourcers, and often the least expensive ones I can find!

I know SEO, social media, I know copywriting (even though I'm learning so many new things lately) and I know wordpress. If I see a niche I want to pursue, I quickly throw together a site, rush in, and put all my energy into it.

If my affiliate marketing style were a car, it would be one that worked well and was well loved. If you looked closely though, you would notice that it had mismatched tires, a door that was slightly a different color, and a steering wheel from a completely different model of car. It would have an ipod player that I had "ghetto rigged" to work because the car originally had a cassette player, so it wouldn't quite fit in the slot. I would have put duct tape all around it so it didn't jiggle, but I would have painted the duct tape black so you couldn't really tell. Once you got inside, you would notice that the mismatched car door didn't latch well, so I had tied a rope around the door handle and secured it to the bars that held the seat to the floorboard. People who knew my car would describe it as "totally ghetto," but it would serve my purposes and always get me places safely. While all my other friends were saving up to buy new cars, I would be accomplishing my goals with something I had just figured out how to put together.

Wow, I put WAY too much energy into describing that metaphor! I realized that I was a ghetto marketer when I started working at a company with designers and social media managers and writers. It's so strange not having to do it all myself! Things work so smoothly and get done so quickly. They are integrated seamlessly instead of being rigged to make things fit. Makes me wonder how I'll ever make it on my own!

Thanks for the patience with the mistake. I'm glad to be a part of abestweb!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I started a new thread as I thought this post from Ashley's introduction thread was worth its own conversation. What methods have other affiliates/marketers done to create their sites, drive traffic, market?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Know many talented marketers that don't outsource and have beautiful, successful web properties - they can do it all themselves. So I guess the ghetto part is the nickel and dime outsourcing? "Get what you pay for" old adage...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I think the ghetto part is doing it in bits an pieces without spending much money, getting things done on a shoestring budget. Once you are making money you can have it done cost effectively by a professional. Until then its either learn as "trial by fire" or band-aide something together. For that reason when I see a beginner site but it is niche to my program I accept. Have to start somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    I think the ghetto part is doing it in bits an pieces without spending much money, getting things done on a shoestring budget.
    Yeah, what I said...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    So I guess the ghetto part is the nickel and dime outsourcing? "Get what you pay for" old adage...

I wish I was able to do it all myself! I often feel like my inability to do graphic design really limits my business. I want to be able to learn php, but I don't know it, so when I do, I have to outsource. Someday maybe I'll learn those things, but for now, I love that I have the option to pull things together from others!

There are a lot of free sources to help you learn that skill and I am sure members can offer them. I use Google image search for affiliate logos for co-branded landing pages. For programs I manage I always allow affiliates to use images from the merchant site when it is used to promote them.

php is a different animal and you need a more structured learning process but I am sure there are also several free sources. Or in that case it might be worth paying a little for an online training course.

There's a PHP Tutorial by w3schools
    PHP Tutorial
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I love w3schools, that's where I learned most of what I know. I will go back and look at their php training, great idea!

I use the google search for affiliate logos too, but what about when I need my own logo, like for internetmompreneur.com? (I don't know if I can post that here, I hope it's okay!!) I've tried and tried creating my own, but I just don't do well with design. My brain just does not work that way. I often think that if I could figure out design, or have a designer on retainer, I could do much more than I already do. Solutions?

Try Elance, oDesk or Freelancer and offer logo design for $25. That's a lot of money for a designer in a third world country.

I know I make myself sound like a complete newbie talking about this, I'm being vulnerable!

I use those sites all the time, but then I struggle to get my logo to look seamless with the rest of my site. I typically have to resize it to use it in various places, and my site ends up looking like I said, a car that was obviously pieced together. Or, it won't exactly match the colors on my site, or various issues of that sort. It's just one of the areas I struggle with.

Quote Originally Posted by ashleybcoombe View Post
    but what about when I need my own logo, like for [removed]? (I don't know if I can post that here, I hope it's okay!!)
    You know what the true definition of "ghetto marketing" is?

Continuously dropping your website name on a forum when it's against the rules. Spam is spam. Spam is ghetto marketing.

You were already asked not to do so...

I'm gathering this is not the best place for me. The point of this forum is: "Affiliate marketers—from newbie to experts—come to ABW to learn and earn more by sharing information about networks, merchants and best practices."

Apparently I learn by using my site as an example and asking for ideas and advice that pertain directly to my site. My intentions were good.

Thanks for your ideas everyone!

Denis step off, I got this one!

Ashley submit your site to the review forum on ABW and ask for help with getting your images to line-up properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Denis step off, I got this one!
    )$#)*%)$)(*$%$(*%

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread