Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    What?!?!?

(I am so stinking happy we left there. I will never, ever, EVER complain because it's cold, or it's icy, or there's three feet of new snow on the ground.)

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> (I am so stinking happy we left there. I will never, ever, EVER complain because it's cold, or it's icy, or there's three feet of new snow on the ground.)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some people obviously like to laugh at FL but personally I would still jump down there in a heartbeat, despite the hurricanes.

Forget those places that have miserable weather ("cold, or it's icy, or there's three feet of new snow on the ground") fully half the time--and another 1/4 of the time the weather is *trying* to be miserable, leaving only a couple of months of livable conditions--and forget me ever considering that ACCEPTABLE.

No, No, NO!!! I cannot be satisfied spending over half my life in frozen HELL!

And don't forget, it tornadoes and blizzards in Mich, just so we're not left out from the destruction factor...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

That wasn't laughter, it was a sigh of relief.

I like traffic lights
    All you need to live in florida is a house (including roof) that will survive hurricane force winds, an emergency power generator, decent fresh water storage and cases of baked beans.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rhea:
    That wasn't laughter, it was a sigh of relief. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The site the first post was referring to was having a laugh at FL.

(Jaws music playing)
    Or maybe it was the REAL weather report...
    (/Jaws music)

I like traffic lights
    That's the real CNN website, actually.

It's just got a security problem that allows you to inject an image onto that page.

Here in Orlando, we are going to get pretty close to our 3rd Direct Hit from a storm. Other lucky Floridians have only gotten one direct hit and a glancing blow or the outskirts from the other one.

Yet, I will still stay here because our 4 seasons are not

1. Almost Winter
    2. Winter
    3. Still Winter
    4. Construction

Laugh all you want at us, and we will make sure to send you pictures from the beach while you guys have 2 feet of snow on your sidewalks this winter.
    Chris Mayr
    When amassed, even dust can become a mountain.

There is a finite amount of intelligence but an infinite amount of stupidity in the universe

I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for several years, and I missed the change in seasons. Spring and Fall are so beautiful in some parts of the country, and while the weather in Florida is usually pretty nice, it got old after a few years.

I lived right on the Intracoastal Waterway, and things like the Boat Parade during the Holidays were lots of fun, but I prefer a little more variety, weather-wise. I couldn't stand Michigan, because I don't like the cold and the snow. We get some snow in Oklahoma, but not much, and the really cold days are very few.

Maybe I'll go back to Florida when I retire...if the Hurricanes leave anything! I hope everyone down there stays OK, and I hope this is the last one for you guys. Hopefully, it will weaken before it hits.

Andy

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    &gt; Maybe I'll go back to Florida when I retire...if the Hurricanes leave anything! I hope everyone down there stays OK, and I hope this is the last one for you guys. Hopefully, it will weaken before it hits.

Hey Andy I can still say thanks, political views aside LOL. You can still come back to Ft. Lauderdale after November 1, end of hurricane season.

&gt; when I retire

If this keeps up I might be headed your way if this keeps up when I retire. Don't worry still have about 300 more hurricane to go through. (If you calculate how many more per year by age my age)

I like traffic lights
    &gt;and I hope this is the last one for you guys.

Highly unlikely. We're heading into the active part of the hurricane cycle. Florida is likely to see numerous hits each year for the next 10 to 15 years.

This message brought to you by the magic phrase "reinforced concrete houses".

Just Lurking
    I guess twice was enough for most of my friends or they saw that CNN Weather report. They are packing up and getting out this time. I have a feeling Las Vegas is going to be busy this next week.
    Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!

I hated the weather in Florida. It was nice from mid-November until mid-April and then it just plain stunk. In April we had wildfires. No matter where you lived in the state there was ash falling and the smell of smoke even got into the house.

Then the rainy season would start and every day it was a high of 92, a low of 80 and 90+% humidity. And it pretty much didn't stop until early November. I don't have to mention the hurricanes. Everything seemed backward to me. When the weather is nicest daylight hours are briefest, and when the weather is at its worst daylight hours are longest.

And then there are the tourists, snowbirds and flakes. During the winter you can't get into a decent restaurant without waiting for at least an hour, and you have to buy movie tickets ahead of time because if you wait 'til you get to the theater everything is sold out. And we won't mention the elderly drivers and their craziness on the roads.

When I bought my house in Florida I asked the lawyer why there were so many documents I had to sign. She asked me where I was from and I replied, "Connecticut." She said, "You're not in Connecticut any more. This is Florida. Any scam that wasn't invented here was perfected here." Oh, and did you know Florida has the highest crime rate in the country?

Leaving Florida was a huge relief to me. I understand why some people like it but it didn't work for me one little bit. I do miss certain things though, like the lizards that were everywhere (including the A/C ducts in our house) and Publix.

I hope Ivan makes a hard right before it hits. You guys must be sick to death of hurricanes this season.

&gt;&gt;In April we had wildfires. No matter where you lived in the state there was ash falling and the smell of smoke even got into the house.

HHMMMM

(Makes note: April and Hurricane Season are both great times for a vacation northwards...)

&gt;&gt;a high of 92, a low of 80 and 90+% humidity. And it pretty much didn't stop until early November.

YESSSS nothing even remotely cold. Humidity sux but I can deal.

&gt;&gt;did you know Florida has the highest crime rate in the country?

NO!

Although they did tell me about the snowbirds coming in droves. I went down in Sept. and there weren't any yet, but I noticed clues like 4-lane highways and big malls. A bank person told me that those huge empty roads would be traffic-jammed come winter...

Leader, truly, before you sell your house and buy property in Florida I'd recommend that you rent for a year and try it out. The most unhappy Florida transplants I met were either from New England or the upper Midwest.

Florida has a lot of problems, environmental, economic and social, all of which are a result of overpopulation and development of a fragile ecosystem. Water shortages are imminent, brownouts are common, pollution is horrendous and societally it's quite fractured due to a very transient population, much of which is elderly. It isn't the happy "fun in the sun" place that's depicted in the ads. Granted, it's a neat place to go on vacation, but living there year-round isn't for everybody.

ABW Ambassador
    Florida is great.

Although we do get quite a few misfits moving down here who complain a lot, but you just have to tune that out.

Interesting.
    My wife has wanted to move to Florida for a while now. She is currently based out of Tampa and commuting from Atlanta. (flight attendant). I've been all for it but these recent posts, plus the recent adverse weather has made me rethink my position.

I still think that Florida is a good destination for me. The winter here is almost like death.

I know it's not Disneyesque but I wasn't looking for a carni atmosphere anyway. The area I'm looking at seems nice enough, crime-wise.

I already bought land there last year, but the house here won't be sold for a while. And I haven't started building yet, although I can hear a house calling to me, saying, "C'mon, BUILD ME, and then when it snows in MI you can look at it on the Weather Channel...and LAUGH!!!"

But I do think I'll wait to go down there again until the weather quits with the hurricanes! This year seems to have an unusual amount of them...

i miss NY on occassions, especially bieng in fl since its been taged the #1 vacation spot for HURRICANES!!...

Oh, the sun shines bright on my ol' Kentucky home!

Seriously, folks, it is lovely here. All four seasons but all tolerable. Long Springs and Falls.

Don't need to heat or air condition if you have enough common sense to open the windows and breath fresh air for the major part of the year.

Worst thing is the occasional Spring tornado. Of course, if they don't happen to hit where you are, even that is not bad. And, we have far fewer than many other places.

Even on rainy days the sun usually breaks through and makes everything sparkle.

And, it is only a couple of days drive to major parts of the country.

Anyone who hasn't checked out Kentucky is missing the boat.

I think Summerland must be a lot like Kentucky.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Well, I'm sitting down here in Central FL RIGHT NOW and it is great!!!

90 Wonderful degrees (I love the heat)! Great pool! And Weather.com's full of it--no "scattered thundershowers" at all!

The only thing bad about FL is I don't have a house here yet!!!

Oh, did someone say hurricanes~? Around here the destruction isn't so bad, except for the roofs. There are a LOT of blue tarps covering roofs (compliments of the Army Corp of Engineers, I read)! And the biggest empl*ment demand is for shinglers. And there are people coming in from all over with trucks to do debris removal.

With all the freelancers pouring in, most of the motels here are booked solid! I couldn't get into the same place as last year--not only is one level totally booked with debris-removal dudes who came to scarf up some of that w*rk, but the top floor is getting rained into due to their roof being gone...

But I was able to find a good motel a couple of towns down the road, and all is good now.

I'll be back in MI sometime next week --and I'm super-motivated to make FL my permanent address!

@ Ssanf-- I did stop in KY, and it is beautiful. Thing is, I don't *want* 4 seasons. I want Summer 12 mo/yr! That "winter" stuff can be something I only see on Weather.com...

ABW Ambassador
    Love my seasons. This year, though it was almost cold enough that the joke was actually true: "We have two seasons, Winter and the 4th of July." Down into the 20's tonight. But the colors are still breath-taking.

Wayne

Affiliate Manager Rob@GoFreelance's Avatar
    How about Florida without the hurricanes or the humidity?

We moved our business and family to Sydney, Australia - and now we would have to drag the kids screaming to bring them home. Sun, sea, sand and surf all year round - and your dollars go 40% further, too.

Working on my laptop by the pool on yet another perfect day today...it's a tough life, but someone's gotta do it.
    Rob Palmer
    GoFreelance

Now going crazy on Clickbank...top affiliate makes over $3000.00 per day. Taking the CB Marketplace by storm. <a href="http://www.gofreelance.com/cbaffiliates.html" target="_blank" title="Going Crazy on Clickbank">Click here to get your share of the huge profits...</a>

Yes, it's tough, I feel for you Rob...just another day in Paradise

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast