Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GAN and Commissions Being Lost Through Safari
    It has been brought to my attention that GAN is having issues tracking sales/leads coming from Safari Browser.

Is this true?
    How bad is it?

This explains my increase in affiliate concerns of missing commissions and drop in sales for June. I am working hard to resole these concerns and take care of my affiliates.

Any details you can share on this topic is greatly appreciated.

2. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    Hi Rich,

I got this letter today! I suspected something was off as well.

Hoping someone knows something.

For many programs, Google Affiliate Network relies on DoubleClick cookies to attribute user clicks to advertiser conversions.
    Because Google is not currently setting DoubleClick cookies on Safari browsers, Google Affiliate Network will be issuing compensation to affected publishers for estimated conversion activity via Safari, as determined by Google, that was not previously tracked due to the absence of DoubleClick cookies.

We expect to compensate publishers in the July payout for all such previously unattributed conversions.

We appreciate your patience and will follow up with additional details in the coming weeks.

Sincerely,
    Google Affiliate Network team
    affiliatenetwork@google.com

Google Inc, Google Affiliate Network
    1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
    Mountain View, CA 94043

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Because the Google is unethical and was circumventing Safari's default browser setting of "Do Not Track" - they got busted.

The Google needs to quite trying to track every human on the planet. GAN needs to change the cookie from DoubleClick to some other cookie that doesn't TRACK THE USER. Affiliate cookies are for tracking sales - not violating a user's privacy.

If only the dumb-ass humans on this planet knew what It knows about them...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

This is a bit worrisome in that the new version of IE is supposed to have Do Not Track on by default and GAN would need to not drop DoubleClick cookies for IE as well.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    I'd heard rumblings of this issue being revealed to some of my affiliate manager friends last week. Nice to see GAN admitting to it and rolling out some compensation plan. I agree with Convergence though - if Google would roll back their aggressiveness on tracking a tad and just place a cookie to track the affiliate referral instead of everything else, this could probably be resolved pretty quicklly - can't wait to see what happens when the next IE launches.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    This is a bit worrisome in that the new version of IE is supposed to have Do Not Track on by default and GAN would need to not drop DoubleClick cookies for IE as well.
    Is my understanding that the Google already bypasses IE's InPrivate settings in order to drop it's cookie. Difference is Safari comes standard with Do Not Track activated and IE does not - yet.

Question is: How come we hear about Safari tracking issues and not IE?

Any idea when they stopped tracking on Safari? Just looked, Safari is a little over 10% of my visitors.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Affiliate Manager
    GAN stopped tracking sales from Safari in Feb 2012 if you are using pixel tracking.

MediaPost Publications WPP, Vibrant Media Sued For Safari Workaround 06/05/2012

10. Thanks From:

Just got this message from GAN:

For many programs, Google Affiliate Network relies on DoubleClick cookies to attribute user clicks to advertiser conversions. Because Google is not currently setting DoubleClick cookies on Safari browsers, Google Affiliate Network is issuing compensation to affected publishers for estimated conversion activity via Safari, as determined by Google, that was not previously tracked due to the absence of DoubleClick cookies.

To estimate unattributed conversions, we used available data to attribute Safari conversions to clicks. We then calculated publisher fees using the prevailing commission rate at the time of the event and finally added 5% to account for any margin of error. We plan on using the same methodology to estimate conversion data for Safari traffic until the current situation is resolved.

Your compensation amount for estimated activity from mid-February through June 30, 2012 is now available in publisher interface reporting. This amount is listed as a charge, dated June 30th, under the name Google_Publisher_Fee_Adjustment_201206_[publisher id]. Please visit this help center article for more information on how to find charges in our interface. This amount will be included in your July payout.

Sincerely,
    Google Affiliate Network team
    affiliatenetwork@google.com
    Do we know if the issue is resolved now or if they will continue to need to make manual adjustments?
    Your Ad Here.

ABW Ambassador
    Doesn't look like it, hopefully soon:

"We plan on using the same methodology to estimate conversion data for Safari traffic until the current situation is resolved. "

In other words: "Trust us. When have we ever screwed over affiliates before?" -- Google
    Your Ad Here.

14. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    In Google Safari related news -

Google to pay $22.5 million to settle privacy charges: source

Google Inc is close to settling charges that it bypassed the privacy settings of customers using Apple Inc's Safari browser, according to two sources familiar with the matter.

Google to pay $22.5 million to settle privacy charges: source - Technology & science - Tech and gadgets - msnbc.com

16. Thanks From:

Anyone, including GAN, have any updates on this?

I hear there is a lot of restlessness with the loyalty and cashback rewards affiliates - threatening to join programs on other networks if they are available as this really impacts them more than anyone.

19. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateWarrior View Post
    I hear there is a lot of restlessness with the loyalty and cashback rewards affiliates - threatening to join programs on other networks if they are available as this really impacts them more than anyone.
    Any particular reason it impacts them more than anyone? Just volume?

Did receive an email from a merchant on GAN last week saying they, the merchant, had created a workaround.

Part of the email:

There is no additional action required on your end as the necessary fix is part of a post click appendix that we have set to function on all links.

Because of their business model. They are dependent on the affiliate network's tracking to pass along the info they need to match up transactions with their site members and if none of those transactions are getting tracked, it rapidly erodes confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateWarrior View Post
    Because of their business model. They are dependent on the affiliate network's tracking to pass along the info they need to match up transactions with their site members and if none of those transactions are getting tracked, it rapidly erodes confidence.
    Not doing any wonders for confidence with non-cashback/loyalty affiliates, either...

true dat

Umm, unfortunately I just remembered this after spending most of the day working on a page using quite a few links from GAN (yes, go ahead I know ya wanna call me a dummy, I deserve it lol was so happy I finally found the products that I hadn't been able to find much of a selection til today too )

Anybody heard anymore about this??

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear View Post
    Anybody heard anymore about this??
    For months I have been getting emails from merchants who implemented a tracking workaround. Have not heard anything from GAN directory about THEIR fixing THEIR problem.

Come to think of it, I should check to see if the guesstimate payment has been made recently...

26. Thanks From:

I got a guesstimate payment yesterday from GAN.

28. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    One of my merchants got theirs too!

Thanks both of you Guess that's better than nothing altho for somebody like me who hasn't had a sale with this merchant for quite a while (never promoted them that much before but using some individual products now) uhh not real optimistic about how they might determine any compensation given that scenario. lol Comparing all networks I work with GAN the least amount.

Would definitely feel better if they completely fixed the problem tho instead of the guesstimate payments.

Glad you got your payment isellstuff hope you get your payment too Convergence

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    This is absurd.

A month ago I got an email from an AM for a merchant about how my sales had dropped off. I responded with a long message that boiled down to two things: 1)This merchant's links repeatedly stopped working or tracking causing the need to continually redo them and I was sick of it and 2) Safari and other GAN-specific related problems.

I concluded with the statement that I had made the decision to no longer promote any GAN merchants.

I thought she would write back apologizing for the problems, saying they were being taken care of, and that I should continue with her merchant and GAN.

Instead, I never heard a single word from her.

I keep getting "Invitations" from interesting looking GAN merchants, but given the Safari situation and so many other problems with the network, and their apparent total disregard for these problems and disregard for their affiliates, I stand by my position.

I do wish they would take the time and effort to prove me wrong.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Bump.

Anyone from GAN care to respond to my last post?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast