Product Scraping - Customization
    Hello,

New member. Sorry if this isn't the right thread.

I am thinking about starting a blog and want to incorporate some affiliate content. Is there a tool I can use to easily pull product/price/image/etc data off from partner stores and then customize it in a way that looks good for my site?

Thanks!

Welcome to ABW.

Are you familiar with "datafeeds"? Someone can give you a quick definition here, or you can get a really detailed description of how they can be used by reading Dirk's comments here:
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/progr...ell-60200.html

If the merchant provides a datafeed for their products, you wouldn't need to scrape the destination site... You download the datafeed, parse it, then update your site using the feed data they provide.

There are tools that make this less manual and easier, but have limited customization options, and then there is parsing a datafeed using your own scripts which would allow you to do anything you want with it.

Others around here know more than me and can give better answers, but I wanted to get a better sense of where you are at currently so other posters could give you more help.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

I'll be sure to check that out. Thanks. Glad to be a member!

Data feeds seem pretty great. Is there anything that would automate creating a great user experience with these data feeds?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crunchyoyster View Post
    Data feeds seem pretty great. Is there anything that would automate creating a great user experience with these data feeds?
    Data feeds are only that - data. User experience comes from what you do with that data...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Agreed. However, is there any common tools that exist for those who are not familiar with coding. For example, I might want to create a black sidebar with "Featured Products" and want to make the product description from the feed a certain color. Is there anything that could make the process easier.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Can what you describe be done - yes. Absolutely. Is there a drag-and-drop or cut and paste common tool? Have no idea.

You have to have a starting point. "Common" tools are not always universal. Meaning: what works with one software/platform may not work on another...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    We have an extensive Tools forum with several third party datafeed aggregators. Recommend PopShops and GoldenCAN, backed by great people.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    GoldenCan is what I'd recommend - it's dynamic, so it will update as products go in and out of stock - which is way helpful and is really configurable. PopShops is cool if you want to be a bit more hands on.

Definitely do not scrape content from merchant sites, it's a violation of their copyrights to do it without permission and it's duplicate content by definition right? Paraphrase if you must or just write your own descriptions, who's to say your own descriptions might not be better.

Don't rely too much on feed content - think of it as creative and not content. Put it in context - include product links in reviews, or write some content on a topic and use a small feed selection to show off a few products that might interest your customers.

Google is effectively killing off "thin content" feed -powered sites over the past year and your best bet moving forward is to focus hard on answering the questions people are asking online and exposing them to products in the process.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread