Help please to decide which blog platform to use
    Hi there,
    Consider me really novice in blogging and I couldn't find this questiion asked or not. But I'll ask it anyway:
    First of all I know that there are advantages to have your own site. But currently I'm not planning to have one. So I started with blogging under blogger. I love it because of its user friendliness (to me atleast). I have checked wordpress which was a bit complex.
    Now my question is:
    My ultimate goal is to make some money out of my blog. Which one do you think is more suitable for SEO, pagerank etc etc.?

Thanks for answering,
    Joydeep

[Removed link. Read the forum Rules]
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; June 24th, 2012 at 06:54 AM. Reason: [Removed link. Read the forum Rules]

Moved to correct forum.

Most people use Wordpress for blogging.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Affiliate Manager
    I would have to agree, while I haven't used Blogger much. WordPress has a ton of plugins and tools that affiliates can use.

WordPress is great but i think the dashboard is just dull compared to blogger, its so much more fun looking at blogger dashboard.

From a nice n shiny perspective i'd go with blogger.

From an invest in your blog and customisation perspective I would definitely choose wordpress. The plugins that are available are just endless and it integrates with pretty much everything. I just think the dashboard is depressing.

First of all I know that there are advantages to have your own site. But currently I'm not planning to have one
    You can't place affiliate links on blogs hosted by Wordpress - Affiliate*Links — Support — WordPress.com

Blogger also has limitations..

The only way to make any real money here is with your own site. You can buy a domain for $20, and get decent monthly hosting for $15/month. And with that hosting, you will be able to install Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal, etc. (one-click installs are usually offered by hosts)

If you don't want your own site, make sure you choose a blog that you can transfer later, without losing all your posts.

I think Wordpress is better for Blogging...

Affiliate Manager
    Do you think that a newbie should build many blogs to rank in search engine? Or just one blog and promote it?

If I can't place affiliate links on blogs hosted by Wordpress, so which is better?

There is a middle ground between Blogger hosted blog and self hosting with Wordpress software. You can have Blogger host, but have your registered domain name point to your blog using Blogger's advanced features. It doesn't even have to be a "www" domain name if you can figure out how to modify a CNAME with your domain registrar.

I have one www.___.info blog, a blog.___.name blog, and a standard www.___.com blog, all hosted by Blogger.

Scott

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    > Which one do you think is more suitable for SEO, pagerank etc

Go with Wordpress

I think it choosing a platform for your domain is depends upon you, mean if you want to start a blog then WORDPRESS is best choice, if you want to start a forum site then PHPBB and so on. Lots of OPENSOURCE scripts are on the web to meet your need.

Teezone is spot on buy your own domain get it hosted and you own the site and are free to place your affiliate links.

"I have checked wordpress which was a bit complex"

WP is not complex at all if I can manage it anyone can and there are loads of free tutorials on youtube.
    Last edited by daiarian; July 6th, 2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Wrong use of quote function
    0 to $1m before I am 70, Ok maybe 71 !!! (April 2013)
    You Can Eat Our Noodles Without Gaining A Pound
    What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare.

Use wordpress it more flexible in terms of how you can use it. There are many plugins that you can use to enhance your blog/site mainly dealing with getting traffic to your site.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by masimka View Post
    so there are two ways. WordPress is really popular. but there is Tumblr.
    Keep this in mind...

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/1126463-post2.html
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

This is an affiliate marketing forum - sites should be hosted on your own domain, full-stop.

I've read plenty of comments lately where members are recommending third party domains - Wordpress.com, Blogger, and now Tumblr. Those are for hobbyists.. if you want to make money, and become a real affiliate marketer, install software (CMS, or any other app) on your own domain.

Don't even think about writing for any domain but your own.

15. Thanks From:

+1

On that note, vote this thread is closed!

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    This is an affiliate marketing forum - sites should be hosted on your own domain, full-stop.

I've read plenty of comments lately where members are recommending third party domains - Wordpress.com, Blogger, and now Tumblr. Those are for hobbyists.. if you want to make money, and become a real affiliate marketer, install software (CMS, or any other app) on your own domain.

Don't even think about writing for any domain but your own.
    Really? I certainly agree with you (on this topic), but...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

18. Thanks From:

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have a question that is sort of relevant.

If I wanted to make a site that had information for a very broad subject, such a fitness, would Wordpress be capable of doing it?
    Here's a diagram of what I mean:

Using the fitness example, the main categories could be things like weight loss, weight training, supplements, etc. Underneath weight loss the subcategories could be things like diet plans and exercises.
    Is Wordpress capable of making a site structured like this? If not, is there some content management system that works well with SEO and is as easy to use as Wordpress?

would Wordpress be capable of doing it?
    Yes, it would, using Categories: http://en.support.wordpress.com/posts/categories/

Bill, I should clarify.. there have been a number of threads in the past few months asking about platforms. If you launch a blog with Wordpress.com, they don't even allow affiliate links (so that would be a pointless effort). I believe you can run Blogger under your own top-level domain, I only listed it here for those trying to launch a "site" like domain.blogspot.com.

Tumblr is like Squidoo... sure, you can create your own pages, etc.. but if a newbie wants to build an affiliate marketing business, the first step should be to create a site under their own domain (that's my view anyway).

As for my comment "writing for your own domain", if you're an established site/author, guest articles for others is a viable alternative. But if you're starting out (this is the Newbie forum), your first block of content belongs on your own domain. The added value of content should accrue to yourself, ie. your own web property. Building domain authority is an important part of SEO.

It's important for newbies to realize that the big players out there all have hosted solutions.. many of them custom-built.
    Last edited by teezone; July 11th, 2012 at 05:20 PM.

21. Thanks From:

You're not listening...

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread