OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Texas will collect Amazon tax starting on Sunday July 1st
    But after years of digging in its heels, Amazon (AMZN) is slowly giving in. Over the next 18 months, the company will more than double the number of states in which it collects sales tax. Texas will be the first of eight states, starting on Sunday July 1, followed by Pennsylvania and California in September.
    Source: Under siege, Amazon shifts on taxes - Fortune Tech

In the last six years I moved from California, to Texas, and now Pennsylvania.

Where to move now, West Virginia?

I'm assuming once they start collecting sales tax, the affiliates will get cut out?

Why would they need to cut affiliates out if they are collecting taxes? You have it ass backward!

This is what happened to me when they first started collecting sales tax in California. Amazon threatened that affiliates would no longer receive commission if California forced Amazon to collect, and then Amazon made good (at least that is my understanding).

Account Closed
    This account is closed and will not generate referrals. Access to this site [Amazon Associates] is for historical purposes only. If you are a California Associate and would like to re-enroll in the Amazon Associates program, please click here.

My Texas based affiliate account was not closed at that same time.

----

Here is an excerpt of an open letter from another California affiliate so affected:

An Open Letter To Jeff Bezos On Terminating The Amazon Affiliate Program In California
    by DANNY SULLIVAN on JUNE 30, 2011
    in INTERNET,RANTS
    Dear Jeff–

Thank you for your letter today, informing me that after seven years of being one of your affiliates — and having earned for you about $150,000 in that time — that you “deeply regret” unilaterally terminating my contract with Amazon to be an affiliate. I also especially appreciated the part where you reassured me that this action wouldn’t affect my ability to keep buying from your company. Nice touch.

I deeply appreciate that after so many years of supporting your company, and earning my 4.5% cut over those years (as I figured today, looking at my stats), that you’ve decided that I should be a pawn in your fight with my state. That type of loyalty really makes me want to support you in the future, should you restore your program. It also encourages me to want to continue shopping with you...

...But really, it only occurred to you today to give your California affiliates this notice? I’ve checked. You’ve sent nothing to us about this. Nothing yesterday. Nothing in the past month. Nothing at all, not until now. Since you clearly want to make us your pawns, maybe you could have told us sooner?...
    When California was deciding to collect the tax based on the affiliates constituting a nexus in the state, Amazon's response was to drop their affiliates so that the law would not apply to them. Then Amazon was involved in action to have the law repealed. When the law was repealed, Amazon offered to reinstate the affiliates.

The only difference I can see from a year ago is if Amazon decided to "voluntarily" collect the tax and keep the affiliates. But some of us don't trust Amazon after being dealt with in what we consider bad faith.
    Last edited by jscotthamilton; June 28th, 2012 at 12:00 AM.

Well I hope Amazon handles Texas differently as time has passed and both parties seem to have what they want. Hopefully your only loss is a slightly lower conversion.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jscotthamilton View Post
    In the last six years I moved from California, to Texas, and now Pennsylvania.

Where to move now, West Virginia?

I'm assuming once they start collecting sales tax, the affiliates will get cut out?
    California affiliates can request to re-enroll. It's right in your account when you login.

In Colorado they stated they are still reviewing things:

At this point, we're evaluating the decision from the United States District Court for the District of Colorado. We'd welcome the opportunity to re-open our Associates Program to Colorado residents. We'll contact you if we are able to re-open the program in the future.

We hope to see you again soon.
    I haven't heard of any State where Amazon terminated affiliates when they started collecting sales tax. Terminations seemed to come the minute a State passed their "nexus" tax.

But, based on YOUR track record, please do not move again...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Move south a little and come to Delaware, a state with no sales tax.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

8. Thanks From:

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread