Affiliate Manager
    How to Attract Quality Affiliates?
    I am new to ABW, and am in sore need of your advice..

Following the guidance of a firm several years ago, we created a landing page specifically to cater to an affiliate program (herbaldetox.net), recently made some improvements, and joined ShareASale.

After several weeks, we have had a decent amount of affiliates join our program (60+, so I am assuming that our offer is sufficient - $45 of a $99 sale), however, only 1 has brought any traffic at all!

After asking ShareASale for advice, we posted several times on Affiliate Aquarium, contacted 100+ affiliates there with no response, added a ton of marketing materials, created a data-feed, coupon, first sale incentive, newsletter, and posted a shareasale twitter ad. None of the above have drawn a single affiliate that has provided traffic (let alone sales).

Admittedly, we are new to the process, and perhaps I am being impatient, but having been informed that ~30% of the affiliates should be generating traffic & ~10-20% of those will generate sales, I can't help feeling that we are doing something wrong (at 2% traffic, 0% sales).

Needless to say, your expert advice would be very much appreciated.

Ari Vinograd (Merchant 41328)

I would highly suggest that you go out to conventions and try to meet networks..they can connect you with some many affiliates. Our company just came back from an A4U Expo - very usefull - I must say, I can only reccommend.

Hope it works out!
    [URL="http://affiliates.oranum.com/ref.php?w=100803"]$100 CPA / 50% Commission / 20% Referrals[/url]
    [B][URL="http://affiliates.oranum.com/ref.php?w=100803"]We double your first, $100 you make with us [/URL][/B]

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Are you emailing affiliate individually who joined, evaluating their site and offering suggestions on where you best fit. Sometimes it takes asking them if they need help then responding to those that do. Are your competitors offering coupons, are you? Do you allow affiliates to do paid search? Finally, is your site converting and making robust sales?

4. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks for the advice Chuck- I will begin reviewing each site and asking the affiliates what we can do to support them individually. Most of them, however, seem to be adding us to sites with thousands of coupons/offers.

We are offering coupons, our competitors are not, and we do permit paid search. In terms of our site converting, the landing page is new, but has converted decently from our ppc diagnostics. Is there anything else we can do?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Since you are on Shareasale login as an affiliate and insure you are completely competitive. Also look for your program with various keywords so its easy to find you, make sure you are in the best category.

When you contact affiliates your subject line is key as successful affiliates are buried with daily emails. Personalize but don't over do it and make sure you are offering something of use to the affiliate.

Submit your site to the Review forum on ABW and ask affiliate to tell you what they think.

Affiliate Manager
    Cool, posting now to the Review forum..

Affiliate Manager
    As an advertiser I feel your pain. Its a lot of work to get your program going and filled with click active and sale active publishers.

Beyond the technical comments about your program; Are your competitors offering a better deal/offer than you? Is your commission in line with your competitors? I would say that Kate has a good point.

To me the affiliate program has a lot to do with personal contacts. You must get to know publishers before they will trust you. So many publishers have been burned by advertisers that even a good offer maybe rejected for a lesser offer from a well known advertiser (friend).

So do go to various meetings and conventions and just be your fun self and make contacts that can lead to friendships.

~Ray

Have a quality affiliate programme! Keep testing and improving conversions, and provide loads of materials to help your affiliates sell, such as pre written articles, emails and videos.

Great points made about really evaluating the quality of affiliates applying. But someone mentioned what competitors are offering and this is a major point to keep in mind. If other companies in your industry are offering more incentives to your affiliates, then you're faced with some serious competition.

This along with the quality of your marketing tools and communication with affiliates are all important factors.

Hello!

I've dealt with the same headaches as well... There's alot of competition out there and getting the upper edge can be difficult... especially if you are relatively new...

Find out where the super-affiliates are in your industry and contact them...

See what your competition is offering.. Are you competitive with their offers? Join forums where the affiliates hang out and create a poll/survey to see what they are looking for...

It's a tough road but stay persistent

Jeff

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread