...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Panda Update Explained...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Excellent
    0 to $1m before I am 70, Ok maybe 71 !!! (April 2013)
    You Can Eat Our Noodles Without Gaining A Pound
    What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare.

LOL, that's fantastic!

Perfect explanation!

Just when you think you're getting there... You may have to bend over backwards... (AGAIN!)

abc-67

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Love it

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Best animated gif I have seen in a long time. Shared with the team here in PC ))

That's great!

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    OK, OK leave it to Matt (not only is today July 4th but it's also National Refer to Yourself in the Third Person Day - and yes, I just made that up)...

So leave it to Matt to take what was meant as a funny joke and insert a social commentary.

I've got a big problem (not saying it's anyone here, just in general) with people whining about Google, Panda, Penguin, or Polliwogs.

The GIF is a representative example of people suggesting that they put in all their hard work only to have it stripped away by the evil Google. The fact is Google owes nothing to no one. I'm 87% sure that is grammatically correct. I lost my 7th grade English teacher's cell phone number but hopefully it makes sense.

To base an analogy or two on this cartoon, what the GIF suggests is that I went into a store, which was open and advocating the putting of products in my cart through my own effort, then suddenly sending a cushy animal known for it's kung fu skills up to me, tipping my cart over, and preventing me from purchasing said items. In a sense, false advertising and unfair business practices.

The more accurate portrayal would be that they closed a store previously open, one that you are used to shopping at. You know exactly how much things cost, know exactly where to find the non-fat, lactose free, extra vanilla, sugar-free soymilk, and it's right down the street from you. They then close the store and don't allow entry and employee a kung fu wielding panda to guard the store. Perfectly legitimate.

I lost my train of thought trying analogize this and involve a panda but you get the point.

</rant>
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Suggesting that people's sites who were harmed by GOOG's Panda, didn't work really hard is also not fair. Many people worked tirelessly do build their sites and receive traffic to them and then...poof...just like the hilarious cartoon above suggests, the big bad GOOG destroyed them.

10. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by bibby View Post
    Suggesting that people's sites who were harmed by GOOG's Panda, didn't work really hard is also not fair. Many people worked tirelessly do build their sites and receive traffic to them and then...poof...just like the hilarious cartoon above suggests, the big bad GOOG destroyed them.
    Who said they didn't work hard?

Worked hard or didn't work at all...it's irrelevant. If you build your business upon another business with no Plan B, it's a recipe for failure. No different than businesses who built their entire business on one client...like Enron.

Google can, should, and will do whatever they want. They owe nothing to any affiliate, merchant or otherwise. Provided that what they do is legal of course and it has been.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt McWilliams View Post
    Who said they didn't work hard?

Worked hard or didn't work at all...it's irrelevant. If you build your business upon another business with no Plan B, it's a recipe for failure. No different than businesses who built their entire business on one client...like Enron.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McWilliams View Post
    Google can, should, and will do whatever they want. They owe nothing to any affiliate, merchant or otherwise. Provided that what they do is legal of course and it has been.
    That remains to be seen...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

To date Google has done things legally.

I would equate it in a sense to a company like Adobe discontinuing to make Fireworks. That would really suck for me. I only know how to use that for graphics. Never learned Photoshop.

Adobe can choose to discontinue any product they want, even if it really sucks for me and costs me money and time.
    Matt McWilliams

[QUOTE-bibby]Suggesting that people's sites who were harmed by GOOG's Panda, didn't work really hard......[/QUOTE]

I didn't get that "take" at all from what Matt had to say. Many people who were "kicked" by the Panda worked hard - very hard. Unfortunately, in many cases (not all, and "certainly" no one around here) - as much of that work was done for the search engines as it was for the TRUE benefit to readers/visitors.

The "take" I did get from the original cartoon was to, "not put all the goods in the same basket." Many (far too many) people earning a living at affiliate marketing have everything on one server (and a cheap one, at that) or publish in only one niche. If a server crashes or a niche loses popularity they begin "crying the blues." It is much safer to be proactive than reactive - distribute sites among two (or more) server companies and diversify efforts among two (or more) niches. Then if "disaster strikes" one will never be totally out of business.

As mentioned above, these "provider" companies can do whatever their business model dictates. Without thinking about that possibility, some people even "give" all their content (hard work) to other entities. Look at what happened to people who had built sites (marketing or other) on the old AOL platform or on GeoCities. (I can raise my hand for having had a site on GeoCities - but that was a looooong time ago and I leaned my lesson.)
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

LOL @ Geocities.

Guilty. Built my first site in 2000 on Geocities. Had the little traffic counter thing on the bottom. I'll never forget how excited I was when it hit 10,000. I thought I was big stuff.
    Matt McWilliams

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread