Affiliate Manager
    Coupon sites...Good for biz?
    Is there a "top ten" coupon sites lists floating around that explains why certain coupon sites are worth having around? I have to "weed" out affiliates because I don't see the value of 30+ coupon sites as affiliates. I understand I can use compete and similar ranking services. Maybe one of you has had phenomenal results or horrible results...thoughts

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Some coupon sites are highly ranked organically some use paid search. Look at some big brand names +coupon and you will see how ranks highest. If you chose to focus on 10 and bar the rest you will do OK if you get picked up. If you open the program to all then stop after 10 have joined you can build on those. If one doesn't activate then you can set aside and let in one more.

Affiliate Manager
    Chuck,
    The dilemma I have is having an onslaught of "coupon" sites signing up. I review the sites and for the most part think tacky. I guess what I'm really asking here is what's the best way to get the best guys for the job. Just as in any business there's got to be a few kick ass ones that most everyone can say, "yes they add value and drive sales".

Manually approve and be selective. Reach out to them and ask how they will market your site. If they don't reply then you saved yourself the trouble of trying to activate them later. I look at ranking, traffic, quality of site and placement.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    There are dime a dozen template based coupon/deal sites that are easy to spot. No value there, but there is certainly value in some of the large established coupon/deal sites.

Just thought I would share the following. Relevant to this thread:
    The Impact of Online Coupons and Promotion Codes

6. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by SendFudge View Post
    Chuck,
    The dilemma I have is having an onslaught of "coupon" sites signing up. I review the sites and for the most part think tacky.
    Is having your promotional links syndicated on many coupon sites not of value anymore?
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

Getting your deals listed on high traffic/high value sites is of great value.

9. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    Chuck I took your advise and turned my affiliates off auto approve. I think that tacky sites coupon sites take away from a good buyer experience.
    Gary thanks for the article, quite educational!

What network are you on?

Affiliate Manager
    Shareasale

OK, in CJ you can set filters to screen out apps with no network ranking but can't do that at SAS.

Affiliate Manager
    We're relatively new to ecommerce and when I was asking around about affiliate platforms CJ they said that we needed to be doing 1mil in sales to be working with them.

Did CJ specifically tell you that? I haven't had that from launching programs on my end but have worked directly with the network for 7 years. I see that happening since companies smaller than that generally fail with an affiliate program.

Affiliate Manager
    Ya, the account rep I spoke to wasn't very informative. That's what the deal breaker was from their end

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Manually approve and be selective. Reach out to them and ask how they will market your site. If they don't reply then you saved yourself the trouble of trying to activate them later. I look at ranking, traffic, quality of site and placement.
    +1

I have never understood auto accept or auto decline! (well maybe put a few of the more wild west countries on that list). Thats the job of the manager. If you just go with the established ones, then you will miss out on the up and comers. Passion is what I look for in any publishers, coupon or not.

I think coupon sites do provide a great deal of value, but their value goes down as your SEO efforts improve, because you end up paying for your own customers. I have never put a specific number in my mind for coupon sites. I mean what difference does that make? These coupon pubs may have their own niche. Why would you limit your own sales?

By the way CJ told you that you need to do 1 million in sales to be in CJ?? Seriously? That maybe a miscommunication.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PrintRay View Post
    I think coupon sites do provide a great deal of value, but their value goes down as your SEO efforts improve, because you end up paying for your own customers.
    True.

Quote Originally Posted by PrintRay View Post
    I mean what difference does that make? These coupon pubs may have their own niche. Why would you limit your own sales?
    Not sure if I'm reading that correctly. However, you do run the risk of alienating publishers who are NOT coupon sites. If you don't care about anything but running the risk of limiting your own sales - then by all means, let us non-coupon affiliates know...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Affiliate Manager
    Hmmm. I was strictly speaking about coupon sites.

The original post was about limiting "coupon sites" to your program. My comment was about why limit how many coupon sites you would allow in your program? I wont limit any category of publishers to my program. For me its not so much about quantity so much as quality. If I limit myself to 10 coupon sites and there are 11 good coupon sites I just reduced my own sales for no good reason.

Now since you brought up non-coupon sites, I'll say this. Its a tricky balance between content sites and coupon sites. I do understand where you are coming from. Many content publishers do dislike coupon sites (and for good reasons). Our organization has tried to get around this by simply eliminating coupons altogether (except for some vanity codes for a few partners). We just provide a discount offer for our products that are added to the shopping cart when the product is picked. We have two sites, and on one of them we further provided multiple program terms and we pay more commission to content sites.

However, this still doesn't put a salve on the content sites issues of last touch for a coupon site. We are working on attribution and other ways to resolve these real issues.

But I will stand by my original statement. I wont limit the participation of any type of affiliates simply because they are a coupon site. If somebody wont do business with me because of this, then so be it.

Sorry if this got long but it needed a more nuanced answer.

Affiliate Manager Kush@VMInnovations's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SendFudge View Post
    Chuck,
    The dilemma I have is having an onslaught of "coupon" sites signing up. I review the sites and for the most part think tacky. I guess what I'm really asking here is what's the best way to get the best guys for the job. Just as in any business there's got to be a few kick ass ones that most everyone can say, "yes they add value and drive sales".
    Simple, when evaluating a coupon site ask yourself:

• Do they have a following/subscribers that YOU don't have access to?
    • Can they expose your products/services to their readers?

If the answer is YES, they add value and you should consider working with said affiliate partner.

For the record, vast majority of coupon site applications (95%+) get declined in our program & it's doing fantastic!

Affiliate Manager
    We went to work on weeding our affiliates and I have been pretty happy to take off many affiliates because of lack of content/ affiliate agreement violations that just didn't get fixed. We're trying to limit our coupon affiliates to a "few" meaning if they really provide something of value I'd be more than happy to work with them.

It's a challenge to build a great affiliate program but I think I'm starting to see that it's possible but with some dedication.

22. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread