How long did it take for you to see a profit?
    How long did it take you to actually see a profit from your affiliate links? How many sites/blogs did you have at the time? How many hours per day were you putting into it?

I just started learning yesterday and don't expect to even start making a site for another week or two while I learn the basics.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by koallah View Post
    How long did it take you to actually see a profit from your affiliate links? How many sites/blogs did you have at the time? How many hours per day were you putting into it?

I just started learning yesterday and don't expect to even start making a site for another week or two while I learn the basics.
    First full-affiliate site took 9 months to build, 12-18/hours a day, straight html 1.0 and never made a profit. That was 1998-1999.

By 2002 had over 1300 cookie cutter white label affiliate sites on sub-domains. Experienced the first slap from the Google at the end of that year when they rolled out the Florida algo update. That time didn't know what white hat, gray hat, or black hat was. However, they were very profitable. Still have a half dozen or so of those white label sites and those sites are still very, very profitable. Doesn't hurt that they've aged.

Every year since, have culled the number of sites in order to spend more time on each and improve upon them. Now only build-out new sites on their own domain. Have about four dozen active sites across a huge array of niches - never put all your eggs in one basket.

If you work part-time, that is the income you will make. Don't just work hard, but work smart. If you want a full-time income you will have to put in full-time hours. Personally spend 8-12 hours/day...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

3. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Great comments Denis, would love to see similar from other's here.

I started my affiliate site as a project to help "learn" web publishing, while I took time away from the investment biz. It was a lifestyle choice, and I had 18 months to figure out what to do next.

Generated the first sale after 2 months, but it took 12 hrs/day for the next year to start seeing real revenue. After 2 years, it was earning ok income (had a contract that helped pay the bills), so I moved to WP & Joomla, invested in 3rd party development and higher-level hosting (development server, etc). 3 years after the site was launched, everything finally clicked into place. In hindsight, it would have been nice to skip all the experimental features, and numerous failed new sites, but that's part of the learning curve.

Everything was derailed with Panda in late 2011 - and the recovery has been slow but steady. It stemmed from development mistakes that created duplicate content, and CMS add-ins & modules. Holes have been nicely patched, and traffic is on the upswing.

I now have a second site, but it's a separate niche, which is a challenge. But it's there, ticking away, so I'm hopeful it can succeed.

Convergence said it best..
    If you work part-time, that is the income you will make.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks for the replies, they've been helpful! Google seems like an intimidating entity, at any moment it can slap the business model you've built up for years down and ruin it.

Out of curiosity, what do you think the learning curve for affiliate marketing is? Can averageman be successful at this or do you need a significant amount of developing and SEO knowledge to even begin making more than three figures a month?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Tough question, if you started a job in sales how long would it take for you to make good money. Some people a few months, some a few years, many never enough to quit their day job. I remember a story from an affiliate who tried for a year to make money on a dating site he developed that had 25k members. Wasn't going any where fast then he talked to a friend who asked why he was trying to reinvent the wheel, why not use affiliate links. He completely changed what he was doing, focused on doing a better job than the merchant and nailed it. That was the first of many business models he used but he went large.

Google seems like an intimidating entity, at any moment it can slap the business model you've built up for years down and ruin it.
    Yep. Don't build for the Google. Build for your visitors. Market like the Google doesn't exist. Treat any "free" traffic from the Google as gravy.

Out of curiosity, what do you think the learning curve for affiliate marketing is?
    You need to have a propensity for business and a drive to succeed. Don't believe you ever stop learning, or shouldn't.

Can averageman be successful at this or do you need a significant amount of developing and SEO knowledge to even begin making more than three figures a month?
    You learn as you go. Called trial and error. What may work for others may not work for you and vice-versa. You create your own recipe for success. It's not overnight. Many affiliates bail in a short period of time because they didn't achieve the hype they read all over the internet: "Get rich overnight", "Build it and they will come" sort of nonsense.

Be realistic. Set goals that you can achieve. Each goal being a new milestone...

10. Thanks From:

Hi Koallah,

Unlike the other guys I am part time having retired as an accountant a few years back I turned my hand to AM.

I started with CB put in loads of hours and only came out of it with $95 after about 18 months.

I then took on a "bricks and mortar" product put in 2-3 hours most days and after about 15 months have earned just under $1,500. The important thing about this ventutre is that I have done a lot of the building work and now have a steady flow of visitors and an increasing number of click throughs to the merchant site. I am confident this will soon start to see improved returns.

I am now looking to take on my next product and much wiser and better informed expect an easier passage than for the first one.

So now you have both ends of the spectrum and the choice is yours. Expect to work hard, put in the hours and commit to learning new skills each and every day. Remember the saying "As you shall sow so you shall reap"

Best wishes for your future.
    0 to $1m before I am 70, Ok maybe 71 !!! (April 2013)
    You Can Eat Our Noodles Without Gaining A Pound
    What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare.

12. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post

had over 1300 cookie cutter white label affiliate sites..
    What does that mean it is new to me.(The cookie cutter bit)

regards
    Last edited by daiarian; July 11th, 2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: making the question more specific
    0 to $1m before I am 70, Ok maybe 71 !!! (April 2013)
    You Can Eat Our Noodles Without Gaining A Pound
    What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare.

Quote Originally Posted by daiarian View Post
    What does that mean it is new to me.(The cookie cutter bit)
    Means they were practically identical sites, example:

keyword1.example.com
    keyword2.example.com
    keyword3.example.com

and so forth.

Basically sites were framed. Each sub-domain is considered it's own domain/website. I won't go into exact details because that would only encourage others to give it a go.

Back in the good ol' days keywords in domain names were heavily weighted. Was VERY easy to get ranked for any specific keyword. Granted the core domain was very specific to the niche and related to the keyword. Still have two of the four domains used to do this and a handful of sites on one of them - however, the content is actually unique now and they still produce.

As I mentioned, had no idea about white/gray/black hat or even what a doorway page was until the Florida update crushed them, lol.

Doing so today (doorway pages with identical content in a frame) would probably get you a lifetime ban on a search engine...

15. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    If I can't spend much time per day on affiliate marketing, do you think that I should keep going on with this? I only can pay about 2 hours per day and write about 2 articles per week.

Quote Originally Posted by tamnl View Post
    If I can't spend much time per day on affiliate marketing, do you think that I should keep going on with this? I only can pay about 2 hours per day and write about 2 articles per week.
    If you enjoy this as a hobby then do it.
    There is no guarantee that you will make a lot of money or any money.
    On the other hand, what starts out as a hobby can possibly become lucrative.
    There are many variables in this business.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

18. Thanks From:

what do you think the learning curve for affiliate marketing is? Can averageman be successful at this or do you need a significant amount of developing and SEO knowledge to even begin making more than three figures a month?
    I don't know of anyone who started and prior to completing the learning curve made three figures or more than that a month. Where did you get ballpark quote? Don't quit your day job yet or your source of support whatever that might be.

Affiliate marketing is constantly changing: what once worked now doesn't.
    There will always be new things to learn.
    If you start with unrealistic expectations you will soon be disappointed.
    Whatever you do try to keep costs to a minimum in the beginning.
    If you spend a lot up front but the returns are weak you will be upset.

If you work with graphics, see your purchases of programs such as [but not limited to] Photoshop and Illustrator as investments or you can go with free open source programs such as the Gimp. Look for free programs you can download from CNET.

Hosting is an investment: how much are you willing to pay? Do you know the differences?

SEO is important but content really paves the way.
    What programming skills do you have if any?
    If you don't have programming skills will you try to learn any?
    Whether you have the skills, or you intend to learn the skills, or you
    want to get by without programming skills, you should at least have knowledge of html [html5 is the next big thing] and CSS so that you can edit. Do you know how to make Responsive sites (for mobile)?
    Any way you slice things, it will take time.
    Affiliate marketing has lots of competition and many variables go into success.
    Last edited by Rhia7; July 23rd, 2012 at 02:22 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Convergence did say it best.

I would like to add that it is important not to compare yourself with others. Compare yourself to yourself (to a degree). All niches behave differently and some are more competitive than others.

There is a lot to learn and a lot to do. You do have to push yourself regardless of the niche. But once you get going, it's important that you keep track of your own stats.

Done right, an Internet business takes time to build. It isn't an overnight proposition. If you compare yourself to people who say they did it overnight, you could set yourself up for failure, because that type of scenario is rare.

But put more into it, will get more out of it is a universal truth that applies to every site.

Affiliate Manager
    For the affiliate providers, do they have some policies about the time affiliate must sell at least 1 product? For example If i joined an affiliate programs for 3 months, but I haven't sold any product. Will they remove my account?

cj gives you six months of zero sales and then deactivates you..... if memory serves.
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    What's all this crazy talk about profit?

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread