Domains for sale
    Is it okay to post a list of domains for sale in this section? I have many good keyword domains that I'm looking to unload right now at wholesale prices. Wanted to ask first

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Hi Mike,

Understand that you're primarily into domains and your user name obviously reflects that. Not uncommon for affiliates to be involved in domaining at some level - some even do this as another branch of their online business(es).

That being said. Once ONE person starts posting their inventory, the search engines pick it up and the next thing you know virtually every domainer starts registering and wanting to post what they have for sale. Trying hard here not to even use specific words in this post for that very reason.

This is an affiliate marketing forum. Personally, if I want to peruse a list of available names for sale, I'll go to an appropriate forum or, Fabulous, SEDO, Latoyas, Snap Names, etc.

And from a buyer's perspective - I would personally prefer to buy domains that aren't indexed on forums.

Nothing against you - just my 2 cents...
    Last edited by Convergence; July 14th, 2012 at 03:15 PM.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Domains View Post
    Is it okay to post a list of domains for sale in this section? I have many good keyword domains that I'm looking to unload right now at wholesale prices. Wanted to ask first
    People have over the years, you can check some earlier threads in this forum. I don't see a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Hi Mike,

Understand that you're primarily into domains and your user name obviously reflects that. Not uncommon for affiliates to be involved in domaining at some level - some even do this as another branch of their online business(es).

That being said. Once ONE person starts posting their inventory, the search engines pick it up and the next thing you know virtually every domainer starts registering and wanting to post what they have for sale. Trying hard here not to even use specific words in this post for that very reason.

This is an affiliate marketing forum. Personally, if I want to peruse a list of available names for sale, I'll go to an appropriate forum or, Fabulous, SEDO, Latoyas, Snap Names, etc.

And from a buyer's perspective - I would personally prefer to buy domains that aren't indexed on forums.

Nothing against you - just my 2 cents...
    You can set it up here, the way domain forums do it. Give the OP the ability to edit out the domains later on, once they're sold or whenever they want too. Those other places you mentioned Sedo, Snap, I'll throw in Namejet, those sales are publicly available at places like Namebio. Most domains that are put up for sale somewhere, are indexed somewhere as well. Thru the tools, domain blogs, expiring blogs, etc. So it's not really a secret.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    You can set it up here, the way domain forums do it. Give the OP the ability to edit out the domains later on, once they're sold or whenever they want too.
    yes this is the way its generally done (the way i would do it)

that said, ...

While I understand this concern I think at this stage you'd be overblowing it if it would prevent you from acquiring a good domain at a good price that would otherwise benefit you. The way the Google algorithm has advanced, at this time even if you were to type in keywordkeyword.com it returns results for keyword keyword. you need to actually use the quote filter and search "keywordkeyword.com" to return results about the domain. If you're worried about an issue of purely whether a domain is simply mentioned on a forum and whether search engines pick up on this and somehow count it against the domain as 'spammy' ... then sites like Amazon.com which probably get mentions across thousands of forums each day out to be in trouble. Of course they have a much bigger footprint, but my point is I doubt there is much impact just from mentions, so long as the domains aren't actually linked to. Just my 2 cents, but if any SEO experts would like to chime in I'm always happy to learn something new.

I also understand and respect that no one here wants this board to turn into a haven for spammy domain sellers, and I'll be the first to admit, among domainers there are a fair share of those.

However, why not consider creating a dedicated sub-forum specifically for buy/sell/trade of domains and websites? Then it would at least be confined, and you could still rely on a rule, for example, must have 30 posts before posting a domain for sale in that sub-forum, which would also keep spam down, and at least allow members in good standing to list domains/websites for sale.

Lastly, let me steer the conversation in another direction ...

... thanks for sharing, I would love for others to share as well: what specific sites do you visit or where do you go to look for domains to buy for your affiliate sites?

I would tell you that just as this is an affiliate marketing forum for and by affiliates, its likewise my impression that the domain forums I frequent are mostly full of domainers. I could be wrong, but that is why I thought about reaching out here to present some domains for sale, basically bring the market to the potential end-user, as I don't see many of them surfacing at domain forums. But that said, I don't know for certain and would love to hear from any of you affiliates where specifically you like to go to find good aftermarket domains (if at all)

You can set it up here, the way domain forums do it.
    yes this is the way its generally done (the way i would do it)
    This isn't a domain forum.

While I understand this concern I think at this stage you'd be overblowing it if it would prevent you from acquiring a good domain at a good price that would otherwise benefit you.
    I have been domaining for over a decade, have owned a domain name forum, an auction site, made a nice living with domain parking (until the Google killed that in June 2008), have a domain parking service that has been on hold since then that can be monitized by my PPC ad network. Not over-blowing anything. I know where and how to buy domains. Simply a difference of opinion.

That being said - I know the admin (Chuck) is looking for a positive solution...

ABW Ambassador
    This isn't a domain forum.

I have been domaining for over a decade, have owned a domain name forum, an auction site, made a nice living with domain parking (until the Google killed that in June 2008), have a domain parking service that has been on hold since then that can be monitized by my PPC ad network. Not over-blowing anything. I know where and how to buy domains. Simply a difference of opinion.

That being said - I know the admin (Chuck) is looking for a positive solution...
    This isn't an Seo forum either but we have a section for it. And like I said, people have sold domains here since the beginning, you don't have to.

This isn't an Seo forum either but we have a section for it.
    Yes, and the SEO riff-raff/"gurus' are prevalent, no wait - rampant.

And like I said, people have sold domains here since the beginning, you don't have to.
    Right, and my thinking is to keep it non-indexed, not public, to prevent the crappy domaining crowd from infesting ABW.

No, I don't have to do anything - I know that better than anyone...

Obviously you've got a heck of a lot of experience with domains, so I'm not going to split hairs with you. But it does bring me back around to my last point, which is that although you know exactly where and how to buy domains, what about other affiliates on this forum?

I would still love to hear from others what specific sites that people (non-domainers) go to buy aftermarket domains, - or - to what extent this is even considered as an option, versus patching on extra keywords to the keywords you really desire, so as to find an available domain for reg. fee. (e.g. - KeywordKeywordSoGood.com or LuckyLottos-DesiredKeywords.com)

ABW Ambassador
    I wouldn't get too enamored with that post you quoted, it's not like you or I have heard of any of those projects. Plus, none of that has anything to do with the topic at hand. And I know parking is not what is used to be but plenty of people still make a living with doing just that.

"However, why not consider creating a dedicated sub-forum specifically for buy/sell/trade of domains and websites? Then it would at least be confined, and you could still rely on a rule, for example, must have 30 posts before posting a domain for sale in that sub-forum, which would also keep spam down, and at least allow members in good standing to list domains/websites for sale. "

I actually suggested that awhile back. Have a sub-forum for buying and selling, details can be worked on.

I wouldn't get too enamored with that post you quoted, it's not like you or I have heard of any of those projects.
    Whatever...

ABW Ambassador
    I know all the current domain forums/auction sites. Anybody can have an auction site or forum, doesn't mean it ever had people actually going or using them. Maybe you did, name them.

My point was I know something about the domain industry based on a decade of experience. Were my sites a NamePro, SEDO, Afternic, Fabulous? No. If they were I wouldn't have shut them down.

My "Whatever" comment point was "so what" if you or anyone else ever heard of my "projects". So what - I'm not heart-broken over it...

ABW Ambassador
    My point was I know something about the domain industry based on a decade of experience. Were my sites a NamePro, SEDO, Afternic, Fabulous? No. If they were I wouldn't have shut them down.

My "Whatever" comment point was "so what" if you or anyone else ever heard of my "projects". So what - I'm not heart-broken over it...
    Right, didn't understand why you posted that in the first place in reply to this:

"While I understand this concern I think at this stage you'd be overblowing it if it would prevent you from acquiring a good domain at a good price that would otherwise benefit you."

People buy and sell domains on forums all day long on domain forums. Not a big deal. Your history has nothing to do with that. I sold some recently, after the sale, go back and edit out the domains, the price etc. And again, I even sold some here many, many years ago. And so did many other people. Nobody has done it recently but since they have been sold here in the past and I see no rule changing that, I don't see the problem.

It can be made better with some of the suggestions above, sub forum, blocked from search engines, maybe a min post count etc.

I dont see anything wrong with listing some affiliate-targeted domains here. As Trust says - it's been done here for a long time.

heh - I've spread quite a few posts among DNF (actually a paid member there), DS and NP over the last decade. I've accumulated some nice niche-targeted affiliate domains that way. I've also got a couple parked at Sedo and NameDrive. Mght be nice to provide opportunity for a few affiliate marketers to see what may be available - at a forum where they feel comfortable.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Right, didn't understand why you posted that in the first place in reply to this:

"While I understand this concern I think at this stage you'd be overblowing it if it would prevent you from acquiring a good domain at a good price that would otherwise benefit you."
    To further clarify: Someone posting a domain here for sale wont prevent me from acquiring a good domain at a good price that would otherwise benefit me.

Already a thread started in IC to figure out how to do this without turning this into a spam magnet. Not opposed to anyone posting their domains for sale - I just personally don't want it indexed by the search engines.

Clear as mud?

How about if I were to put up a page on one of my sites that lists the domains and link to it from here. I will even make the page non-indexale for you Convergence

... but I don't know if I'm able to post links yet. I got reprimanded once for that a while ago

How about if I were to put up a page on one of my sites that lists the domains and link to it from here.
    Chuck, you want to chime in?

I will even make the page non-indexale for you Convergence
    Aw shucks - thanks. I'm more concerned about THIS forum becoming a drive by domain dump...

Chuck, you want to chime in?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    We are discussing on the Inner Circle and working on getting this sub forum set to non-index, no-follow.

Domains go ahead and list your domains in this thread as text as I want to see the effects. Will get the sub forum setup ASAP and mods can handle any fall-out in the mean time.

okay, stand back everyone ...

first I ought to make sure, will I be granted the ability to edit this post out when sale has ended?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Go ahead and start a new thread listing the domains. As they sell you can post sold and one of the mods or myself can edit the first post as it locks in 30 min.

done. if you are setting up a new sub-forum I would ask you please move the new thread over there once its set up. thanks

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread