Can't track source of traffic
    Not sure this is the right forum, but I'll give it a shot..

I launched a new php-based section of my site a couple of months ago, and it's doing quite well, traffic-wise.

The problem is I'm not able to track referrals - I know Google hides keywords if someone searches via https, but it's more than that. Approx 90% of the traffic appears "direct", which I know is not the case, as these are not short URLs. And in most cases the referral is the same as the URL itself.

Referring URL: www.mysite.com/new/longurl.html
    Visiting Page: www.mysite.com/new/longurl.html

My guess is that a couple of popular pages have been iframed (Facebook, maybe?) - I have javascript that will "pop" the site out, which might make the referral seem direct. I do see a trickle of traffic from internal links, as well as Google, but the majority of visitors can't be traced. This problem isn't quite the same as G's new https policy, as that visit still shows google as the referring domain.

I would love to figure out where the surge in traffic is coming from.. but have also started to wonder if there is something missing in the php code.

Any insight appreciated!

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Couple of thoughts in question form:

Did your surge start on the 11th of July?

Do you have a lot of images indexed?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Close, it was July 7th... which ties in with the date of one particular (and very timely) story. That one page has been largely responsible for the surge. Overall, the site has been trending up the past couple of weeks.

But yes, I do have plenty of images indexed... did I miss something..??

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    Close, it was July 7th... which ties in with the date of one particular (and very timely) story. That one page has been largely responsible for the surge. Overall, the site has been trending up the past couple of weeks.

But yes, I do have plenty of images indexed... did I miss something..??
    Saw an upward trend starting about the 9th then a huge spike on the 11th - still happening. There are rumblings about a Panda 3.9 update/refresh. But the Google says no AND that It regularly likes to experiment. However, I personally think the traffic is not very "qualified" as CTR to merchants are down.

I, too, use a framebuster script someone offered on this forum and have found that it triggers a "direct" referral. Didn't realize this until yesterday evening when chatting with a few other affiliates and then reviewing stats...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

5. Thanks From:

I've been searching coding forums, with no luck.. but does anyone know if it's even possible to track referrals from iframes..?

My best guess is that I have (now two!) pages that have been iframed in Facebook. Without knowing the user, I can't see how many likes, etc.. or even the context in which they have been shared.

I think the framebuster script is doing its job, but I'm not sure if this will have any impact on SEO (would be nice). This is a new section I put into place, without affiliate links, that was designed for "popularity", rather than sales. In the past week, those two pages have become very popular - I know why (the topic), just not where and how..

My website have images that are not indexed in google. I have other posters and banners that are not on website . I want them to get indexed and rank on top on google. How can i do that So that I can track traffic on images. Really need serious help.
    Regards

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread