Banned
    Benefits of Offshore?
    Hey guys I'm new here and this is a pretty cool forum.

I've been doing bulk email marketing and display marketing for about a year. I started getting some threat letters from multiple sources (Ghetty images was one) for my marketing practices...etc. I guess when you're actually out there doing something you are exposing yourself to all kinds of crap! Go figure...

I have a good friend who runs a company setting up affiliates/publishers and others with offshore structures. He has been bugging me about setting up offshore for over a year now (I run a couple other online businesses). It wasn't until I started getting these threat letters that I actually considered it and bit the bullet.

I went ahead and did a Belize IBC and a bank account with a good bank there and also a Nevis corp too. It seems pretty cool and with Nevis, to even be considered to have a lawsuit against you the person suing has to put up a $25k bond and retain a lawyer there too. From what I hear, the lawyers there don't even really like taking civil suits either...because they are hard to prosecute there. With Belize, I am told they are know as one of the most solid for privacy and virtually no attorney will touch a civil case either.

To me...now that I've seen the light on this, I'm kind of excited because I don't feel as exposed and it seems the only way to go?

Does anyone have any tips/advice and what are any pros/cons any of you have experience with offshore? One of the only ones I can see is the delay in banking...but that is a small price to be virtually "Bulletproof". IDK

Tax Paying Member
    Very detailed first post.

Sounds like a plan. Go for it.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Banned
    Cool...thx!

I started getting some threat letters from multiple sources (Ghetty images was one) for my marketing practices...etc. I guess when you're actually out there doing something you are exposing yourself to all kinds of crap!
    Have you paid for the photos on your site? There are licensing fees for use of photos on a website, and unless you have proof of payment, Getty has every right to come after you. Celebrity & news photos aren't cheap, the bigger sites pay thousands/month for editorial photos...

From what I understand, an offshore business won't stop your site from being shutdown for copyright violation.. if a DMCA violation is filed with your host, they may close your account & shut down the domain. If you're receiving various threat letters, you should change those marketing practices, as you are doing probably something wrong (displaying copyrighted content, like news feeds, or not paying for photos, etc)

If you want to protect your web property (ie. affiliate site), I suggest you start with removing all the unlicensed photos. You may well be protected from lawsuits after that, but you won't keep your site for long.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    This is a striking example of what is wrong with ethics in business today and society in general:

1. Smart people are too lazy or devious to put in the needed effort to envision a unique business plan and to develop it into a successful enterprise - they would rather appropriate the efforts of others, taking the easy, quick route to what they deem to be "success", and

2. When called out on their misdeeds they are faced with a choice: 1) Cut and run and start a new venture - the basis modus operandi of the traditional con man, who re-starts his ponzi in a new city with new "investors", or 2) Double down and throw more effort into protecting the original plan. That generally requires more thought and more resources, which could have been directed in a very different way.

What we see here is a plan to protect an inherently illegal scheme by insulating it from the first line of perceived threat, not unlike the drug dealer flushing the stash as the cops are knocking at the door. But the FBI and the DMCA cops will be there to test for residue and offer deals to the little guy on the street to put the big picture together, and get to the guy at the top.

Bribe the cops in Metropolis? There's still Superman to deal with. Incorporate in South America or the Caribbean? Maybe the Man of Steel won't reach you there, but all those international organizations might. And hasn't the big thrust of IRS investigations the last several years been to go page by page through every document related to any offshore business that could, just possibly, maybe, involve the aura of tax evasion? Why else would Joe Smith from Bayonne incorporate in Belize? It's those profits he's hiding, Elliot, what else could it be? An illegal photo on his website? Really? We don't think so.

Just what would all this cost, including hiring the right people in Nevis or Belize, and those lawyers and accountants back here in the US? How much more will this cost in dollars and in integrity?

Pay for the damn pictures. And use legitimate marketing techniques that are good enough for the other 99% of the industry.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

6. Thanks From:

Banned
    Ummmm....really...lol! Wow, I'm not even going to get into a back an forth on this one as it's all speculation, all of it.

Especially the pictures...one of my web guys used and image and yes, we replaced it. We live in a land with a legal system that allows virtually anyone to attempt to wreck the lives of others for any reason...no personal responsibility. That is what I'm protecting my livelyhood from.

Now, could I get some more feedback from others who have actually had experience with an offshore structure...not people who are just looking to speculate and start a fight?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    This is a striking example of what is wrong with ethics in business today and society in general:

1. Smart people are too lazy or devious to put in the needed effort to envision a unique business plan and to develop it into a successful enterprise - they would rather appropriate the efforts of others, taking the easy, quick route to what they deem to be "success", and

2. When called out on their misdeeds they are faced with a choice: 1) Cut and run and start a new venture - the basis modus operandi of the traditional con man, who re-starts his ponzi in a new city with new "investors", or 2) Double down and throw more effort into protecting the original plan. That generally requires more thought and more resources, which could have been directed in a very different way.

What we see here is a plan to protect an inherently illegal scheme by insulating it from the first line of perceived threat, not unlike the drug dealer flushing the stash as the cops are knocking at the door. But the FBI and the DMCA cops will be there to test for residue and offer deals to the little guy on the street to put the big picture together, and get to the guy at the top.

Bribe the cops in Metropolis? There's still Superman to deal with. Incorporate in South America or the Caribbean? Maybe the Man of Steel won't reach you there, but all those international organizations might. And hasn't the big thrust of IRS investigations the last several years been to go page by page through every document related to any offshore business that could, just possibly, maybe, involve the aura of tax evasion? Why else would Joe Smith from Bayonne incorporate in Belize? It's those profits he's hiding, Elliot, what else could it be? An illegal photo on his website? Really? We don't think so.

Just what would all this cost, including hiring the right people in Nevis or Belize, and those lawyers and accountants back here in the US? How much more will this cost in dollars and in integrity?

Pay for the damn pictures. And use legitimate marketing techniques that are good enough for the other 99% of the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmas View Post
    We live in a land with a legal system that allows virtually anyone to attempt to wreck the lives of others for any reason
    No. Unlike most of the population of the world, we live in a land with a civil justice system where people who have been damaged by the acts of others have a right to redress and can be made whole.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Banned
    ok cool... thank you for your input. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    No. Unlike most of the population of the world, we live in a land with a civil justice system where people who have been damaged by the acts of others have a right to redress and can be made whole.

I've been doing bulk email marketing and display marketing for about a year. I started getting some threat letters from multiple sources...

Does anyone have any tips/advice and what are any pros/cons any of you have experience with offshore? One of the only ones I can see is the delay in banking...but that is a small price to be virtually "Bulletproof".
    With all the F-king daily email we get everyday, I just wonder if ...

Banned
    ok... I get it there's a bunch of wise asses here and people looking to pick a fight when all I was doing was asking for legitimate experiences others have had with offshore. I have better uses of my time...see ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal View Post
    With all the F-king daily email we get everyday, I just wonder if ...

ok... I get it there's a bunch of wise asses here and people looking to pick a fight when all I was doing was asking for legitimate experiences others have had with offshore. I have better uses of my time...see ya.
    No wise asses, but professionals and businesspeople who are very serious about what they do. At a time when we have state taxing agencies combing the records of affiliates just because they are located in a state where the taxing agency is trying to stick it to Amazon, we do not need anything to ring a bell in the ear of other agencies, especially the IRS which is always looking closely at every offshore program that may or may not involve reducing tax liability. FTC regulations aimed at celebrity endorsements has added a new layer of work and worry upon affiliates. Who knows which agency will strike next at the heart of affiliate marketing? In fact, I just wrote an article entitled "Avoiding Government Intrusion in Affiliate Marketing" which will be in the August issue of Feedfront Magazine.

Best not to the rock the boat, especially for no compelling reason.

13. Thanks From:

JSMAS was banned because he's listed in Stop Forum Spam - but - I left this thread here by request from ABW members.

http://imog.us/tools/check_spammers/...8&submit=check

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

It's a good discussion to keep..

AffiliateHound, I thought you were spot on.

16. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread