Do Meta Tags/Description Count?
    I've heard varied answers on this but do meta tags/descriptions affect search engine rankings?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Yes. Not all. Value/Impact varies.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Not the top priority but should be done. Anchor text, heading, etc. also worth a bit of time.

Title plays important role in terms of rankings as well as CTR in organic search result. Meta description and meta keywords has no value or limited importance in Google but other search engines may consider them while improving the rankings.

I recommend writing meta tags descriptive that can improve CTR of your organic search result.

Your title tags are extremely important and actually can influence your search engine rank. So i think meta tags actually have a very real impact on search engine marketing.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Your title tags are extremely important and actually can influence your search engine rank. So i think meta tags actually have a very real impact on search engine marketing.
    Meta tags were important 10 years ago but Google looks at many more things. They should be setup with usable content as one of 100 things you do to get a site ranked. If you are one of few sites in a niche then Meta tags may give you an edge. I do see so many Meta tags listed in the SERPs that are truly lame. As well as the Welcome title tag!

7. Thanks From:

I witnessed an argument in a forum the other day between two SEOs. They were discussing meta tags. One of them said he had a special trick for ensuring that he got high ranks in the search engines and it involved the use of meta tags. The other guy argued that meta tags don’t matter. It was an interesting discussion.

The title tag is the title of that page. Not the website, not your title, not your company title or name; it is the title of that specific web page. Make sure it’s unique. Don’t give every page in your website the same title. That would be pointless. Use a keyword-focused title that tells the search engine what that page is about in 5-10 words. The benefit of your title tag is it tells the search engines in just a few words what your web page is about. Your content will do that more than anything else and if you have great content then your title tag isn’t going to provide much more benefit.

9. Thanks From:

Seems like whenever I hear people talk about SEO they use the word ranking and that's where it ends. The title tag and meta description are a perfect example of where I'm going with this. If you get ranked number one for a term but nobody clicks your listing - what's the difference? You still FAILED in your SEO attempts.

Your title tag and meta are usually displayed on the SERPs as what makes your page relevant to the searchers needs. Make sure it's not some keyword stuffed piece of crap. Use it to include a call to action and provide value that other listings don't have.

Use GWT to analyze what keywords each page is coming up for. If it's showing up for keywords that aren't in the title tag and description then maybe it's time to create a new page for the related search or modify the title & meta to be more relevant. Remember Google will bold the search terms in your title, meta, & url.

I realize the original question was about "ranking", but SEO is about getting traffic to your site through the SERPs, not just ranking.

11. Thanks From:

12. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread