Affiliate Manager
    Network Access for Self-Hosted Affiliate Programs?
    Hey Guys!

Forgive me if this is posted somewhere (I tried searching for it in the forums) but I wanted to get more information (as a merchant) in joining Affiliate Networks to attract affiliates.

Before you jump, here is some supplemental information: I have a full affiliate outreach plan that involves a lot of 1-on-1 interactions and more "organic" ideas around finding good affiliates in our industry. The reason I am looking into some network access (CJ, ShareASale, etc.) is because I know a lot of affiliates use networks (we have a self hosted solution) and I want to widen the promotion and access to the affiliate program.

Has anyone done anything like this? Looked for networks for their funnel vs. Managing the aspect of the affiliate program?

Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Are you talking about using a network to recruit then moving affiliates to an in-house program?

Is this the thread you were looking for: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/affil...ml#post1123067

Affiliate Manager
    Ahh, thanks Chuck for reminding I posted that

We have a self-hosted solution setup but I guess more of the question is:

Is there any downfall or problems with having a self-hosted, self managed solution with access to a network to recruit? I know most people choose a network as a base to take care of a lot of the administrative work and to house their program-- but is it possible (or would you want to do this) to have both (hope that is not a dumb question).

I see the benefits of each (one from a flexibility standpoint of hosting your own program and another from having the ability to get your program out to the markets where the right folks, looking for affiliate programs, have their eyes on them).

Is there any downfall or problems with having a self-hosted, self managed solution with access to a network to recruit? I know most people choose a network as a base to take care of a lot of the administrative work and to house their program-- but is it possible (or would you want to do this) to have both (hope that is not a dumb question).
    They are separate as you can not have an in-house tracking running through the network as it would violate their terms. You can however run tracking for both on your merchant site to insure all sales are tracking.

Affiliate Manager
    ahh gotcha. So what you are saying is I'd have to sign up with the network, and manage affiliates that come in from the network channel, all under the network's system. And then still have my own free standing affiliate program (but they would both have to be kept separate).

Yes.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Chuck is right... you'll have some affiliates who are okay with working with you directly, and may expect a higher payout due to the lack of network fees. You'll have some who will prefer the network relationship out of trust, familiarity and security.

If you are thinking of recruiting from the network to your internal program, make sure you read your agreements as many of the networks have language prohibiting this with affiliates you have come into contact with through them.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread