SEO & our own mistakes
    I'm a little obsessed with SEO right now - my site took a major tumble in traffic in January, and it's been a slow climb back.

It turns out the much of my troubles were coding-related, but I'm also tech savvy enough to redesign the sites every 12-18 months. The latest redesign looked (!) so good, I used a duplicate version of the template across another couple of sites.

One of those sites was a new niche that I have never been able to get off the ground. It's the only site where I outsource content (ex-wife of a pal, she knows the niche better than me)... and it's a neat little site with some good info.

It was only when I analyzed the site in Bing webmaster tools today did I find the problem - two title tags on each page! One was the dynamic title, the other was stray code copied from a static page (during the redesign phase).

Surprisingly Google WMT said "We didn't detect any issues with the title tags on your site" (and neither did SEOMoz) .. I'm not blaming G for my own mistake, but .. once again... take a good look at your own site before throwing in the towel. And if you haven't signed up with Bing WMT, do it now.. they now offer some terrific tools.

Honestly, I feel like I could give a seminar on website mistakes..

Thanks for the interesting post, Teezone.
    I have a feeling that the 2 titles in the title tag won't be much of a problem
    in the future because of an article I read in Forbes today:

The Death Of SEO: The Rise of Social, PR, And Real Content - Forbes

“We hardly do any of the old SEO stuff. It still brings results, but not like it used to. Google is pulling the rug out to provide better search for their audience. They are routing out the counterfeiters. Now it must be real, valuable, content, and lot’s of community value and interaction.”
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

It goes without saying I'm talking about sites with real & unique content..

In this case, the first title was dynamic (and correct), the second was static. According to Bing WMT, two titles is a "high" priority issue, which I'm inclined to believe.

Social interaction can add SEO value, but I think it's misleading website owners. A few months ago I was approached by a restaurant owner who wanted advice, and information on "how to launch a social campaign" (she didn't really know what that meant!). The website is 100% flash, which makes it very pretty, but absolutely useless. I recommended the site be relaunched using a more SEO-friendly platform.

Last I heard, she is still asking people about "launching a social campaign" (?!)

I think some basics of SEO are still important, and shouldn't be ignored.. but if everyone focuses on social, maybe there are some optimization opportunities to be had

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    I think some basics of SEO are still important, and shouldn't be ignored.. but if everyone focuses on social, maybe there are some optimization opportunities to be had
    Absolutely agree
    I think a shift of importance is coming.
    People will still use search engines, but relevant results can be found
    using Twitter. There will be a shift in the paradigm in terms of the top
    ways that people find sites.
    Content will continue to be very important and some SEO will always be
    valuable but the buzz will be in the social networking which can help a site found on the 2nd page of Google or other search engine. The day will come when social could bypass or eclipse search engines.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I think the important rule will be make websites for people
    and not [as much] for search engines
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I noticed a big difference after i lost my ranking when I started building out more content pages on my blog a long with building brand name keywords and naked links back to my site.

I noticed a big difference after i lost my ranking when I started building out more content pages on my blog a long with building brand name keywords and naked links back to my site.
    Sorry, I don't understand the point you're trying to make here?

This thread isn't about keywords or links, it's about errors in site structure.

8. Thanks From:

Using social media is a right way to help SEO for this time. but basics SEO are still needed, and it still works I think

Social media has nothing to do with this thread - please read before you post.

11. Thanks From:

Great post.

Maybe I am simpler than most, but I use cms systems, put on good free templates and optimise on and off site.

I dont do coding, and I have never had a problem with my sites. Sure the basic template means that it wont be 100% unique, but changing, banners, colours and all original content does me and google it seems...

Banned
    It was only when I analyzed the site in Bing webmaster tools today did I find the problem - two title tags on each page! One was the dynamic title, the other was stray code copied from a static page (during the redesign phase).

Surprisingly Google WMT said "We didn't detect any issues with the title tags on your site" (and neither did SEOMoz) .. I'm not blaming G for my own mistake, but .. once again... take a good look at your own site before throwing in the towel. And if you haven't signed up with Bing WMT, do it now.. they now offer some terrific tools.

Honestly, I feel like I could give a seminar on website mistakes..
    Sir,
    It was really an eye opening post, for a fresher like me. I'll definitely remember this example to be careful during the designing phase. But I am just a bit confused why didn't Google detect this thing? Well, I think I shouldn't say this, but does this shows that Bing WMT is a step forward than G WMT?? Or is there some other technicalities??

Bing WMT is a step forward than G WMT
    That is exactly what I'm saying.. Bing launched a new version back in June that contains some fantastic diagnostic tools. It detected issues with some of my pages that I have never seen anywhere else.
    Last edited by teezone; September 28th, 2012 at 04:33 PM.

Banned
    Smile
    Bing launched a new version back in June that contains some fantastic diagnostic tools.
    Can you please share the related link to those diagnostic tools?? Even myself too would like to check if every thing's "ok!" with my business too.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by e2 solutions View Post
    Can you please share the related link to those diagnostic tools?? Even myself too would like to check if every thing's "ok!" with my business too.
    Bing - Webmaster Tools
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

18. Thanks From:

I also found that Bing Webmaster Tools offered some insights that I hadn't found elsewhere... it detected multiple h1 tags on certain pages and missing h1 tags on other pages, which I found helpful. However, whether or not multiple h1 tags is actually harmful is another question... Some of our competitors have multiple h1 tags on a page, and they seem to be doing quite well.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    My favorite "alert" I received in Bing Toolbox was not having the language set in my meta tags.

All sites in English. Only target US/Canada. Do geoIP targeting/blocking - but yet they suggest we tell them it's in English.

Ya think they could tell...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I have that alert too. It seems to matter more for sites that use languages different from the language of the country where the site is hosted.

It's like... Google Page Speed says to use the least amount of code possible, even white space is frowned upon, but here's Bing saying that you need this extra meta tag that's fairly useless.

22. Thanks From:

My favorite alert was on another site - telling me I had hidden text on pages...

I purchased a CMS template in early 2012 for a site redesign - it contained hidden text via css. Bing WMT was the only diagnostic tool that pointed that out.. and if you read Google guidelines, the first point is "Avoid hidden text or hidden links".

I was trying to be subtle in my recommendation of Bing.. no other tool caught it (not even the $99/mo SEOMoz).
    Last edited by teezone; October 1st, 2012 at 01:21 PM.

it contained hidden text via css.

how can this be found without using specialized analysis tools?
    The internet is a fad.

You have to examine all the page elements using a specialized tool.. in my case, it was easy to find (could only be in the template header/footer).

I'm sure there are other tools out there, but I use the Firebug add-on for Mozilla:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/firebug/

26. Thanks From:

teezone - was it something like an H1 tag using an image but also including keyword text that is hidden using a huge negative positioning offset? superCool has that in one theme he's using and thinks he might need to get rid of it.

how did you find it in firebug?

Hmm so it looks like Bing really is useful for something

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Thanks a lot.

Well! these are gonna be great help to me.
    Last edited by e2 solutions; October 3rd, 2012 at 07:17 AM.

Another mistake!

superCool noticed some crazy formatting on a page today. After looking at the page source it was clear that some odd html code had found it's way onto the page. Two merchants (related) have recently added html code to their feeds and it broke my site (about 800 pages).

Things superCool found in the product Description:
    - H1 tags
    - Image tags
    - embedded youtube videos
    - complete html tables
    - complete html DOCUMENTS - yes an entire HTML page

So this is superCool's fault for not having better processes in place to catch this, but the merchant is full of crap for doing this. superCool added a filter this morning and removed 800ish pages from the site .... how nice.

Lesson: don't trust content from other sources without verifying. And even if it's good today, it could be bad tomorrow. Keep an eye on it.

31. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread