commission rate at realtime
    Hi ,

I have a noob question.
    Considering I am implementing a price comparison mechanism.
    I have feeds from a few sources (GAN , CJ , others).

What I would like to do is at real time shoot a query to CJ , GAN , shareasale , others , regarding a specific item on a specific advertiser , and know what is the commission I will get for it .

e.g.
    If I want to buy a TV set with UPC 0023456456
    I can get quotes for it from tigerdirect , newegg , bestbuy , other.
    Each gives me a quote (through feed or API).
    I would like to know the commission I will get on each one of the offers.

Thanks a lot for your help

Dan

BTW , excuse my English as I am not a native English speaker.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I am not aware of any network that pushes the commission via API before a sale is made. Why does it matter?

I would like to know the commission I will get on each one of the offers
    You could add the percent commission earned on each product to a field in your own database...

Networks & stores don't provide quotes to affiliates - commission rates are published for each, and you would have to build the math yourself, in your own environment.

Chuck Teezone - thanks
    Teezone - I think you are right on spot.
    Chuck - I think the need is quite simple, I want to buy a price comparison engine. Considering I want to share the commission with the customer , I must know at any given moment what is the share I can give.

Moreover , What if one of the Advertisers works with more than one network ?
    Is that situation possible ?
    In that situation I might want to put a peronalized like from one network for that advertiser over another.

Thanks

Dan

Commission rates do not change on a per program basis more than once a year on average. Look for rebate sites and see how that is presented. With a little detective work you can trace the link back to the network then look up the commission per merchant.

If this is prohibiting you from getting started it shouldn't.

Chuck ,

Thanks.
    I am very much into it already :-).
    Am looking for the frog leap from comparing shops to comparing items , and seeking for the best algorithm to see what is the commission I get per item.
    Advertisers might have variable commission rate based on the product category or the bulk amount of affiliate $ you brought so far.

So Ideally it would be commission per item (As it varies according to the parameters stated above).

So , let me see if I understand correctly.
    In order to calculate the commission correctly , I should:
    1.Get the STATIC commission rate from the advertiser , whether in API or feed.
    2.Get the product price (FEED)
    3.Do the math .

Is this the right way ?

Thanks

Dan

What if one of the Advertisers works with more than one network?
    It happens, you would probably just choose to work with the one that suits you best. Terms are probably the same, but networks tools differ, and you might have a personal preference (ie. which is easier to implement).

I see what you're doing, and it is an interesting idea - but I tend to look at conversion first, commission second. Rates might be higher on a specific merchant because the store doesn't convert as well.

At any rate, good luck with your project!

I can tell you that datafeed affiliates that offer a price comparison shopping site make a lot of money. Turning it into a cashback/rebate site is a double win. Another example of an affiliate offering something a merchant can't.

Chuck - that is exactly where we are heading.

It is just a hint , but it definitely is going to use all and every aspect of being affiliate and suck any bit of data so that we could optimize our algorithm to make the best out of any deal , and as a consequence share with the end-customer whatever we can.
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; July 24th, 2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: removed links

datafeed affiliates that offer a price comparison shopping site make a lot of money
    If they can survive Google Panda... the classic saying "if you build it, they will come" does not apply to affiliate marketing these days. There was a terrific thread last year started by tech savvy member who launched a coupon site, only to have no visitors.

Many datafeed sites have fallen by the wayside, after being pushed down the rankings into oblivion.. if you can offer something unique, and add some content, it has a chance.

Slightly off-topic, but I couldn't resist

I removed your links as that is against the rule in this sub forum. You can however start a new thread in the Review forum and add links there.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    +1 Teezone...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Teezone - off-topic but important nonetheless.
    WE are just doing our first baby steps and DEFINITELY we plan to give insights which so far were only in extremely shopping savvy minds...
    a good example is this : [deleted link]

We have Panda and Penguin on our minds 24/7 and that is exactly why we try and give unique content , and in the very soon future also very unique service (The one we spoke of above).

Soon....
    Last edited by teezone; July 24th, 2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: removed link

Chuck - thanks for that Actually I only saw how it looks in the post after I posted...
    For some reason it takes the Meta from the site instead of just showing a link (which was my initial meaning).

I am sorry for passing the rules... this definitely was not my intention.

Thanks
    (You can delete the latter message as well if it passes that exact rule).

Dan

Convergence , Chuck , teezone - I would like to thank you all for this fruitful and healthy discussion.
    You have a great site and people here.

Dan

16. Thanks From:

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread