Affiliate Stores
    I want to start up a few stores with affiliate feeds, wondering if I would be best to buy individual domains for each one or just start a generic title store???.com then add sub-domains for each data feed.

The separate domain idea is probably best but is going to incur annual fees when I renew the domains if the data-feeds don't pay for themselves and I'll then be down in profit.

Just wondering what you guys think.

It depends upon your budget and your ability
    to create sites.
    I would choose a general domain name that you could use
    to market more than one item, related items.
    Create specific sub domains.

See what other advice you get.

The problem with buying a domain for specific
    items/merchants is: what if the merchant
    discontinues the business? That happens often
    in affiliate marketing.

Here is an example of a company closing affiliate shoe programs:
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/commi...ms-158144.html
    Last edited by Rhia7; July 24th, 2012 at 01:53 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Hi Rhia

Yes I was thinking that if I did buy domain names I would get something generic in a field then it would be easier to swap to another affiliate program if one shut down.

A lot of companies don't like you using their name in your domain I would think.

Exclamation
    Quote Originally Posted by philrr View Post
    A lot of companies don't like you using their name in your domain I would think.
    definitely -- good way to get yourself dropped from a program. you probably will also have to give the domain to the company.

Definitely stay away from trademarks in the domain. We've had several sub affiliates lose their domains over that one.

Ok I have bought a generic store. I'll keep you guys informed how it develops.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; July 25th, 2012 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Removed Link. You don't need it in your post.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Keep in mind also that it's really not enough anymore to just put up a site with a good domain and datafeed content. Google considers feed content to be duplicate content and if you don't heavily invest in unique content for the site around the feed-based store front, you likely won't get the Google traffic in the fiirst place, or if you do, you'll lose it when Google continues to watch browser behavior on your site. It's not nearly as easy to do this as it used to be.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

8. Thanks From:

Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateWarrior View Post
    Keep in mind also that it's really not enough anymore to just put up a site with a good domain and datafeed content. Google considers feed content to be duplicate content and if you don't heavily invest in unique content for the site around the feed-based store front, you likely won't get the Google traffic in the fiirst place, or if you do, you'll lose it when Google continues to watch browser behavior on your site. It's not nearly as easy to do this as it used to be.
    Hi Affiliate warrior Good points I'm using Golden Can for my data feeds they do shuffle the categories a bit so that may help with the duplicate content problem.

Progress to date I have a store set up now [removed] if anyone wants to take a look I have 5 datafeeds setup so far from various sources mostly shareasale and CJ.

I'm placing the separate stores in sub domains under that main site.
    Last edited by teezone; August 5th, 2012 at 12:30 AM. Reason: removed link - again

Progress to date I have a store set up now ...if anyone wants to take a look
    You can post your link on the Site Review forum here: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/site-...er-review-146/

With the exception of the Site Review forum above, members need 250 posts before adding links.

Good luck with your site, keep us posted how it goes.

11. Thanks From:

The Panda update from Google stuck a huge blow to sites with duplicate content. If there are already a lot of sites that display content from the same data feed it might be hard to get a decent ranking on Google. Google likes value added content. Think of other things you might be able to add to the site to add value to the page.

Yes I'm not bothering much with Google I'm using Social Media to promote the site its more effective.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread