CPM advertising question(s)
    Cost per mille advertising? I know the large majority of you guys have your own websites to which you try to drive people to and then click through your links to try and get conversions, but can any of you speak to the success or lack thereof you've had posting ads (with your aff link attached) on other public sites?

I haven't been on here in a while, i was in the process of trying to get my own site up and running a while back but my day job has just consumed way too much of my time to be able to pursue it right now. My wife is a stay at home mom though and has recently shown interest in affiliate marketing, and it was the CPM model that she was interested in more than creating her own site.

I actually wanted to approach her about exploring affiliate marketing almost two years ago when i was starting to learn about it but i was pretty sure she'd have no interest at that point as she was also working at that time. her father brought it up to her out of the blue this past week and she seemed extremely interested. The problem is her father just see's these pre-packaged "buy this program and your a gonna be riiiiich" BS and he thinks that it has to be so easy to make it in affiliate marketing because so and so says so while advertising their product. I quickly explained to her that this isn't the case and that she has a lot of learning to do if she is serious about it and told her she needs to check ABW out to get started..

Any insight that you guys could provide into the pros/cons of CPM advertising and or any other good relevant info about it would be much appreciated.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    CPM advertising just like PPC takes experience. Although there are cheap sources for CPM they don't necessarily convert. You need to consider conversion rates of 0.5%, what that will cost to generate enough click throughs to make enough sales to pay for the effort. If you want to play with a few $100 and have the money to lose then have fun. If its bill money then find another way to make money.

3. Thanks From:

Money is not extremely tight, but i do not want to throw away a ton of it as a result of her having no knowledge of what works or what doesn't work. I asked her the simple question of what do you want to market and she hadn't even given that a thought, she just knew that she had the right situation to try aff marketing and wanted to dive right in..

She is looking to focus on CPM / PPC (via adwords i suppose) but before she does i'm trying to get her to find something she knows well that she would be able to try and create effective ads that people might actually click on. She doesn't have the knowledge or capacity to learn how to build her own site like many here have done, so at this point i'm trying to help her determine a niche that she could target that isn't already completely saturated with overwhelming competiton (if that is even possible at this point)

She also mentioned wanting to try to target items via clickbank that she could promote, i know that clickbank is full of garbage products but didn't know if there's enough quality material on there to make it worth swimming through all the garbage to find. I've read a lot of mixed insights about whether or not clickbank is worth the trouble..

I can't help but remember reading somebody's take on here about how they got started via PPC a loooong time ago, (i think it was calebtheredwood or something like that) talking about how they did a campaign promoting a strategy guide for a PC game and when he woke up not long after starting the campaign and saw that he had made a profit there was no turning back for him.. I'd love to have my wife's story go something like that but from what i've read/observed, its not nearly as easy for newbies now as it may have been "a loooong time ago"

Regardless, i'm trying to at least get her thinking along the lines of "what do you like/ what do you know" instead of just looking for something completely random and trying to promote it without any experience or knowledge at all..

thanks for the reply..

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    To get started with an eCommerce network like Commission Junction or Shareasale you will need a site to submit. If you negotiate with merchants they may let you do PPC and you always have the option of using affiliate banners for display ads. I caution you that tracking could breakdown with display banner ads and perhaps others can give their experience. That said CPM advertising gets less than 1% conversion and you generally are running a minimum of 50k banners that would cost you $200 for a $4CPM. So take a $100 average order value (AOV) with a 10% commission at 1% conversion and do the math as to how much you have to spent to make any money.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread