How many more days Offline?
    Temporarily Offline 07/17/2012 at 1:08:06 PM
    Merchant Village Hat Shop has gone offline due to lack of funds.

Temporarily Offline 07/23/2012 at 10:45:19 AM
    Merchant Fantasy Jewelry Box has gone offline due to lack of funds.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    would be a great question to ask the merchants directly.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

3. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateWarrior View Post
    I know, but I decided to open this thread in case other affiliates didn't...

Anyway, after more than a week (7 Days) at Temporarily Offline status, the merchants may no longer care about their affiliate program, so why should I?

The good part is that in SAS, at least we can redirect those Offline links to another page and not lose the click, the bad part is for those that do PPC and may lose some of their money on links to those clicks...

5. Thanks From:

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    HometownQuotes Temporarily Offline since 03/02/2012
    DrinkingStuff.com Temporarily Offline since 01/24/2012
    4MortgageHelp.org Temporarily Offline since 05/06/2011
    WineRackStore.com Temporarily Offline since 05/05/2010

Many merchants are there, but just don't care.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

7. Thanks From:

I usually send an email to the merchant after two days and if I get no response, I drop them. I sent an email to The Village Hat Shop and never received a response and dropped them. Most of the time I get a response. Most of the time the merchant's credit card has expired for the automatic deposit.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm glad this issue being brought up again. I remember I saw it somewhere before. It is very annoying to see so many "temporarily offline" merchants. Some has been "temporarily offline" for years. I just spend a significant amount of time this weekend cleaning up my SAS merchants. Dropped all "temporarily offline" merchants who has been offline for over a week.

There is no sense to work with the merchants who don't manage or care about their affiliate programs.

There is no sense to work with the merchants who don't manage or care about their affiliate programs.
    Agreed!

I think it's important for affiliates to share "offline" news with the rest of the community... we shouldn't have to chase down merchants who don't care about the status of their program. Let's get the news out there and move on.

11. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    I definitely don't think it's a bad idea to get the names out there for other affiliates to see. Wow Phil - this one -
    WineRackStore.com Temporarily Offline since 05/05/2010 is particularly bad.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Yea, Wade, and what hurts with this one (that never responded to any emails over several years going way back before 2010) is that they had unique products available nowhere else, and paid a really high commission rate. They could have cut their commission rate in half and kept all their affiliates and grown a successful program.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal View Post
    Anyway, after more than a week (7 Days) at Temporarily Offline status, the merchants may no longer care about their affiliate program, so why should I?
    Another One Bites The Dust!

Temporarily Offline
    07/17/2012 at 1:08:06 PM
    Merchant Village Hat Shop has gone offline due to lack of funds.
    Last Commissionable Transaction through Affiliate: 07/17/2012 01:08:05 PM
    Last Compliance Test Completed: 13-Aug-12
    I no longer care if the Village Hat Shop goes back online or not, but this sucks:

How can a merchant, any other merchant, that have been offline due to lack of funds for almost a month, or longer, still be in Compliance as of today?

I am a very patience man, and sometimes I will give an extra slack of time for some merchants on Temporarily Offline status, because I know that sometimes shit happens...

But, I still can't understand why SAS would still show merchants that have been offline due to lack of funds for almost a month, or longer, still be in Compliance as of today, since the network and the affiliates would not be making any money from any link to those Temporarily Offline merchants links...

I hate to think that the only reason SAS would show a deadbeat merchant in Compliance is because the merchant pays the monthly minimum fee in order to keep the acount open... ( I hope that's not the reason.)

I also see a problem with this:

Regardless of why SAS would decide to keep any merchant that have been offline due to lack of funds for almost a month, or longer, still be in Compliance as of today, why would SAS still show those offline merchants datafeed, as a merchant with an updated new datafeed....?

It's bad enough as it's with SE's deciding what pages to add to their index or not, because of whatever algo they use, but it's a dead end suicide to find out that the SE's have crawled hundreds, or thousands of pages on you site to an Temporarily Offline merchant...

Affiliates and merchants may come and go in just a click, but index pages on any SE may take a long time to erase...

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    +1
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I miss Carolyn Think she managed this one once quite a while back or at least knew the guy where you could ask her and she'd give you an honest answer as to what's going on. This would never have happened.

Grrrrrrrr
    Definitely am not one of the computer smarties so wouldn't have a clue how it's done but am sure there must be a way to deal with this. Completely agree with you Mr. Sal. When a merchant has been offline even after a week's time when an affiliate goes to get links those merchants shouldn't be anywhere at all visible. (not in make a page, datafeed or anywhere)

Been talked about and talked about but should be some kind of 3 strikes and your out.....out of the network completely.

And.....I've always emailed or contacted offline merchants from inside SAS in the past but has gotten to the point where are too many and too often anymore to do so. Only do so now if I honestly think there's a genuine problem and it will get fixed soon.

Here we go again!

Temporarily?
    Temporarily Offline

"Fantasy Jewelry" ID: 9576
    Merchant Fantasy Jewelry Box has gone offline due to lack of funds.

03/16/2013 at 9:51:40 PM

Friday 4/5/13 Fantasy Jewelry showed up as offline though it says since 3/16/12??? Why the long period before we are told????
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

19. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by boningroup View Post
    Friday 4/5/13 Fantasy Jewelry showed up as offline though it says since 3/16/12??? Why the long period before we are told????
    A better picture:
    Program Status:Temporarily Offline
    Offline Date: 03/16/2013 9:51:40 PM

Last Commissionable Transaction via Affiliate:
    04/04/2013 04:39:57 PM

Last Compliance Test Completed: 04/07/2013
    Because none of this makes sense:

How can they be Offline since: 03/16/2013
    and have a Commissionable Transaction on the 04/04/2013
    and still be in Compliance today 04/07/2013

A better picture:

Because none of this makes sense:

How can they be Offline since: 03/16/2013
    and have a Commissionable Transaction on the 04/04/2013
    and still be in Compliance today 04/07/2013
    Easy, their cookie is good for 60 days. As for compliance testing, being offline doesn't mean they have removed their tracking...

22. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Easy, their cookie is good for 60 days. As for compliance testing, being offline doesn't mean they have removed their tracking...
    Cookie may be good for 60 days but, when the visitors click on those links after the merchant is Offline, those vistors may never comeback to any of those pages or sites that may redirect those invalid links to similar products or a search box...

If the SE send you a targeted visitor for that specific Jewelry and that mechant is Offline, who wins?

The merchant loses the sale.
    The network and the Affiliate lose the Commission.
    The Visitor can't become a Customer, and may not even return as a tageted visitor again.

Yes, it may be easier to remove the Offline merchant from the site, but then we have to deal with 404's or more redirects, and more stuff from the SE's.

Cookie may be good for 60 days but, when the visitors click on those links after the merchant is Offline, those vistors may never comeback to any of those pages or sites that may redirect those invalid links to similar products or a search box...

If the SE send you a targeted visitor for that specific Jewelry and that mechant is Offline, who wins?

The merchant loses the sale.
    The network and the Affiliate lose the Commission.
    The Visitor can't become a Customer, and may not even return as a tageted visitor again.

Yes, it may be easier to remove the Offline merchant from the site, but then we have to deal with 404's or more redirects, and more stuff from the SE's.
    If a visitor clicks on an affiliate link the day before the merchant goes offline, does not buy, comes back a week later to the merchant while the merchant is still offline, makes a perchase, the sale is still registered - now whether or not anyone ever gets paid for that sale is yet to be seen.

No one wins when a merchant is offline. Nor can a network force them to stay online. Nor is it beneficial or practical for a network to penalize a merchant financially for being offline. The merchant either gives a damn about their program or they don't.

We personally leave the offline merchant's product links on our site and offer up a competitor when the visitor tries to click out to the offline merchant. We only do this to prevent having X amount of 404s. If the merchant doesn't respond to our emails and is still offline for thirty days - we just delete them from our system.

However, as Brian would say, "you can always quit that merchant"...

...certainly at any point during the last year you could remove yourself from that program (if you are a part of it, you may not be I understand) and never ever join them again.
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/1148321-post3.html
    Last edited by Convergence; April 7th, 2013 at 08:31 PM.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Merchants are to keep the pixel active on the Thank You page until the agreement has expired. If they have another month on the agreement but notify and deactivate the affiliates in 7 days all sales made within the 30 day cookie period are to be honored.

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread