Outsourced Program Manager DaveAMWSO's Avatar
    Facebook Advertising - Value or Junk?
    A few days ago, I came across a some posts and discussion regarding an analytics company doing research on Facebook ads claims that the VAST majority of Facebook ads clicks were determined to be from bots. (I linked the discussion on our FB page about it).

A few months ago Facebook ads were a hot topic and item for affiliates (and merchants), but really seems things have died down lately. Even doing a search here on Abestweb I didn't find many recent discussions regarding Facebook ads.

Just out of curiosity, is anyone still advertising on Facebook and actually getting conversions? I know some people advertise for pure traffic...but that claim by the analytics company sure does lead one to suspect the value of that traffic. Of course, what they saw COULD just be an anomaly.

Btw, I also blogged in detail about my own thoughts regarding the effectiveness and possible future effectiveness for Facebook ads. Check out the post via my twitter (in my sig) if you're interested and have some time to kill
    [B]Dave Oliver[/B] - AMWSO Affiliate Program Management Team
    [URL=http://www.amwso.com]www.amwso.com[/URL] | dave [at] amwso.com | AIM: DaveOliPM | Twitter: [URL=https://twitter.com/daveolipm]@daveolipm[/URL] |
    Programs: [URL=http://www.amwso.com/artoftea.php] Art of Tea[/URL] | [URL=http://www.amwso.net/affiliatet/eachbuyer-affiliate-program/]Eachbuyer[/URL] | [URL=https://www.facebook.com/amwso]AMWSO FB[/URL]

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    We tried FB advertising for our hosting business and it was an absolute waste of time. We suspect for the following reasons:

• The niche - not the right target market
    • Social is social - people aren't looking for info or to buy. They're looking to be social, in their own weird FB ways...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I just found a fairly recent written article that might be of interest
    to you.

One Chart That Explains The Transformation Of Media In 2012

One Chart That Explains The Transformation Of Media In 2012

Facebook's challenge to Google, which accelerated with changes to the news feed, is part of the broader rise of social platforms as dominant drivers of traffic to publishers in the first half of 2012. Search engines — who drove publishers toward complex Search Engine Optimization techniques for half a decade — show little growth.
    The article suggests that search will remain important for finding older information but that Facebook and other social networks will
    offer a "striking evidence of a tectonic shift in the shape of the Internet."

After reading this article, I wonder will Facebook remain the dominant social network or will another eclipse it? Was Google+ a frantic attempt on the part of Google to grab the power of social?

I have not bought anything through a Facebook ad and I don't think any of my "friends" have either. Many (but not all) of my "friends" are online marketers. Some of my relatives are on FB but I haven't heard of them clicking a FB ad and buying something.
    Last edited by Rhia7; August 2nd, 2012 at 01:46 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Here's an article about Facebook that could be indirectly
    applied to your question:
    Facebook's portal problem | Econsultancy

Facebook wants to delve into entertainment: music, movies, and tv, plus
    it wants to become a job source. So will Facebook become an ultimate
    portal for people or will Facebook fail by trying to become too much?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Here's new statistics that don't paint good news for FB:
    Facebook falls, hitting record low

Facebook falls 3.8%, hitting record low

Facebook Inc. dropped 3.8 percent to a record low Wednesday ... Shares slipped to $20.88, the lowest closing price since the Menlo Park company held an initial public offering on May 17.

Also Wednesday, Facebook executives Katie Mitic and Ethan Beard announced that they are leaving the company to pursue new opportunities.
    So it looks as if there might be a shakeup which might affect the impact of advertising.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Want to give your Facebook advertisements value instead of
    turning them into junk??
    Follow these tips, they're really good
    17 Potent Paces to Improved Facebook Engagement | Kruse Control Inc.

Bet you want to add cool apps & links to your Facebook page, right?
    Excellent step-by-step instructions:
    How to Find and Add Facebook Apps to Your Facebook Page
    http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/h...facebook-page/
    Last edited by Rhia7; August 2nd, 2012 at 02:52 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Facebook’s Slide Continues Despite the Company’s Reach and the Market’s Hopes
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/02/te...jcw155GQmjI1Qg

Read breaking news about Facebook fresh from the New York Times

I found the fact that users are flocking to mobile faster than FB is offering
    advertisements on a mobile platform [that's causing a slight problem] interesting and applicable to affiliate
    pages as well. Make sure your pages are ready for Mobile
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Mobile is definitely growing. We have a new FB page that supports one of our travel sites and placed a "location pin" in a popular area - and received over 5,000 "Check-ins" in the last three months. In this particular and very comprtitve market, we were very late to the party in implementing Facebook.

FB will certainly address the rapid rise in mobile.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I am testing a shopping plug button that works with a Facebook page via an affiliate. I offered it to my largest brand client who said that they wanted to decline the opportunity. Their social focus in branding and awareness, not to drive sales.

Affiliate Manager
    We've tried FB ads and I must say we're not sold on their effectiveness. FB will work for certain niches and branding but for now their ads aren't attracting the converting people. We had a conversion rate of like .001%.

Here's a good question to ask:
    Are Your Facebook Fans People or Bots?
    Facebook Ads: Are You Attracting Customers or Bots? | Inc.com
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I used to use Facebook and Google AdWords. When it comes to the conversion it was better with Ad Words but I wouldn't say Facebook was useless.

Well, if Facebook advertising is valuable or it is junk, depends on several factors in my opinion. It depends on the product or service your are advertising and also your targeted audience.

Still, I would not spend a lot of money for advertising on FB, as I would prefer advertising on Google and Yahoo.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    If you use Facebook ads to build a community to market to by building the following of a Fan Page that you actually really effectively curate, you can do well with it. If you're trying to directly sell using the FB ads, I think you're in for a long haul.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

15. Thanks From:

I think for facebook ads to work you have to already have a huge following and a group of people who are very interested in your services. I do not believe that facebook ads are like google ads.

I'll give you on example:
    I have 10,000 hard core Libertarian friends and subscribers to my personal page, I also have a fan page with 3 thousand people who also have friends who are hard core libertarians.

So, 13,000 Libertarians have many different hobbies but share a few things in common. We are all interested in economics, emergency prepardness in case of a dollar collapse and alternative news.

Now, If I was to have an a-store on my Libertarian page that sold items like. "Seed Vault" or Water purifiers, or other items that Libertarians are interested then I would have great return on my advertising because all my "FANS" and Friends of fans would all have the same interests.

If you don't have some kind of tight knit formation like that on facebook I can see how you will be throwing money down the drain.
    :kiss:

17. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by ilovemedia View Post
    The problem with Facebook ads is that it's very expensive. But I think it's a good advertising scheme because it's very targeted. But when it comes to PPC on FB, bots could really jeopardize your campaigns. So instead of PPC, just have PPI.
    I agree that facebook ads seem to give me more bang for my buck with PPI. I also found it much easier to get them to just "like" a page then to try to convert them to a customer based on one ad. I want them on my fan page because then they get a feed and I get a more captive audience and up my odds of having something on my page that will call them to action.

Quote Originally Posted by bbrooksfineflowers View Post
    I want them on my fan page because then they get a feed and I get a more captive audience and up my odds of having something on my page that will call them to action.
    Our social media manager, Christian, saw some similar results. Our Facebook fan page has a higher conversion rate than our coupon page. If you look for one of our coupons via PPC, you see our ad directing you to our Facebook page.

20. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread