Do Long tail keywords optimize included short tail keywords?
    If I have an anchor text that says something like "free online invoicing software" would that also have an affect on the keyword "online invoicing" since it is included in the anchor text?

Artist
    The effect would be very small. Based on my experience, I used to target a keyword like this "Canvas art prints" Art prints itself is part of the keyword that I wanted to rank for. I ended up on the first page for the keyword that I mention in this post. But, I did not really see great results coming out the Art print's keyword. It's best to target each keyword separately to maximize the effect. It's more effective to target each keyword that you want to rank for separately.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks for the reply arold

Some of my testing has shown traction for shorter tail keywords that were part of my main longtail keyword by adding a title tag as part of the anchor text.

I just added title="keywords, separated, by, commas" before the href= portion of the link. This allows you to break up the original longtail keywords and "helps" the SERPs break out the smaller keywords.

Bottom Line: This helps, but as arold10 stated " It's best to target each keyword separately to maximize the effect"
    Jason Rubacky - CEO/SEO Nerd at PassTheSEO
    jason at passtheseo dot com
    @jasonrubacky

6. Thanks From:

It's all relevant. If your site is about "online invoicing", having a page about "free online invoicing software" would contribute to the overall reputation your site has on that topic. If you're trying to kill a flock of birds with one stone you may be spinning your wheels. There is no cut and dry answer.

8. Thanks From:

I think most people who dont have huge resources tend to go long tail. Also having a mix of long and short tail looks more natural to google, particularly if you are doing all the links yourself.

Where I can do so, I also include suburb names as surnames on blogs. Its just all time consuming, but thats the business we are in until we are big enough to outsource.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread