Creating a merchant coupon site?
    I was wondering if any merchants have built their own independent coupon code site to list their coupons on.

I have some good domain names "MerchantNameCoupons.com" and I think it would get good SEO. Plus with a link from my site I'm thinking it should show up on the first page of Google. I could also do PPC for it if need be.

Anyway, I'm guessing people have tried this before and I'm curious to know if it worked. Any advice or tips would be awesome.

Are you looking to sell the domain to the merchants?

It's not worth the trouble to build, as it constitutes trademark infringement - you would get a takedown notice pretty quick.

There is a related thread here: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/domai...lp-157475.html

I'm thinking more from the merchants point of view. So there would be no trademark infringement.

I read a lot of posts about merchants having trouble with many of the coupon code sites they work with. I was wondering why merchants don't build their own coupon site and put their coupons on it. Since they don't have to worry about trademark infringement they can use a domain such as "merchant-coupons" and optimize the site for SEO.

I'm just thinking if merchants own these domain names or I buy them for them. It might be worth my while to contact merchants and help them setup a coupon site or something. So I'm curious if anyone has ever tried something like this before.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Once you contact a merchant after buying a domain domain name with their brand in it - they will be able to just take it from you.

If a merchant sets up another website just for their coupon codes they are idiots. That's twice the SEO, twice the work, etc. Most problems that merchants have with coupon sites is the use of non-affiliate coupons and out-dated coupons. Having a coupon site for just their coupons would not alleviate these issues.

But hey, I could be wrong...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I had an affiliate ask if they could purchase a domain plus coupon for my clients. Half said yes and half said no. There again as mentioned if a merchant decided to take over the domain after it was established it would not be difficult for them to do so.

We actually built something like this about a year ago & never had the time to get it off the ground. Plus there's a lot of work involved getting merchants on board & getting them to use it (plus how it also impacts affiliates etc).

Very simply allows merchants to manage their own coupons on a subdomain (like coupons.merchantname.com), handles all their email alerts when new coupons are added & provides stats on coupon usage.
    Merchants, build your own coupon landing pages with [URL="http://couponzor.com/"]Couponzor[/URL] - Example Landing Page: [URL="http://istockphoto.couponzor.com/"]iStockPhoto Coupons[/URL]

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Chuck, why in the hell would one of your clients approve an affiliate buying a domain plus coupon domain? Those guys aren't thinking well at all - did you coach them through the complete lack of logic involved?
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    A small brand may want additional expose they wouldn't have time for themselves. Like I said for the ones that agreed and it was their choice I let the affiliate know that the merchant could request the domain back at a later date. For big brands the answer was invariably NO.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    I wouldn't authorize that under any circumstances... building out a site would take a couple hours tops. I've seen some affiliates use this technique and they were making pretty decent money with totally crap sites. I shudder to think of what they would have done if they would have taken some time and dressed the sites up a bit.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread