SMS: 4 Ways To Get Your Local Business To Stand Out Online
    Search Marketing Standard has just published the following:

4 Ways To Get Your Local Business To Stand Out Online

In a local market there can be plenty of competition.* Specifically in a large city, you can only imagine how many pizza places, hair salons, dentists, lawyers, etc., there may be.* Since what you offer is typically the same as your competitors, itís important to ramp up your marketing in order to stand out.* Offline marketing can still be effective for a local business, but as more people are searching online for local products or services, itís important to have a positive online presence.* Use these local online marketing tactics to stand out and differentiate your business from the rest:

1.* Localize keywords to include in content

SEO best practice is to conduct keyword research on a national level first, and then localize the results.* So, instead of targeting the very broad ďdentistĒ you would target ďAnytown Anystate DentistĒ in the meta information and on page content since that is how people will be searching.* Itís OK to target up to 3 locations (the city that you are actually physically located in and two surrounding cities) but you donít want to target any more than that.

2.* Go very local in a competitive city

If you are located in a very large city, like New York City or Chicago, targeting ďNew York City DentistĒ isnít the best option if your website is new and you are just getting started with SEO. Why? Itís still an extremely competitive keyword phrase, even though itís localized.* Instead, niche it down even further to the neighborhood, street, area of town, zip code, etc. and include this information in the meta information and on page content.* The search volume wonít be as high, but you will have a better chance of ranking for these long tail keywords.

3.* Activate local profiles

A local business should have a presence on every local profile site.* The most important for SEO purposes is Google+ Local, but other important listing sites include Bing Local, Yahoo Local, Local.com, Merchant Circle, YP.com, Super Pages, City Search, and Yelp.* Each of these listing sites allow you to include a link which helps link building efforts and helps drive traffic to your site.* For any profile site that includes reviews, encourage happy customers to give your business a positive review.* If people search for your brand, these reviews will pop up and can help (or hurt!) your online reputation.* Therefore, they should be monitored at all times.

4.* Get active in social

Many local businesses arenít making the most of social media due to lack of knowledge, resources, time, etc.* If you embrace social media and use it correctly to engage with followers you will have an advantage over the competition.* Keeping in touch with customers, patients, clients, etc. via social media can lead to repeated business, loyalty, and referrals.

Save 50% on Search Marketing Standard Magazine; use Coupon Code "ABW50" - Offer expires 12/31/2012

Read More From 4 Ways To Get Your Local Business To Stand Out Online...

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Who would this article be for? Local merchants with local affiliate programs?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Who would this article be for? Local merchants with local affiliate programs?
    It appears (sounds like) it is targeted toward small, local businesses - doctors, lawyers, Indian chiefs and mom & pop, themselves.

To wit: "SEO best practice is to conduct keyword research on a national level first, and then localize the results."

I'm sure the target audience does not have a clue - as to what that statement says or means. Some self-proclaimed experts must like to write to fill word quotas and not really reach an audience. That is akin to us telling webmasters to provice content of true value to their readers.

That was, obviously, a non-vetted auto-post. It did achieve a goal of helping to push post and viewer counts up a bit - because it got your and my attention. LOL
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

4. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    There are more than just affiliates who frequent this post and I have had many questions asked about local search. Bill you have many local sites, have you ever focused on local search?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    There are more than just affiliates who frequent this post and I have had many questions asked about local search.
    Well for Pete's sake - let's make sure we don't alienate ANYONE. Lets just turn this into a massive everything be all forum.

Good grief...

OK let me re=phrase the question, do affiliates try to get their sites listed in local search when it has a local theme? Or are affiliates site only for national marketing?

OK let me re=phrase the question, do affiliates try to get their sites listed in local search when it has a local theme? Or are affiliates site only for national marketing?
    Understand how some search engines work - you have to identify a location for your website so they will pick up and TARGET local search results. Otherwise you're in the national or worldwide group.

PPC is one way to specifically target local users. But most affiliates aren't targeting local because the programs don't exist - at least not readily.

If you have a site on driving tourism to Vegas - you don't want to target residents of Vegas.

Many merchants have brick and mortar locations that they are always touting on their website "visit our showroom" or "visit our store". For those I personally try to BLOCK the local IPs (on links were we can). I don't want to waste traffic for someone who will likely just go to the merchant's store or who doesn't pay commissions for ordering online and picking up locally...

I had recent heard a discussion of getting G benefits by setting up your local site through G+ and that it would also benefit local search. I have always separated local SEO search from local PPC but with G trying to milk all revenue streams any advantage would be worth considering. Still don't benefit affiliates who are targeting national advertisers unless G gives them an overall SEO bump if they optimize for local.

Still don't benefit affiliates who are targeting national advertisers unless G gives them an overall SEO bump if they optimize for local.
    Correct. And TARGETING is just that. You end up in one group...

11. Thanks From:

Local is useless to me...

My best store is 3,000 miles away.

I don't see local as an affiliate issue here.. most of us promote stores to readers who have no idea where we are even domiciled.

13. Thanks From:

I think it was worth discussing as it sounds like a mistake to jump on the G+ wagon in hopes of more SERPs.

Bill you have many local sites, have you ever focused on local search?
    No - never took time to investigate that because I thought it applied to places with a physical addresss (as in a brick & mortar store). We talk about a region, i.e. beach resort area.

With that said, we have always looked to create pages for long-tail local attractions, be they things to do, places to shop, to dine or places go to for entertainment - things we believed our readers would find interesting and/or useful. It must be working...last month our main "beach" site had Goog and BingHoo results for over 26,000 DIFFERENT keywords.

We have never tried to "influence" the search engines but have always focused on trying to provide items of interest for our readers. Now that I have a full time partner we will be building more tightly focused sites for these local areas.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I think it was worth discussing as it sounds like a mistake to jump on the G+ wagon in hopes of more SERPs.
    Just a mistake to jump on that bandwagon, anyway. People need to quit doing things in the hopes of appeasing the Google...

Just a mistake to jump on that bandwagon, anyway. People need to quit doing things in the hopes of appeasing the Google...
    I agree but common sense things are important like writing for the reader, using HTML elements that make sense (H1 tags, site maps, etc.). I see so much garbage that newbie affiliates do when creating first sites which directly relate to what is seen in the SERPs.

18. Thanks From:

Haven't really changed the way things are done for a long time. Have some hiccups, but don't panic. Go up and go down. If it's a glaring mistake like bad page/site structure, etc - it gets fixed. The basics have never changed. It's webmasters who look for a shortcut while chasing the proverbial brass ring that get bit the most...

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread