Steve Wozniak's view on cloud computing
    When friends ask me about cloud computing, I will now point them to this article (Steve Wozniak couldn't have said it better!):

Apple co-founder Wozniak sees trouble in the cloud - Yahoo! News Canada

I might be in the minority, but I have never understood the logic of storing personal or business data on cloud servers (unless it's your own network of servers!). Having files "out there" doesn't sit well with me.. even though I know some people swear by it. I'm not talking about hosting, this is desktop-based..

Local storage means you have to implement some kind of (offsite) backup, but I've always treated that as part of a "disaster recovery" plan.

2. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    What a poorly written article.

Anyway, I have to agree with Wozniak on the cloud issue in regards to storing YOUR information.

On related note, as far as cloud HOSTING, not a fan of it either...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

It caught my eye on Drudge - I've always liked Steve Wozniak (despite his embarassing stint on 'Dancing with the Stars'..!).

Can't say I'm familiar with cloud hosting, but 'Cloud' has been such a buzzword lately that a number of my non-tech friends & family have been asking me about it. These are folks who barely know how to change their wallpaper, or find a downloaded file on their hard drive (with all due respect to them!) - switching to cloud could be a disaster.

There was a great comment in the article:
    Hey you - get off of my cloud!

Your friends are asking about it because Apple and Android phones are storing their data on the phone service's "cloud".

I remember this song being played by my folks...

The Rolling Stones - Get Off of My Cloud (1967) - YouTube

In addition to the phones, TV commercials have popped up in the past year (Microsoft, IBM, etc), promoting cloud storage for desktops. Friends have been asking if they should switch when they don't really understand what it is..

Who knew the Stones song could take on new meaning?? And how young did Mick Jagger look in that clip.. wow..

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    When friends ask me about cloud computing, I will now point them to this article (Steve Wozniak couldn't have said it better!):
    Thanks for that link, teezone!

But the engineering wizard behind the progenitor of today's personal computer, the Apple II, was most outspoken on the shift away from hard disks towards uploading data into remote servers, known as cloud computing.

"I really worry about everything going to the cloud," he said. "I think it's going to be horrendous. I think there are going to be a lot of horrible problems in the next five years."

Apple co-founder Wozniak sees trouble in the cloud - Yahoo! News Canada
    Now that I know more about what the hell was all the hype about the cloud features, all I can say is that it would be a cold day in hell before I use any of those cloud things for anything.

If it's bad enough already with all of the personal data that just Google have about all of us by now, I can't image how much more data they can get from us if one of this days they decide to buy Apple, FB,T, and other social networks out there... (They got the money and greed already, so it's just a matter of time.)

No wonder I hate that phone commercial that says: "Share Everything"

I wonder if they are willing to share their wife...

8. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Your friends are asking about it because Apple and Android phones are storing their data on the phone service's "cloud".
    I was taking a video at a concert on my iPhone and couldn't zoom so looked at the settings, there I noticed the ability to activate iCloud storage. I didn't activate for two reasons, one being security and the other that I figured I would be paying someone a subscription. I don't mind a subscription but not for something I can do for myself.

I expect Microsoft to move Office to the cloud for collaboration. I have a hard time believing something running across public networks can be secure for long.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    ... I expect Microsoft to move Office to the cloud for collaboration.
    I think they already have, haven't they? Isn't Office 365 something to do with cloud computing/cloud storage, or something? (I'm a bit cloudy on all that. )

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    What a poorly written article...
    Oh, good. I was afraid it was just me.

It seems to me that the reporter wanted to be all things to all people and actually had TWO stories here jammed together:

1. A report on the play or performance art or whatever it was, and,
    2. Wozniak's opinions and comments on cloud computing.

Shouldn't have tried to combine all of both stories into one grab bag like that.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Yep. That's what I noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy View Post
    It seems to me that the reporter wanted to be all things to all people and actually had TWO stories here jammed together
    Sort of like the crap autoposts, huh?

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/seo-a...ne-158495.html

13. Thanks From:

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread