Newbie Question on DataFeeds
    This is one of the most advanced forum I've been in. Cool stuffs.
    I'm new to Datafeeds, XML, PHP and MySQL however, I've designed my site with HTML and CSS - hand-coded. Now I'm moving to Wordpress because I think CMS would be a better use of my time.

Along with the move, I'm planning to get serious with my affiliate programs. I've been using Popshop, Shopzilla, CJ and GANs on my site simply by grabbing the codes.

But what I really want is a system that can allow me create SEVERAL PRODUCT PAGES from Merchants' feeds. Each product will have its name and own page which I can optimize individually for SEO purposes.

I want to design something like

My question is, for what I want to do, what do I need to learn? For those who are doing it, what would be your advice for me?

Thanks so much.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Park City Utah
    Moved to the datafeed forum as you may get an answer quicker.

You could build the feed and pages with a variety of different programming/database combinations. PHP/MySQL is a good way to go. You can also use RubyOnRails with MySQL or Postgres.

You are going to have to build a feed parser. This will parse the incoming XML and dump it into your database. Once you have the data neatly in your database you can create the product pages and pull the product data from the database.

Each affiliate company has there feed structured differently with makes things a bit more difficult. So you will have to parse the CJ Feed differently then the GAN feed.

Hope that helps. And good luck with your programming. It's a great skill to know.

Minnesota, USA
    Surveillance, I also work in WordPress, and I was looking for the same information as you.

I looked at several product feed programs (including Datafeedr), and most of them had decent reviews. You'll have the option of paying a fee to use the service (usually a sliding fee, depending on how many separate "stores" and domains you want) or 4th-click - meaning the service is free, but their affiliate code replaces yours (i.e. they get credit for the sale) every 4th click.

I've signed up with several affiliates, and I wanted the option of showing similar products from several merchants in the same store. (I have a gift site, so have lots of products and lots of categories.) In the end, I went with Sell Fire. I set up my first store this morning, and it went quickly, was easy to use, and for $9.99/month I can have an unlimited number of stores. The first month is free, in case I change my mind. (And no, I don't work for them or get any sort of kick-back.)

Hopefully this helps. Please let me know if I can answer any questions. I'm far from an expert, but I can share what I know.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread