Hosting advice
    Hi all,

My hosting crashed.
    After more than 48 Hours trying to understand what happened and endless mails to IT I got the following response:

"
    Hello,

We do apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. The hard drive of the node on which your VPS was hosted has crashed. So unfortunately it is not possible to recover your data. We are extremely sorry for this.

But, we can create a new Cloud VPS for you, we are providing Cloud-servers which are much better comparatively.

Cloud servers have enterprise-class resilience, with multi-layered security, a self-healing architecture and automatic hypervisor failover which can “self heal” – i.e. fail over to spare hardware, whereas Virtuozzo cannot. This makes cloud more reliable. Also the uptime is more in comparison to Virtuozzo.

Also we will provide you a one month free hosting as compensation. Please let us know if you would like us to proceed with this.

Your response is awaited on this.

Thank you,

Patrick
    Senior Support Engineer
    "

I would like to stress out the plan I am in is NOT CHEAP and I paid for 24/7 support (which didn't came in action apparently) and for hosting services themselves $35/Month.

Moreover , all my mail is defunct as the mail enabler resides on the server (MaiEnable) and since the HDD crashed - Nothing is active in there.

One active fully operational site is down....

What would you do if you were in my shoes ?

Dan

Who is your host?

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Vpsland

Get a reseller hosting plan at HostGator and put all of your sites on it.

http://www.hostgator.com/resellers

That's what I do.

Hi BurgerBoy,

Have you worked with WHM hosting or only CPanel?
    Do you have any other advice for VPS hosting ?
    I am afraid shared might not work for me .

Thanks

Dan

I have not used VPS hosting. Reseller hosting always worked fine for me.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    About 10 years ago I ran a VPS with Verio. It was meant for a max of 60 sites but we ran 350. Even though they were portfolio sites (6-10 HTML pages) it was always running slow. A VPS gives you great flexibility in site management and root access which you don't have with a shared hosting plan.

Burgerboy what do you see as a difference between a reseller account and VPS?

Reseller probably running on much better Hardware
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    SNIP-
    Burgerboy what do you see as a difference between a reseller account and VPS?
    I'm not Burgerboy, but will give you a couple of examples. The Hardware a Reseller or a Shared Hosting account is running on, at a top notch provider such as HostGator (I use OLM.NET) is probably far more powerful than what the OP was paying for, at vpsland, for his VPS. So, his web sites will probably run faster on a Reseller at a good provider.

A good provider will have multiple hard drives installed on their servers, with RAID for redundancy. If one drive fails, the server hopefully will be able to continue operating, while the bad drive is replaced. ("Hot Swap")

However, the bottom line here is that multiple hard drive failures do occur and sometimes the provider does not have a backup, or, a recent backup, and the provider cannot restore users data.

It is *always* the responsibility of the users to have their own, recent, off site backups, in case there is a disaster on the server they use, or, a disaster in the DC where the server they use is located.

9. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Well said Lanny. While working for a dot bomb back in 2000 we had a RAID server that blew the OS hard drive. That's how I learned about hot swap drives because it wasn't. They had to take it down and replace the drive putting us out of service for two hours.

11. Thanks From:

Time to restore broken server
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Well said Lanny. While working for a dot bomb back in 2000 we had a RAID server that blew the OS hard drive. That's how I learned about hot swap drives because it wasn't. They had to take it down and replace the drive putting us out of service for two hours.
    Thank you Chuck. It can take a lot longer, to rebuild a RAID array. Especially with the huge hard drives available now. (1TB, etc.).

When I look at the OLM Forum, it is very rare to see that a server was down, but, if there has been a total disaster on a server, it can take 4 to 8 hours to get things up and running properly. And their Sys Admins know what they are doing! It would probably take me 4 to 8 days...... I think in the past 11 (?) years I have been an OLM.NET customer, the servers my web sites are on have been down like that maybe 3 times. Once, the server was damaged because the UPS went bad.....

For me, the DC a server is in is also very important. OLM owns and operates their own DCs. When a Hurricane went into their area last year, they had been running on emergency power, for about 17 hours, when I made a $17.50 commission. And, part of the A/C system had been damaged and they were using more fuel than they normally would.

13. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanny View Post
    It is *always* the responsibility of the users to have their own, recent, off site backups, in case there is a disaster on the server they use, or, a disaster in the DC where the server they use is located.
    This!

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanny View Post
    Thank you Chuck. It can take a lot longer, to rebuild a RAID array. Especially with the huge hard drives available now. (1TB, etc.).

When I look at the OLM Forum, it is very rare to see that a server was down, but, if there has been a total disaster on a server, it can take 4 to 8 hours to get things up and running properly. And their Sys Admins know what they are doing! It would probably take me 4 to 8 days...... I think in the past 11 (?) years I have been an OLM.NET customer, the servers my web sites are on have been down like that maybe 3 times. Once, the server was damaged because the UPS went bad.....

For me, the DC a server is in is also very important. OLM owns and operates their own DCs. When a Hurricane went into their area last year, they had been running on emergency power, for about 17 hours, when I made a $17.50 commission. And, part of the A/C system had been damaged and they were using more fuel than they normally would.
    We run quite a number of VPS carriers (the physical server that will carry 10-50/60 VPS nodes, depending on config).

We run 4 or 8 hot swap drives per carrier. This means we get good IO and a good level of redundancy in that we can lose a number of drives with no outage.

RAID cache/BBU is also important. You don't want a server crash/power outage to corrupt an entire array.

I have used 3 Companies and i really like their service and i think you can't go wrong with either one of them

1. Host Gator
    2. KVC Hosting
    3. SiteGround

17. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread