Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,238
    Question Wordpress or Homegrown?
    I haven't created a new site in a couple of years now. I suspect things have changed in that time, if nothing more than with how google treats affiliate websites.

    I am looking to start a new site with the idea of long term monetizing of at most 4 products and I wonder if WP is still a good option as it was 2 years ago. I don't mind creating a site from scratch IF homegrown is better than just loading up a standard WP theme.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2009
    Posts
    40
    I'm a newbie, so my opinion may not be 100% correct. I would say homegrown is best. I like the freedom of being able to design/change/tweak my own site, but it might be that this is the case with WP. I do, however, love some of the WP plugins!

    The main reason I don't use WP, is because I have always been lead to believe that WP does not alllow affiliate marketing.

  3. #3
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel64 View Post
    The main reason I don't use WP, is because I have always been lead to believe that WP does not alllow affiliate marketing.
    You can use WP for affiliate marketing if you put the wordpress on your own domain w/ your own hosting.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  4. #4
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    @Uncle Rico some people like homegrown because homegrown isn't as easy to hack.

    You can check out an interesting statement by teezone here:
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/1096268-post2.html

    You could use a mix: use a "homegrown" for a catalog of products and WP for a blog that highlights your products
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  5. #5
    Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,238
    Right now I am leaning towards homegrown. Even though Wordpress is super quick, I actually get some enjoyment on building a site. The main area I struggle is with the logo.

  6. #6
    Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    1,305
    You can still put whatever look and feel you want on a WordPress site, and they can be secured. I like WordPress as a CMS - makes things easier to update moving forward and offers up a bunch of features in the form of plugins that you'd otherwise have to spend time coding. Then you can spend your time on content generation as opposed to coding the site.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

  7. Thanks From:

  8. #7
    ABW Ambassador daiarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 4th, 2011
    Location
    Beautiful Wales
    Posts
    602
    To all you fledgling marketeers who like me don't know your php from xyz and only know that java is an Indonesian island, GO WP. I knew absolutely nix just a few years back but learned the ins and outs if WP quite quickly and now have a few decent sites set up.

    + the plugins are great, and free.
    0 to $1m before I am 70, Ok maybe 71 !!! (April 2013)
    You Can Eat Our Noodles Without Gaining A Pound
    What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare.

  9. #8
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2005
    Posts
    2,064
    I like wordpress but I worry and too many people are also using it these days and that can't be good for seo.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

  10. #9
    Beachy Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2005
    Posts
    8,266
    Quote Originally Posted by glittered View Post
    I like wordpress but I worry and too many people are also using it these days and that can't be good for seo.
    Why not?
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

  11. #10
    ABW Ambassador writerguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    3,248
    Bill beat me to that question. Putting it another way -- just because many people are using WP, why is that bad for SEO?

    Maybe I just don't get it.

    Gary
    Generate more fake news.

  12. #11
    Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,238
    I wouldn't mind using WP, but the theme would have to match what I think the site should look like. And I guess that is my problem. I am not sure which way I should go.

    I have a small handful of products that I have used and believe in, but I don't know how to translate that into a successful website. Just not sure a WP theme is the way to go. Maybe this is why I have never been successful with AM in the past.

    I fear I am going down the same dead end road. I get excited and buy a domain name. Have no idea what to do so I just do the same old crap I usually do in the spirit of doing something. The site never takes off and I end up letting the domain expire.

    Maybe I should just skip all the middle stuff and just let this domain expire in 360 days.

  13. #12
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Get a minimal theme -- such a theme will highlight your products
    without distracting details in the design.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2012
    Posts
    23
    Since you have a killer domain name I would link that to a wordpress site and get things up and running as quick as you can. Get a theme that you think fits your product and go to town writing quality content.

    Just start doing something. Just start writing about the products you believe in. Force yourself write or post something on the site. Perhaps after a while of doing that you will find out what works or what you enjoy. If things are not working out then you don't have much to lose.

    Good luck!

  15. Thanks From:

  16. #14
    ABW Ambassador kaizen's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    666
    Why not purchase a premium theme like Thesis? It can be made to look how you like, has no malicious code embedded and will always be updated to keep up with WordPress.

    I would be careful, however, if you go with WordPress and a free theme.
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

  17. #15
    Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    1,305
    Quote Originally Posted by glittered View Post
    I like wordpress but I worry and too many people are also using it these days and that can't be good for seo.

    This makes no sense... WordPress is a platform... it's not some sort of a black hat tool. It's simply a tool set that you can use to manage your content.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

  18. #16
    Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    1,305
    Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    Why not purchase a premium theme like Thesis? It can be made to look how you like, has no malicious code embedded and will always be updated to keep up with WordPress.

    I would be careful, however, if you go with WordPress and a free theme.
    If you can code, there's no reason why you can't make your WordPress powered page look anyway you want. With a little logo design work and some CSS tweaks you can have a site that looks professional and does what you want.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

  19. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2012
    Posts
    23
    There are a lot of good free WordPress themes. There is nothing wrong with using a free theme. In fact that's normally the route I go. Don't let someone scare you into thinking you need to purchase a premium theme. Premium themes usually have a better design, but that's about it.

    AffiliateWarrior makes a lot of good points. I agree with what he says on this one.

  20. #18
    ABW Ambassador writerguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    3,248
    The default WP themes -- Twenty Eleven and Twenty Ten, I believe they are -- honestly give you everything you need to make a nice and profitable affiliate site. Honestly.

    I've spent time and money on complicated "premium" themes, and I've spent tons of time playing around with MILLIONS (okay, maybe not millions!) of free themes. And without exception, I've found it a waste of time and money (especially Thesis).

    The Twenty Eleven theme gives you flexible layouts and the ability to change the header image. Combine that with a few useful plugins and you've honestly got everything you need to make an excellent affiliate marketing site.

    (Bill -- I believe you're ceiling tiles site made with Twenty Eleven was what convinced me of this. Excellent adaptation work.)

    Gary
    Generate more fake news.

  21. #19
    Beachy Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2005
    Posts
    8,266
    Thank you for the compliment, Gary. Yes, I believe in the KISS approach for some sites, especially those featuring a fairly concentrated niche set of products. Write some good content, share some ideaas, include some good images and use a basic (supported by Wordpress) theme. YOU should worry about the creativity (content) and let the folks at Wordpress worry about creating a simple, but effective design.

    Here's another sample (if ya care to compare) - www-AluminumBacksplashTiles-dot-com- which uses the Twenty-Ten WP and the Askimet plugin and NOTHING ELSE. It gets a few hundred unique visitors every month and generates a few sales. It was NOT hurt by the Google birds (Panda/Penguin) and in fact does a little better now than before the Penguin started dropping the hammer on thin affiliate sites.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

  22. #20
    ABW Ambassador kaizen's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    666
    Quote Originally Posted by theMark View Post
    There are a lot of good free WordPress themes. There is nothing wrong with using a free theme. In fact that's normally the route I go. Don't let someone scare you into thinking you need to purchase a premium theme. Premium themes usually have a better design, but that's about it.

    AffiliateWarrior makes a lot of good points. I agree with what he says on this one.
    Yes there are a lot of good and free WordPress themes out there, however you should read this before selecting one on looks alone.
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

  23. Thanks From:

  24. #21
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2005
    Posts
    2,064
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy View Post
    Bill beat me to that question. Putting it another way -- just because many people are using WP, why is that bad for SEO?

    Maybe I just don't get it.

    Gary
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateWarrior View Post
    This makes no sense... WordPress is a platform... it's not some sort of a black hat tool. It's simply a tool set that you can use to manage your content.
    Well as I said I worry, it does not mean I don't use WP. Worry is not the same as been totally sure.. anyway I would suggest going over to forums like "Warrior" (since we are talking about "worry") and looking back at all the ways people were spinning out WP sites by the hundreds starting from 5 years ago and throwing up clickbank products for a quick buck,.. these things have been going on for years and I would guess Google will very carefully scrutinize any wordpress site these days. yes if you are good at SEO or have the time to be a Google expert then you might get around this. If you have an old website built on wordpress then I would say you have little to worry about but if you are starting up a new wp website then your going to need to do a lot of work, put a lot of good content up and much more for google to consider it as not a '"potential" spam site,put affiliate links up and you just dug your own grave!. Maybe try searching for things like "google does not like wordpress" and research a little
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

  25. Thanks From:

  26. #22
    ABW Ambassador daiarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 4th, 2011
    Location
    Beautiful Wales
    Posts
    602
    Quote Originally Posted by glittered View Post
    Well as I said I worry, it does not mean I don't use WP. Worry is not the same as been totally sure.. anyway I would suggest going over to forums like "Warrior" (since we are talking about "worry") and looking back at all the ways people were spinning out WP sites by the hundreds starting from 5 years ago and throwing up clickbank products for a quick buck,.. these things have been going on for years and I would guess Google will very carefully scrutinize any wordpress site these days. yes if you are good at SEO or have the time to be a Google expert then you might get around this. If you have an old website built on wordpress then I would say you have little to worry about but if you are starting up a new wp website then your going to need to do a lot of work, put a lot of good content up and much more for google to consider it as not a '"potential" spam site,put affiliate links up and you just dug your own grave!. Maybe try searching for things like "google does not like wordpress" and research a little
    Read the article suggested by Kaizen, above. The most significant point for me was that only WP.org recommended themes should be considered. I use Flexibility which I find to be excellent for my requirements
    0 to $1m before I am 70, Ok maybe 71 !!! (April 2013)
    You Can Eat Our Noodles Without Gaining A Pound
    What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare.

  27. #23
    ABW Veteran Mr. Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
    I haven't created a new site in a couple of years now. I suspect things have changed in that time, if nothing more than with how google treats affiliate websites.

    I am looking to start a new site with the idea of long term monetizing of at most 4 products and I wonder if WP is still a good option as it was 2 years ago. I don't mind creating a site from scratch IF homegrown is better than just loading up a standard WP theme.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
    I have no problem doing coding in any language... Source: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/1130519-post1.html
    You're an ABW veteran, so I know that you know how I got here...

    If I had knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have wasted about five years in time and money, using some third party scripts in order to make some extra money while I learned PHP and MySQL, and then get hit with the Florida algo crap from G. (on 2005) when I thought everything was getting along just fine...

    You say that you have no problem doing coding in any language, so I think that you should have the knowledge to build your own unique money making sites from Homegrown coding first, and then do some other sites with WP or any other third party scripts on the side, that way you can avoid the hassle of having to keep an extra eye on the hacking and updating that may go on with many third party scripts...

    There is nothing wrong with using some third party scripts, but I have learned that there is nothing better than avoid the middle man when it comes to the long term monetizing of your own websites...

    If you need an example of why I say that: I used to live and die by using WM after I learned how to use the program, and while it still good third party program to make websites out datafeeds, I don't even remember the last time I tried to update one of the sites I made with WM, not because it's not possible, but because it's not worth the time and effort to do that in these SE's new rules thing...

  28. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Is this possible with wordpress?
    By getrollins in forum Blogging, Mobile and Social Media
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: May 8th, 2011, 05:08 AM
  2. WordPress 2.9 is now available
    By Trust in forum Blogging, Mobile and Social Media
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: December 20th, 2009, 12:45 PM
  3. WordPress v2.6 Available
    By Uncle Rico in forum Blogging, Mobile and Social Media
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: July 18th, 2008, 01:27 PM
  4. Wordpress
    By NikM in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: July 15th, 2008, 12:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •