Google Search Results Getting Worse?
    We all know that Panda and Penguins have been let loose by Google in an attempt to get rid of the spammy sites, and no doubt other very noble reasons.

However! Is anyone else finding that some of the search results are rather irritating? I searched for something non-affiliate related (chick lit UK) and the first 19 returns were from one website, the following 23 were from Amazon. Now for the website holding positions 1- 19 that's great, but from a user's (my) perspective it's rather limiting/frustrating. So much so, I went off to Bing to search and got a much more useful set of results. I've noticed this for quite a few searches recently - ranging from penstemons to Le Creuset. Do we know if this is temporary? Could it be that google is losing it's touch and grasp of what users want?

This post might be in the wrong place, so apologies if that's the case :-)

Oh yeah, I used to frequent this one message board but since the updates I've had a hard time finding it again, it's like it dropped off the face of the Earth. Mostly A.) because I have a hard time remembering names and B.) because of Google. It's your fault Google.

Other people have reported that instead of going away, the spammy sites have risen to the top. It's like having those grimey coffee grounds that sink to the bottom of your coffee rise to the top and spoil a recently made and very delicious Mocha Mambo Italiano.

Bing is well, Bing. Not really good at finding things that I can instantly find with Google. Personally I feed bad that I am so reliant on Google like a parasite. :|= To remedy this I have taken my favorite bookmarks in case they are deleted for free in a free browser update and paste them in lists form in txt or rtf files.

Google does not care what the user wants for it does not need the user anymore to survive. It's already like a drug, people have developed a habit for Google. Now all they have to do now is shut down any alternatives to Google through any means nescessary to keep them as the top dog.

Can you imagine if G offered SERPS like this in 2002? Would they have grown to be #1?

Anyway, I don't think the "organic" results mean as much these days. There's probably a google ad somewhere that will get you where you want to go.

ABW Ambassador
    besides all the usual annoying google issues, I find I really hate using the google search engine these days and I think that is a good thing as I hope many people have similar experience to me and eventually move away from one of the most powerful, money hungry, selfish, self serving companies in the world.

lately when I use google I find the page so slow to use and it often crashes in IE with all their buggy javascript and cookies and spyware they have built into their website. I'm now using bing 90% of the time and I can say its so much better and I still get the top results as I should.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

5. Thanks From:

I still think Google does a good job of finding things. I also really like the search tools they offer. However, I've started using the search engine DuckDuckGo.com for about half my searches. What I really like about DuckDuckGo is that they don't track any of your search history. They use the Bing search index and modify the results slightly differently. It's also not littered with ads like Bing and Google. It's definitely worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by theMark View Post
    I still think Google does a good job of finding things.
    I agree, as long as they find someting they can use...

Google does a good job of finding things!

8. Thanks From:

Google still does a good job of being used by the majority of consumers. To be honest, I don't think i really know anyone who uses anything besides google. So its still best to optimize for google over bing or the other search engines, in my opinion.

I don't even know how one would optimize for Bing.

You're right, it makes sense right now to optimize for Google since that's what everyone uses. However, the best optimization strategy seems to be providing quality content that is useful to the people and provides value. Google loves value!

Don't "optimize" for Google OR for Bing. Create pages of useful information for your end users - your readers. That what pays off in the long run.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

12. Thanks From:

Even though this post is old, I'm still having the same problem with Google. Bing needs to advertise more to convince users to break the Google habit.

14. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsing59 View Post
    Bing needs to advertise more to convince users to break the Google habit.
    Bing needs to value webmasters more. Right now they do not, therefore webmasters don't bother and concentrate more on the Google.

The buzz comes from within, starting with webmasters. Get them excited and they'll convince others to "Bing it on"...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Bing is stupidly still trying to crawl a URL that hasn't existed since July 2012.

They need to get it together - and now would be the perfect time. I've had friends & family tell me how poor Google has become for searches.

Google and Bing are not the only search engine options. Try:

duckduckgo.com

ixquick.com
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    Bing is stupidly still trying to crawl a URL that hasn't existed since July 2012.

They need to get it together - and now would be the perfect time. I've had friends & family tell me how poor Google has become for searches.
    2012 aint that old, how about stuff from 2009,2010,2011?

They both (G. and B. ), keep looking for pages and directories that I have deleted long time ago.

And as far as Bing being somehow stupid, I believe they have become lazy in using their own propitiatory algos and (like I have read somewhere else) they have been using G. results to compile their B. results...

19. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    Google and Bing are not the only search engine options. Try:

duckduckgo.com

ixquick.com
    Get much traffic from them?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I don't get traffic from them, but as a user I use duckduckgo.com , better results than Google and good privacy

22. Thanks From:

I think that I will give duckduckgo.com a try, since Bing seems to be a work in progress.

24. Thanks From:

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I guess the results are the same as with Bing, but does anyone use Yahoo anymore? It's still my home page and I use it frequently, mostly for local search.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    I guess the results are the same as with Bing, but does anyone use Yahoo anymore? It's still my home page and I use it frequently, mostly for local search.
    Yes, people still use Yahoo - or as some folks (collectively) call them, BingHoo.
    Here is a sample I just pulled from one of our beach sites:
    - Google 13,989
    - Microsoft Bing 2,918
    - Yahoo! 2,313
    - Unknown search engines 569
    - AOL 330
    - Ask 205
    - MyWebSearch 110
    - Yandex 65
    - WebCrawler 43
    - Dogpile 24
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I use duckduckgo and google.

I love that duckduckgo uses favicons in the search.

28. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread