Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. #1
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Question Will Google favor its own travel services in search?
    Google recently acquired travel software company ITA and Frommerís.
    Will Google play favorites in search results?
    How will this affect affiliates in travel niches?

    Google Buys Frommer
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  2. #2
    ABW Veteran Mr. Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    Google recently acquired travel software company ITA and Frommerís.
    Will Google play favorites in search results?
    Does a bear shit in the woods?

    The answer is:

    Both questions have the same answer!



  3. #3
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2005
    Posts
    2,064
    Would you give the better meal to your loved one or a stanger?
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

  4. #4
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Okay wiseguys, go ahead and make fun of me - you know you want to

    The fact of the matter is that many affiliates still have niches in travel.

    So what do the affiliates with niches in travel do now? Give up?

    The Google conglomerate in travel is now an obstacle for affiliates with travel niches. So what would be good practices for these affiliates to overcome the obstacles created by recent travel related acquisitions by Google?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  5. #5
    ...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2005
    Posts
    6,918
    Trying not to be cynical here, but many affiliates are going to find themselves out of many niches that the Google is competing in - if not out of affiliate marketing altogether.

    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/midni...ts-148851.html
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/midni...er-148879.html

    Basically, to compete you will have to have a very targeted niche travel related site - until that, too, is killed off...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

  6. #6
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Are you saying that Affiliate Marketing in the niches Google excels in will
    be "killed off?" What about Affiliate Marketing in general?

    What about "excellent content?" Can there be any strategy related to that?
    Recently I keep on reading the phrase "excellent content" ...
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  7. #7
    ...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2005
    Posts
    6,918
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    Are you saying that Affiliate Marketing in the niches Google excels in will
    be "killed off?" What about Affiliate Marketing in general?
    Yes. and, Yes. - On the Google owned properties.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    What about "excellent content?" Can there be any strategy related to that?
    Recently I keep on reading the phrase "excellent content" ...
    Frequent/fresh/relevant to the moment content sprinkled with minimal advertising - until the Google has no need for your content to trigger their results...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

  8. #8
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    So will affiliates drop down dead in front of a Google monopoly?

    What about Google's competitors such as Bing and DuckDuckGo? Even Twitter is becoming a rival in search.

    Once upon a time people used to flock to Yahoo! for search -- there was a time when a webmaster had to pay for inclusion.
    Remember when altavista was a top engine?

    A Microsoft Cloud engineer is a Facebook friend of mine and he writes
    the funniest Google jokes.

    Is there any chance that Google's fate could be similar to Ozymandias?
    ďMy name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!Ē
    Poem: Ozymandias
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  9. #9
    ...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2005
    Posts
    6,918
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    So will affiliates drop down dead in front of a Google monopoly?
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    What about Google's competitors such as Bing and DuckDuckGo? Even Twitter is becoming a rival in search.
    How's your traffic from those sites doing for you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    Once upon a time people used to flock to Yahoo! for search -- there was a time when a webmaster had to pay for inclusion.
    Remember when altavista was a top engine?
    Yes. Yahoo! charged for inclusion. Didn't work well for them as webmasters stopped supporting them and a better mousetrap came around.

    Yes. Altavista was king, until a better mousetrap came around.

    Need a better mousetrap...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

  10. #10
    ABW Veteran Mr. Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    So will affiliates drop down dead in front of a Google monopoly? Remember when altavista was a top engine?
    Only those affiliates that can't live without G. and those that when G. says (jump), are the first to ask (how high?)

    There was life before G. and there will be life without G.

    But, those that think that they can't make it in this business without G., better close shop now, and avoid all the strees and suffering they will see in their Q4 earnings...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    Remember when altavista was a top engine?
    Yes!

    And since nothing last forever, it may not be too long before the question is:

    Remember when G. went hasta-lavista too?

  11. Thanks From:

  12. #11
    Beachy Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2005
    Posts
    8,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    ...The fact of the matter is that many affiliates still have niches in travel...
    Raises hand! (Travel has been our primary revenue avenue since March, 2000, when I sold my first online hotel reservation.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    ...So what do the affiliates with niches in travel do now? Give up?...
    Give up? Not at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    ...The Google conglomerate in travel is now an obstacle for affiliates with travel niches...
    I don't see the Goog in travel being an obstacle - just additional competition. But then, the algo changes have displaced some of our other competition.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    ...So what would be good practices for these affiliates to overcome the obstacles created by recent travel related acquisitions by Google?
    For us it will be to keep doing what we have been doing - make extensive use of the long-tail [in search] for travel in our areas of focus. (Other than that I can't get too specific here.)

    On another note - one of our niche sites for a large [city] market has been receiving just under 50% of its traffic from sources other than the Big Goog - for well over a year now. The Goog is NOT the be-all-end-all of affiliate marketing. Is it important? Absolutely. It it the Holy Grail? No.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

  13. Thanks From:

  14. #12
    Moderator bibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,315
    I've never trusted the Goog when it comes to search. It's tells everyoent hat they have the best search and that it's fair. I don't believe that.

    Until Goog is faced with having to care what we think (Loss of market share), they will do what they want to do. Why shouldn't they, if they have no worries about being replaced or that their customers will try other services.

  15. #13
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    So Bibby,

    If you don't trust "the Goog" when it comes to search, who/what/whom do you trust?

    Do you search multiple ways? Are social recommendations becoming more important? Do you see other engines gaining?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  16. #14
    Moderator bibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,315
    To be honest I use Goog. I also use Bing. When I say trust. I mean I don;t doubt that Goog would favor its own brands. If no one else seems to care,why should they?

  17. #15
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Quote Originally Posted by bibby View Post
    To be honest I use Goog. I also use Bing. When I say trust. I mean I don;t doubt that Goog would favor its own brands. If no one else seems to care,why should they?
    You have a good point.
    Maybe no one else seems to care, but there is a satisfaction point and
    I think other people are becoming dissatisfied and looking for other alternatives
    to search - especially since the Goog tracks queries.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  18. #16
    Moderator bibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,315
    I believe that if people believe that there is a better option than Google, they will flock to that service. The problem facing competitors of Google is that their is a perception that Google is the best. Judging by its overwhelming market share, it's hard for competitors to make any significant breakthroughs.

    I hope that competitors do emerge. No one stays at the top forever!

  19. Thanks From:

  20. #17
    ...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2005
    Posts
    6,918
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    You have a good point.
    Maybe no one else seems to care, but there is a satisfaction point and
    I think other people are becoming dissatisfied and looking for other alternatives
    to search - especially since the Goog tracks queries.
    You are giving the human race FAR too much credit. Morons download app after app to their precious cell phones. Each app tracks more than just queries - and the morons don't have a clue and wouldn't give a damn if they knew. Seriously, the Google is far off their radar of daily concerns...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

  21. Thanks From:

  22. #18
    Beachy Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2005
    Posts
    8,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    You are giving the human race FAR too much credit. Morons download app after app to their precious cell phones. Each app tracks more than just queries - and the morons don't have a clue and wouldn't give a damn if they knew. Seriously, the Google is far off their radar of daily concerns...
    This is true even among many [the vast majority of?] tech-savvy people who are not involved in affiliate marketing. I would venture to bet that even the majority of affiliate marketers are not aware of these kinds of things.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

  23. Thanks From:

  24. #19
    ...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2005
    Posts
    6,918
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    This is true even among many [the vast majority of?] tech-savvy people who are not involved in affiliate marketing. I would venture to bet that even the majority of affiliate marketers are not aware of these kinds of things.
    LOL - I was talking about the ENTIRE human race

    People REALLY should read Terms of Services - everywhere. They should read what they are giving the app permission to do, like identify people on their contact list, where they are at any given moment, reading each text, reading each email, STORING THAT INFORMATION ON A CLOUD OUT OF THEIR CONTROL...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

  25. Thanks From:

  26. #20
    ...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2005
    Posts
    6,918
    Hell, for that matter they would crap their pants on the data I collect off their visits...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

  27. #21
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2005
    Posts
    2,064
    As I wrote elsewhere, forget google, it's piece of Shite, keeps crashing my browser, I use Bing now and I'm glad they have become so big and powerful that they have overlooked what made them big in the first place "simplicity & functionality" now google is a buggy piece of crap and I'm happy about that ... bring on the next gen of search, goodbye google!
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

  28. Thanks From:

  29. #22
    ABW Veteran Mr. Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Morons download app after app to their precious cell phones. Each app tracks more than just queries - and the morons don't have a clue and wouldn't give a damn if they knew.
    One of the reasons the other day I switched to bing when searching the web, bing may still track what people search, but so far bing don't force people to Turn of their ActiveX Filtering, in order see the search results...

    Who knows what extra crap people get installed on their computer when surfing the net with their ActiveX Filtering off...
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    People REALLY should read Terms of Services - everywhere. They should read what they are giving the app permission to do, like identify people on their contact list, where they are at any given moment, reading each text, reading each email, STORING THAT INFORMATION ON A CLOUD OUT OF THEIR CONTROL...
    If sometime it's hard for those of us that have become accustomed to read merchants and networks TOS (Because we are in this business.), to read every single one of them, I can see how simple regular people may just give away everything in a single click...

  30. Thanks From:

  31. #23
    Moderator
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2007
    Location
    Neenah, WI
    Posts
    682
    What if FB integrated Bing Search with a seamless experience? More people visit FB than the google. Would sheeple eventually regard Bing as an authority?

    Goog is definitely increasing their strangle hold on AM. Have no doubt, they've already classified YOU as an AM and any site connected to your name will have the AM tag attached to it. The most engaging valuable fresh quality content in the world won't remove your AM tag. Feels like every algorithm update tightens that hangman's knot a little more.

  32. Thanks From:

  33. #24
    ABW Veteran Mr. Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,795
    Quote Originally Posted by calebtheredwood View Post
    What if FB integrated Bing Search with a seamless experience? More people visit FB than the google. Would sheeple eventually regard Bing as an authority?

    Goog is definitely increasing their strangle hold on AM. Have no doubt, they've already classified YOU as an AM and any site connected to your name will have the AM tag attached to it. The most engaging valuable fresh quality content in the world won't remove your AM tag. Feels like every algorithm update tightens that hangman's knot a little more.
    You're not too far in your "What if",

    Just check this out... http://www.abestweb.com/forums/1130564-post1.html


  34. #25
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    I started this thread in reaction to reading an article about Google's acquisition of Frommer's as I wondered how an affiliate could still succeed in the travel niche or any niche. Bill made an interesting point with Long Tail search. I wrote this post last night but couldn't post it because of an everlasting connection time-out on the part of ABW.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    - make extensive use of the long-tail [in search] for ... areas of focus.
    That's a fantastic tip, Bill

    I used to be confused about the Long Tail.
    I used to think: gee, is that 3 keywords instead on one? LOL

    Wikipedia has great explanations for the definition & application of Long Tail
    Long Tail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Quotations cited in this post are from the Wikipedia article.

    I particularly like this broad definition which can be applied to affiliate sites:
    The distribution and inventory costs of businesses successfully applying this strategy allow them to realize significant profit out of selling small volumes of hard-to-find items to many customers instead of only selling large volumes of a reduced number of popular items. The total sales of this large number of "non-hit items" is called "the long tail".
    This book might be worth an inter-library loan:
    The Long Tail: Why the Future of Business is Selling Less of More (2006)
    Anderson argues that products in low demand or that have a low sales volume can collectively make up a market share that rivals or exceeds the relatively few current bestsellers and blockbusters, if the store or distribution channel is large enough. Anderson cites earlier research by Erik Brynjolfsson, Yu (Jeffrey) Hu, and Michael D. Smith, that showed that a significant portion of Amazon.com's sales come from obscure books that are not available in brick-and-mortar stores.
    Interesting to note a competitive impact on broad sites/search sites vs. niche sites:
    Before a long tail works, only the most popular products are generally offered. When the cost of inventory storage and distribution fall, a wide range of products become available. This can, in turn, have the effect of reducing demand for the most popular products. For example, Web content businesses with broad coverage, such as Yahoo! or CNET, may be threatened by the rise of smaller Web sites that focus on niches of content, and cover that content better than the larger sites.
    So I think the lesson is to keep up with the content and also delve into topics in such a way that they are not necessarily covered elsewhere.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: August 7th, 2007, 11:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •