Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Default vs Custom Product Descriptions (datafeeds)
    So I am redesigning an old website. The new design will use some products dynamically pulled from my database using a few merchant datafeeds.

Obviously each item in the feed contains a default description. I assume it would be a good idea to come up with my own descriptions for each item rather than using the default description 1000's of other affiliate sites are using?

Since I am a programming guy, I sure would be nice to take the default description pass it through an API, which will change some of the words. I guess the big issue there would the converted text still make sense after changing some of the words.

The default descriptions will be used by tons of other affiliates
    and won't really add value to your page.

I am not sure about the term API [what is it?] but I wouldn't run descriptions
    through an automatic thesaurus without examining the results individually.
    Think about online translators: they're okay but still yield funny results and chuckles from the people of the native language you are trying to reach.

So another suggestion?
    If you are pulling some products [don't pull too many] that are similar to each other you could write an overall page description or something attention-getting on that page that would relate to all the products and catch the attention of the viewer/consumer. The customer's attention would be drawn to the product links you have and that person could look up the default descriptions.

As an example: let's say you want to sell waffle makers - many of those models are similar anyway. It's best to limit the amount of products per page to avoid distraction. Let's say you show 3 -5 small product pics of waffle makers [those items are usually quite similar] they each have subtle differences but it's better to show them in small groups than focus on one individual -- except if there is an exceptional one then maybe you should also create a focus page for just that one item.

On a general page of a few I could write: I Love Waffles. Do you love waffles? I Love Blueberry Waffles and here's [a link to] Grandma's recipe.

You caught their attention, it doesn't matter if you are using default descriptions.

Write something attention-grabbing that would apply to the small group on your page and then you don't have to worry as much about each individual description.
    Last edited by Rhia7; August 29th, 2012 at 02:14 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

3. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread