Ongoing struggle with all sites (on the same server)
    I've documented struggles with my site since January...

It started with navigation links that spawned infinite URLs that took a couple of months to fix properly (not a programmer myself). Then it took another couple of months for G to stop crawling & indexing the bad URLs. Unfortunately I tripped up again - not as major, but it continued to slow the recovery.

I've noticed issues with other sites on the same server - one is a scientific consulting info site with no ecommerce.

Today I did a thorough server analysis and found a couple of things - HUGE log files (that weren't being rotated) and mysterious lines in the apache error_log generated by G. This is a dedicated server, and site speed is fantastic - the host support team is working on these issues now, so it's being addressed.

I'm not really asking a question about SEO here - just wanted to throw open a discussion about server issues and how they may impact a site's standing.

How much time and energy do you think full-time affiliates dedicate to this side of things? Those mysterious apache error messages may have been part of a bigger problem..

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    How much time and energy do you think full-time affiliates dedicate to this side of things? Those mysterious apache error messages may have been part of a bigger problem..
    Not sure what you're asking

What kind of apache error messages?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

It was a vague question as I'm trying to avoid all those one-line posts from "savvy" SEO folks who don't even read the thread

I started troubleshooting my server as it relates to SEO - looking at apache logs for crawl stats & error messages, also to make sure the crawlers weren't being IP blocked (have seen than happen before).

Noticed this error generated daily by G and other IP addresses:
    Invalid method in request \x16\x03
    Was curious about other publishers - is server management a recurring task? I do monitor domain logs for errors, but crawling uses up so much space, I seem to have missed some signs of trouble.

It was a vague question as I'm trying to avoid all those one-line posts from "savvy" SEO folks who don't even read the thread
    Just move their nonsensical crap to their own post and let them talk to themselves...

Was curious about other publishers - is server management a recurring task?
    For those of us that have dedicated servers, yes - spend a few hours a week going over logs, firewalls, etc. However, don't recall ever having any search engine problems because of a server <knock on wood>...

Invalid method in request \x16\x03
    That error appears to be related to errors with SSL certs...

Just move their nonsensical crap to their own post and let them talk to themselves...
    That's a great idea!... we should probably create a master thread and drop all the useless one-liners there.

I also have a dedicated server, but unfortunately don't have a developer to take care of these things - so I chose a host with fantastic support. However, I'm still the one who has to review logs, and bring something unusual to their attention.

Last year, G tripped mod-security and the crawler IP was blocked from the server - traffic dropped for 3 days until I discovered the problem. This is the reason I started to look at the server now... didn't find crawler IPs blocked, but the above message might be a flag..

7. Thanks From:

That error appears to be related to errors with SSL certs...
    Thanks, yes, I had reported that to hosting support, but my site doesn't have a cert... nor should any of these bots be looking for https...

Seems G has encountered problems at the crawl level that I haven't been aware of (beyond basic 404s & what is reported in WMT).

Seems G has encountered problems at the crawl level
    Remember, the G will attempt to crawl non-existent directories and paths and even attempt to use your site's search function...

Are you sure it's really G? Could it be a bad bot probing your server in G clothing? superCool gets weird requests from bots that are looking for vulnerabilities. Some of them know of old security holes in plugins etc. and look for sites that have not patched them yet.

Good luck getting it sorted out. If it's not one thing it's another.

(move to worthless thread if you want)

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    That's a great idea!... we should probably create a master thread and drop all the useless one-liners there.
    One line responses are SPAM and should be removed. You can delete as SPAM but not penalize the first time then ban the second. This goes for introductions as well. One liners by member is a different thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    One liners by member is a different thing.
    Yeah...

Chuck, I wasn't really being serious.. it just would be nice to throw them all in their own useless thread.

And superCool, your comments are always welcome!! I often think 'WWSCD?'....

As for the error message, my server support was able to replicate the message - it's numerous attempts to visit the domain via https. I have no SSL cert, nor do I have plans of getting one.

The IPs are definitely Google, Bing, as well as some others.. but G has been the busiest...

Host suggested I create a 301 from https to http, but that sounds like a bad idea.. or I can install a cert for $50/year. They said it could be a good thing considering the ecommerce nature of the domain, however I'm worried adding one more thing that needs to be managed.

I just finished teaching myself some new php tricks, and frankly I'm tired.

Ahhh.. I just remembered there WAS a cert on my site - 5 years ago, I was selling tote bags for a pal for a few months!! I think I'll just put one on there now, and get rid of the pesky messages.

I'm feeling a little sheepish now.. was jumping up and down insisting there was no SSL..

Been a long few months here...

I got no time to read the thread, but when G. says jump, you better keep on, jumping...

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread