Time to give up on the SEO dream?
    Found this article and thought it was pretty interesting. What do you guys think? Is SEO dead? I don't think so. The focus may have changed from keyword stuffing tactics and what not to a more content driven focus, but SEO is still alive and well, as long as the search engines are still around

Give up the SEO dream?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McRevo View Post
    What do you guys think? Is SEO dead?
    Sure hopes so. Maybe the P.O.S. "experts" will be out of business and quit spamming...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Yeah Yeah SEO is dead and the world is really flat. Just another effort at an alarmist article possibly to promote something, or am I becoming too cynical
    0 to $1m before I am 70, Ok maybe 71 !!! (April 2013)
    You Can Eat Our Noodles Without Gaining A Pound
    What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare.

Nah, you're not being too cynical. I kind of had the same reaction. Don't really agree with the article but I thought it could be a good topic for discussion

SEO is dead..?? I get where the author is coming from, but it shouldn't be abandoned.

Perhaps the days of SEO as a "profession" is over, but the concept is still very important, and possible to manage.

In my recent struggles, I have learned a lot about websites... both design and architecture. I suspect there are many people out there who don't even realize they have problems under the hood. If you read Google's webmaster guidelines carefully, there is good information there.

Throwing on a Wordpress site, adding a fun template and installing plugins does not guarantee your content will get ranked, and not because you don't have good content. My sister runs an old-school HTML site with lots of content daily, and she has stayed on Page 1 for years... my new philosophy is to keep it simple.

With Google's new "rank adjustment period" patent, SEO is becoming an art, not a science.

Interesting read tho.. thanks for sharing, as I can identify..

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    Throwing on a Wordpress site, adding a fun template and installing plugins does not guarantee your content will get ranked, and not because you don't have good content. My sister runs an old-school HTML site with lots of content daily, and she has stayed on Page 1 for years... my new philosophy is to keep it simple.
    I have had really good experience with unique content on sparse hand coded HTML sites. I have also had bad experience with unique content on thrown up wordpress sites. I doubt there's too much to that other than dumb luck on certain keywords, but a simple, quick, and easy to parse HTML site can win brownie points in my experience.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

7. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post
    I have had really good experience with unique content on sparse hand coded HTML sites. I have also had bad experience with unique content on thrown up wordpress sites. I doubt there's too much to that other than dumb luck on certain keywords, but a simple, quick, and easy to parse HTML site can win brownie points in my experience.
    Very interesting... I recently learned about code to content ratios, and I also have wondered if part of the Penguin change penalized Wordpress sites, due to their abused role in article marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by debebians View Post
    I also have wondered if part of the Penguin change penalized Wordpress sites, due to their abused role in article marketing.
    I don't understand that could you help me out here please

Thanks
    0 to $1m before I am 70, Ok maybe 71 !!! (April 2013)
    You Can Eat Our Noodles Without Gaining A Pound
    What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare.

debebians, you bring up an excellent point - CMS apps are very easy to use, but it's easy to forget that G is crawling under the hood. After installing a new template, my site dropped in ranking - I have no doubt some of my recent performance issues were a direct result. Too many scripts & special effects, inefficient code, etc.

It reminds me of a thread I started a few months ago..
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/midni...ss-156485.html

Quote Originally Posted by daiarian View Post
    I don't understand that could you help me out here please

Thanks
    Basically, a lot of the spammy article marketing techniques use Wordpress platforms to spam the web. Probably one reason for this is because it's easy to post to many Wordpress sites at once, so it's possible to post 50 spun versions of one article to 50 blogs / Wordpress sites. Because of this, you'll see a lot of very generic Wordpress sites / blogs around the Internet with spammy, questionable and weird content. This worked at one point for people trying to boost their rankings, but it does not work anymore.

12. Thanks From:

Interesting comments.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by debebians View Post
    Basically, a lot of the spammy article marketing techniques use Wordpress platforms to spam the web.
    Not to mention they are changing the dates of their existing "articles" over and over again to get them indexed as "current"...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

15. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread