SEO and Redirects
    Hi guys,

Is the most friendly way to redirect a domain name a 301?

Thanks
    Jason

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    What exactly do you wish to accomplish?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Firstly thanks for the replies.
    At the moment i am doing more research. Having really only focused on paid traffic i am now moving into organic as well.

My initial thinking is if i have one affiliate site with a generic name, ie allmynichesites.com i can dedicate 1 page per niche. Then purchase the individual niche domain i.e niche 1.com niche 2.com etc and just have them pointing to allmynichesites.com/niche1

My initial thinking is if i have one affiliate site with a generic name, ie allmynichesites.com i can dedicate 1 page per niche. Then purchase the individual niche domain i.e niche 1.com niche 2.com etc and just have them pointing to allmynichesites.com/niche1
    Huh??? Sounds overly complicated..

Affiliate marketing is about building one quality site to begin with - focus on one domain at a time before you start creating 301s to sub-domains. It also sounds like a duplicate content penalty waiting to happen.. and you don't want to be penalized before you even start, if you happen to get it wrong.

I think you need to re-think your definition of affiliate marketing. It's not a series of landing pages!

Quote Originally Posted by LowkeyCT View Post
    Your individual niche domains would never get indexed - therefore no one will ever go to them in order to be redirected...

yeah i get the one quality site and yes unique fresh content etc etc.
    What i am trying to find out is if i create one site called howidressinthemorning.com and i set one page ro subdomain for shoes and another for socks. Then by buying the domain mymorningsocks.com can i redirect it to howidressinthemorning.com/mymorningsocks and similaly for howidressinthemorning.com/mymorningshoes using 301 without getting into trouble. each having their own content about my morning socks or shoes

do you understand my thinking or am i way off?

OK GREAT THANKS! thats great info. so will not get indexed thank you.

do you understand my thinking or am i way off?
    I understand, but the question is why you would want to do that..?

If you create a site about "howidressinthemorning.com", you can create sections dedicated to socks, and then shoes (ie. all under the same domain). It then follows that the domain would become an authority on the topic, as you would have all that good content under one roof, so to speak.

Creating sudomains creates separate entities.. as Convergence said, they probably wouldn't get indexed. Write all your content in one place, and it will grow stronger. Avoid thin pages/sites at all costs.

GREAT STUFF! THANKS! right now i am researching which is best and it crossed my mind while trying to incoporate this long tail keyword idea and the reading so far has not giving me a definate yes or no. at least i can cross that off my list no thanks

have a great day.
    jason

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Kate View Post
    Yes 301 is recommended, but it all depends on what you want exactly.
    What?

12. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread