Who should get the referral
    Hi,

this question has probably already been asked a couple of times. I was wondering which affiliate should get the referral when the following happens. Visitor visits my site using the site of affiliate A and looks around. A couple of days later the same visitor visits my sites this time using a link from Affiliate B. This time the visitor signs up. Is affiliate A or B the referrer and has the right to future sales from this visitor?

Kind regards,

Nick

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    The way thing are currently setup affiliate B will get the commission. There is preliminary conversation about attribution going on but little is being done to add it to traditional networks.

Hi Chuck,

thanks for the reply. I will be starting my own in-house program in a couple of months. So I would like to do what is best for the affiliate. Reading your answer I sense that you feel affiliate A should get the referral. But at the moment the big boys are giving the referral to B. Am I correct?

Kind regards,

Nick

No I didn't give you my opinion, I answered your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Boajobs View Post
    Hi,

this question has probably already been asked a couple of times. I was wondering which affiliate should get the referral when the following happens. Visitor visits my site using the site of affiliate A and looks around. A couple of days later the same visitor visits my sites this time using a link from Affiliate B. This time the visitor signs up. Is affiliate A or B the referrer and has the right to future sales from this visitor?

Kind regards,

Nick
    Hi Nick,

I think there is a problem with your question!

"Visitor visits my site using the site of affiliate A"

"A couple of days later the same visitor visits my sites this time using a link from Affiliate B."

If you're not affiliate A, or Affiliate B, I think you're at the mercy of whatever hit the fan...

A little clarification

Visitor comes from site of affiliate A. So I write a cookie to the computer saying visitor was referred by affiliate A. Couple of days later, same visitor now comes from site of affiliate B. Do I overwrite the cookie originally set by affiliate A, or not?

Kind regards,

Nick

A little clarification

Visitor comes from site of affiliate A. So I write a cookie to the computer saying visitor was referred by affiliate A. Couple of days later, same visitor now comes from site of affiliate B. Do I overwrite the cookie originally set by affiliate A, or not?

Kind regards,

Nick
    Nick!

Are you talking as an affiliate, or as a merchant?

I'm talking as a merchant. Which affiliate should I give credit?

Are you on a network or using your own tracking technology? The industry standard is last cookie gets the commission. If you are able to determine then split between the two or some hybrid of that.

Ok thanks. I am using my own tracking technology. Will follow the industry standard.

You need to evaluate both of those affiliates and if you have the ability split the commissions. The industry standard is 10 years+ and there due to laziness, not because it is the best solution.

Affiliate Manager
    Hi,

Kind regards,

Nick
    Going to speak as an advertiser.

Its impossible to know what is going on in a customers head. What if Affiliate A didnt close the deal? What if Affiliate B closed the deal? Just because Affiliate A sent the customer to you first, doesnt necessarily mean he closed the deal with the customer. As a big advertiser the commission should go to the affiliate that closed the deal so Affiliate B.

The problem with that simple answer is "what if Affiliate A did all the work and Affiliate B just got lucky and happen to be there when the sale closed?". My problem with what you wrote is "a couple of days later" part. That is really close. If it was a month later then my answer is above.

However, since its only a couple of days, if you are small enough and run your own program, I would take Chucks advice and split the commission. After all you are in charge. That way both affiliates get something and are allowed to further push your program.
    Ray Khooda
    Affiliate Manager
    Email: [email]Ray.k@uprinting.com[/email]

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PrintRay View Post
    Going to speak as an advertiser.

Its impossible to know what is going on in a customers head. What if Affiliate A didnt close the deal? What if Affiliate B closed the deal? Just because Affiliate A sent the customer to you first, doesnt necessarily mean he closed the deal with the customer. As a big advertiser the commission should go to the affiliate that closed the deal so Affiliate B.

The problem with that simple answer is "what if Affiliate A did all the work and Affiliate B just got lucky and happen to be there when the sale closed?". My problem with what you wrote is "a couple of days later" part. That is really close. If it was a month later then my answer is above.

However, since its only a couple of days, if you are small enough and run your own program, I would take Chucks advice and split the commission. After all you are in charge. That way both affiliates get something and are allowed to further push your program.
    It's not the affiliate's job to "close the deal". That's the merchant's job. Affiliate's job is to pre-sell as much as possible and drive the traffic to the merchant.

So, Affiliate A sends the first click. For whatever reason, merchant's website couldn't convince the customer to pull the trigger. For whatever reason, the visitor left. Perhaps to see a competitor's product. Maybe they saw a coupon box that led them away, maybe to a competitor.

Few days later, shopper begins their search again. Sees another site - Affiliate B. Maybe Affiliate B has a coupon code, maybe not. Shopper clicks through - feels a sense of security since more than one site linked to the merchant. Maybe now customer is secure in purchasing.

All sorts of possible scenarios - last click wins works most of the time when multiple clicks are in the stream, unless a coupon site is involved - then you need to look at split commissions...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Actually, it is not universally true that the last affiliate gets the commission. It depends on the affiliate program or network. In fact, CJ gives credit to the first affiliate, or at least that is what I was told when my own purchase did not give me credit. Credit went instead to a coupon site that I had visited and clicked a link at the previous day. (Their link did not result in a usable coupon; so they not only stole my commission, but they had an expired coupon - one of many).

In my opinion, last cookie is better than first cookie.

I was particularly annoyed because I was making the purchase primarily to stay active in CJ. I have a big $14 now, but will probably lose most of it this month. I suppose there are niches where CJ merchants are a good fit, and you can earn money regularly, but I find it almost impossible to sell anything with any of their merchants. (My niche is music).
    ---
    Valerie Magee
    [URL=http://mageenet.net]MageeNET[/URL]

Actually, it is not universally true that the last affiliate gets the commission. It depends on the affiliate program or network. In fact, CJ gives credit to the first affiliate, or at least that is what I was told when my own purchase did not give me credit.
    I've never heard that nor seen in their documentation. Any time you do a self order or a test order you need to clear cookies to insure there are no others in the purchase path.

16. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    I've never heard that nor seen in their documentation. Any time you do a self order or a test order you need to clear cookies to insure there are no others in the purchase path.
    Well, that may be, but the fact remains that when the affiliate program manager asked CJ why I was not credited, she was told that the first cookie gets the commission. Perhaps she misunderstood (but she seemed smart enough to get it right); perhaps the CJ person she spoke to didn't know what he was talking about. But the fact remains that it is what happened; I clicked another affiliate link the day before I clicked mine, and the earlier click got the credit.
    ---
    Valerie Magee

I currently work with over 200 merchants across most of the major networks including CJ and not a single merchant that I work with credits the first click (that I am aware of). Valerie, You may want to talk to CJ directly regarding your commission. While it is certainly possible that CJ could credit the first click, it is highly unlikely that they could do that without the merchant's affiliate manger being aware of it.

I would also expect some mention of their commission arrangement in the merchant's TOS as it is non-standard. Perhaps the affiliate manager isn't being totally straight forward with you. I would certainly think that the situation warrants more investigation.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

19. Thanks From:

All very interesting. I am not going to pursue it for a bunch of reasons, not the least of which is that the money involved is infinitesimal. I made the purchase via an affiliate link to stay "active" in CJ, and that was more than 6 months ago. As it turned out, I had something else that kept me active - that time - so it didn't matter. The money involved was under $2.

Be that as it may, I am only repeating what I was told. The affiliate manager was new and did not set up the program, so perhaps her predecessor did request non-standard behavior. But CJ certainly did not tell her that, nor suggest that she could change the behavior to the "norm" if she wanted to do so.
    ---
    Valerie Magee

I would suggest that regardless of the amount involved, you really want to work with honest merchants and informed affiliate managers. So just for kicks and giggles, you may want to revisit the situation and see if the merchant's TOS references their click arrangement and insure that the affiliate manager's story remains consistent. Six months is certainly enough tome for the AM to be aware of their program terms.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread